Register now to get rid of these ads!

just dragged this home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Taff, Dec 22, 2011.

1. desotot

desotot

I know where there are pair of convertibles that you need as well as some parts cars.

2. Taff

Taff

nope, it was already kinked. Luckily I know a man who is very handy and very patient with trim, and he works for beer. Thankfully, every last piece of trim is with the car and the majority of it is very, very straight.

@UNSHINED, strange to find two 2-dr post cars both in such a dull colour for that era? How are we ever gonna get them together for a picture?!?!

3. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they will ship to you Summit Racing sells 15" OE style wheels in several widths. I put a 7" all around on my 57 Custom tudor, fit fine no issues.

Attached Files:

4. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Mine is a little different than yours.....I have the early 59 hardtop, with the wrap around rear glass and you have the later Thunderbird style roof... but it would be neat to see em side by side, nonetheless.

I used the early 50's Mercury 15" wheels on mine. They are a little narrower than the later 15s, making it a little easier to change tires on a
    lowered car ;)

Just got back from Germany for work, now that I know what its like to travel like that, some time it would be fun to float that thing across the pond for a show you guys have over there.....

5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Save those "Clam Shell" front bumper extensions.....they are highly sought after over here.

6. Taff

Taff

some pics of the interior, along with the latest service sticker on the a-post, dated 1971

Attached Files:

7. Taff

Taff

they look like the dogs dick, very nice. What shade of red is that?

8. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i used crown vic wheels,100 bucks at the junkyard!

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      487.2 KB
      Views:
    • 087.jpg
      087.jpg
      File size:
      526.8 KB
      Views:
  9. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

57 Ford Flame Red, the primary color of my tudor.

10. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Congrats on your find!!!

11. Taff

Taff

I figured an update was probably about due.
    I got the engine turning over. It’s taken since Christmas, plenty of diesel down the bores and a 4 foot long length of bar to get her moving, but she gave her first full revolution since 1973 this morning. Still tight though, so I’ll over-fill her with a diesel/oil mix and keep at it until she is turning over smoothly. There doesn’t appear to be any specific tight spots within a revolution, or any notches or anything. I’ll keep working it until she is turning over smoothly and doesn’t need a 4 foot long bar to do it :D
    Away from the engine, I got hold of a set of useable radial tyres to get her mobile. They look very small (she still has her 14” steel wheels). I have a set of 15” whitewall cross plies for her but these will need new wheels. Strangely, the scrap yards over here aren’t dripping with early ‘50’s sedan’s to rob of their wheels.:cool:
    <O:p</O:p
    Both the rockers are completely shot, inners and outers. The inner is reasonably simple flat steel (easiy enough to replicate) and the outers are available for $20 a side from RockAuto which makes that all in all makes it a pretty straightforward task. Ditto the trunk floor which is rotted out in a few places but again its flat steel so should be pretty easy to fix. The outer rear panel below the trim line is quite badly rusted, which may present a challenge. Or I could just put the aluminium trims back on and hide the rust&#8230;&#8230; easy!!;)
    There were a lot of &#8220;low-level&#8221; things, stuff like stuck switchgear, stiff levers and mechanisms, you know? Door locks, e-brake, vent windows etc. Two months of penetrating oil and gentle pressure has fixed all of those up.
    The cloth seat panels got a good misting using fabric softener and have absorbed it very well. I was almost scared to sit on the seats for fear of them splitting, but now they are lovely and supple again . That tip came from here, can't remember who it was, but thanks to the HAMB once more.

couple of pics from today, the last one is my bearded dragon who like to climb onto my shoulder while i surf the HAMB.....

Attached Files:

12. jesse1980

jesse1980

pretty clean complete old ford. nice car man.

13. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Wow that brings back memories the first car i remember pop havin 59 Ford
    it was black two door fairlane 500,,Enjoy it my freind

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If I remember correctly the 59 Fords won many styling and beauty awards when they were introduced in 1958. I always thought the 57s were the best looking of the late 50s Fords but in their day the 59s were the award winners.

15. afaulk

afaulk

Good score, i'll bet those are as rare as hens teeth in the UK! I bought one in 1967, a very nice car, except missing engine/trans for the princely sum of $10. Hope ya enjoy yours.

16. Taff

Taff

the amount of import tax is based on if the car can be "of historical interest" or not.
    According to the UK DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Authority) website, there are no other '59 Galaxies registered in the UK!!

17. I had one just like it when I was 12 and my dad and brother got it running for me on my 13th birthday.It was very solid and I used it as a field car 2 years and sold it for $35 (I paid $1!).That was in 1970 I ,wish I still had it!

18. '70s, '80s...?

19. Why did I not see this until now?
    Looking good man!

20. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I too have a 59 Ford. Love them! Mine's full model designation is a 1959 Ford Fairlane Galaxie 500 Skyliner Yes she's badged as both a Galaxie 500 and a Fairlane! Only for 6 months did they do that. 352 (soon with 3x2 carbs) /cruise-o-matic. Pwr steering/brakes. Wimbleton white (as yours) with blue interior.

One thing to be careful of is the turn switch switch mechanisim. They are hard to get and expensive too. Many parts are available through a couple suppliers.

The wheels are a common 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. 15" work fine and if you plan on going to disk brakes, they are a requirement for clearance.

Attached Files:

21. gatz

gatz

22. Taff

Taff

worth knowing, my turn switch feels a little odd, though it seems to work both sides it doean;t feel like it has any separate positions in there, you know? Though to get at it, first I have to figure out how to get the centre boss and steering wheel off without breaking anything!! any advice?

23. Taff

Taff

thought I would bring this thread up to date.

after getting the motor freed up and running here:-
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655955
    and yes I have a video but no youtube account to post it yet!!

a lot of other work has gone through it, without much in the way of pics, mostly due to the nature of the work being restoration rather than hot rodding or kustom touches.

anyhow, the tread plates came off last week to repair the rockers and we found those holes. They aren't in any pattern or anything and are made with a brick chisel right through the top of the rocker.

any ideas?

Attached Files:

24. 296moon

296moon
    from england

perhaps it was used in "french Connection"........