Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you call this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, Aug 17, 2012.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Cool pickup, people are just clueless. Proof is that their probably giving you the thumbs up when they say these things. I like the advice in post 51.

2. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Just refer to the old saying,,,If I have to explain this vehicle to you ,,you wouldn't understand it any way .....

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You have a bitchin' little hot rod truck there, but we all have to accept that, while we understand cars, most people do not. Even guys who are into other forms of cars like muscle cars, drag cars, street rods, etc are sometimes not sure what to call our hot rods, so they simply use the old RR term.

I get mine called that too, and most times the guy is being complimentary, so I just let it pass and save my breath. We can't educate and save the whole world. As the old saying goes, "A rose by any other name would still be a rose."

Don

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I like your truck, looks like a hot rod to me. Can you guys define this RR thing for me?. (I am from the UK)
    If I built a car with a flathead, beam front axle, banjo rear and torque tube drive, forties drum brakes and steel spoke wheels but left the body/chassis unpainted and rusty would it be a R--rod? and if I built a car with independant front suspension, disc brakes a modern engine and painted it would that be a traditional hot rod?. I see plenty of both on here. Is it the stance? If I chop the car to the limit build the chassis low and chanel the body over it, is that a RR?. I see cars like that too.

I have seen cars in US mags decribed as r--rods that I would call traditional hot rods. Even flathead powered cars. The body/chassis may be un-painted and with visible repairs but to me that does not make it a rat rod. As far as I know 'back in the day' people often drove their cars as they built them so would have looked unfinished for a while at least. Some would never see paint I am sure.

Perhaps it would be easier to define 'traditional hot rod' - ..............Perhaps not.

David

5. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

What defines a rat rod is shitty paint, screaming metal death trap, gaudy lettering and fake bullet holes, flame throwers and the dumbass that drives it saying my car is better than your POS. Rat rods are the evil half brother of Hot rods.... Your truck is far from a Rat rod but the public seems to think everything pre 60s thats not restored is a rat rod... I hate to say it but rat rods will be the down fall of Hot rodding due to their unsafe nature.

6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Holy crap Deuces get your eyes checked for god sake!

7. upspirate

upspirate

Nice truck....let's go drink a beer!

8. deto

deto

A guy at work asks me once a month to build a turbo header for his 5 cylinder diesel Mercedes station wagon complete with a smoke stack so he can "have a rat rod just like that cool 52 Chevy chop top in the parking lot" its the general public man... Just grin and bear it...

9. Deuces

Deuces

Your right!..:(
    I'm only getting older..:( I need a new pair anyway... My next ones will probably have "Coke bottle" bi-focal lenses...:eek::eek:

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Id call it a SHOP TRUCK!!:)

11. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Where do you see a Model A?

No rusty jagged edges to slice your jeans on. No ordinary household items reconstituted into suspension parts. No plastic bowling alley chairs in the interior. No convoluted exhaust tubing made into headers or an intake manifold. Hell, there isn't even a pitman arm sticking out of the cowl. So far I'm not seeing a r** r**.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  12. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Sure looks like a hot rod to me mate!

13. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm... Read post # 70.. :rolleyes:

14. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

You need glasses. Great. If this looks like a r** r**, then 80% of the cars that raced back in the 40's looked like r** r**s.

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8073834]What defines a rat rod is shitty paint, screaming metal death trap, gaudy lettering and fake bullet holes, flame throwers and the dumbass that drives it saying my car is better than your POS. Rat rods are the evil half brother of Hot rods.... Your truck is far from a Rat rod but the public seems to think everything pre 60s thats not restored is a rat rod... I hate to say it but rat rods will be the down fall of Hot rodding due to their unsafe nature.[/QUOTE]

So why do so many cars that clearly are not 'R..Rods' get featured in magazines that insist on calling them that? It gets all unfinished (or never going to be finished) cars a bad name. (and cars/trucks like the one belonging to the o.p.)

David

16. Deuces

Deuces

Did they???.... :rolleyes:

17. Deuces

Deuces

Took another good look at the pictures... Guess it was just the motor and the color of the wheels that threw me off...
    Ok... It's a hot rod!

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thats a Hot Rod, beutiful and good looking! I dig the straight six! Stovebolt 216?

In my book, a rat rod is a POS, with no paint, lots of rust and the owner did a to make it look old/shitty. If you beat a car with a hammer and pull chains over the body then to give it Patina, and then give the paint brake fluid to fuck it up, thats a Rat Rod, and the owner is an Douch!
    If you find a barn find fix brakes and engine up, make it drivable and safe, then you are borderline between good old fashion Hot Rodding and Rat Rodding!
    If you built a car an your shop useing basic tools, good commen sense and the few money you got, 70-80% goes to motor, tranney and suspension. If you cant afford to buy what you want, build what you want. Invent stuff, be creative. If you have a straight six, use that. If you don't have the right wheel, use the ones you got, when you look for the ones you wants.
    Hot rods ain't one car, ain't one make, ain't one decade, ain't one style!
    If you can't afford to get it painted, painted it your self, and use rest of your money on go-parts.

If a stranger calls your car a Rat Rod, call him an Douch!
    Calling your car a Rat Rod, is like calling a Black man the N-word! Don't f@cking do it!!

Just my 2cents.

19. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Okay ease up on Deuces! We all make mistakes. I think he sees it a hot rod now.;) I would still get those eyes checked though.

20. Does'nt look like it was was built in a scrap heap challenge. What you have is a way cool hot rod.Put some caps on the wheels and that will really set it apart. Its a credit to you, enjoy it. :) JW

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

It's not a model A it's a 32 Chevrolet and they came with inline 6s new!
    Sorry Duece I got to learn to read farther into a thread i posted this after reading your first post not intended to be wise assed .

22. Deuces

Deuces

bump......:D:D:D

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I like it. It's a hot rod. Shame about the bow tie though. hee hee.

24. Deuces

Deuces

You could still buy these kits new with the same box art...

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

id say nice looking truck , i line the inline mill , drive it and enjoy it , and dont sweat the opinions , there will always be a lot of them

26. 40Pickup

40Pickup
    from Denver, PA

I've got a six banger in my hot rod and I've heard all the crap. There's always going to be some crank yanker with his opinion of what constitutes a hot rod. Follow him over to the parking lot and watch him drive away in his family truckster. Screw 'em! You have a bitchin' ride there!

27. flatout51

flatout51

Hot rod plain and simple.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. Deuces

Deuces

My F-150 threw a rod so I'm saving some cash for a new 5.0L short block... :rolleyes:

29. geezerkat

geezerkat

BEWARE!! Thin skin around here can be dangerous thing.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

from now on when I see any HOT ROD out in public I'm going to say "hey, nice rat rod you have there" just to see what they say.

if they get all bent I'll know I have met a fellow HAMBer. I don't think other car people really give a shit. it is obvious the words have no real meaning.