Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Dodge DR streetrod project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RK, Aug 15, 2012.

1. RK

RK

I have started a 1934 Dodge / Ply COUPE streetrod project and am looking for ALLOT of help.

First while I know that the body is a 1934, I do not know if it is a Dodge or a Plymouth. There are no badges on any part of the body. I have been told that the Dodge & Plymouth are identical in their sheet metal ??

Can anyone tell me how I decide what I have???

I have the frame boxed and have a 9" Ford rear end installed. With all new attachment hardware. I plan on putting a Mustang 2 front end on it.

From there, I am in need of a drivers side rear quarter panel. This car must have been laying on its rear quarter panel and a large part of the panel is gone. When I bought it I thought I would be able to find one from someone that maybe had a car that was wrecked on the passenge's side and had used the rest of the body for parts. But no luck so far and I have been looking for a while. I am can do repair work put the panel has compound curves and they look tough to make.

I am also in need of allot of other parts.

Doors. I have a driver's door but it is really ruff. I have bought a passenger door out of Canada but when I got it it turns out to have a square top instead of the rounded top to fit the car.

Trunch lid. Again I have one put it is very ruff.

Hood

Rear fenders. The car came with fiberglass fenders, but I want to put steel ones on the car.

Running boards

Bumpers

Head lights

I have purchased patch panels for the big rust areas and am in the process of replacing those ares of the car.

If there is anyone out there that has excess parts or knows of anywhere that might have these parts, PLEASE, send me the information.

Thanks for your help and info.

Dick

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

There was a place in West Virginia called Ply-Do. I've gotten parts from them for my 33 Plymouth coupe in the past. I've heard they are no longer in business but have now found out thats not true. After the owner Tom Bryant passed away that rumor started. They are still in business. Go to [email protected] and phone 304-475-3245. They should have what you need. Hope this helps.
    Gary

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  3. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

hey there, search my threads i started and look for the one that i requested photo of other dodge projects. there is a female hamber that has a donor car, dont know the condition or what parts she may still have available.

also post a pic over there, would love to see what you are working on.

you will see my 34 dodge 4 door.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Plymouth and Dodge MAY have shared bodies that year but the Dodges were on a longer wheelbase chassis.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not too sure about Dodges having a longer wheel base then Plymouths. My 33 Plymouth PD had the long wheel base. I believe all the other models such as PC had the short wheel base.

6. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Bodies are the same..yes there are different WB...dodge has an extra reveal on the front fender plymouth did not,33 fenders are just swept back on sides where as 34 fenders have an extra side skirt just behind tire.If I saw a picture of the dash you could ID 33 from 34 also. Hope some of this helps

7. Old Dude

Old Dude

Put picture of Grille or Shell, and I believe i can tellyou what you have !
    Cruise On
    Old Dude !

8. Rich R

Rich R
    from SoCal

The Plymouth dash instrument cluster is oval, the Dodge cluster is oval with squared sides.

9. The square topped door is a 1933 ply/dodge door.

10. Old Dude

Old Dude

Call Danny at Danny's Rod Shop in Summerset, Ky. He has a Web page !
    Cruise On
    Old Dude

11. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I had a '34 Plymouth PE coupe that was the larger wheelbase...

Would your stock front suspension still be intact by chance? The '34 Mopars had factory IFS and drove and handled great (at least mine did). If it's salvagable I'd use it rather than the "everybody's-got-one" MII.

Good luck with your build and post some pics!

12. RK

RK

The original FS is gone. I'm going with the MII front end. Then I can have the modern power steering and disc brakes.

13. RK

RK

It has been awhile since I have been able to get on here.

Work, work, and more work.

Here are some pics of the start of my '34 project.

Started with 4 pieces. Trunk section. Cowl section. Frame. Center and windows.

Now have the body assembled and mounted to the frame.

Have a 9" Ford in place and am moving on to rust repair.

Anyone that would have doors, a trunk lid, running boards, or hood parts, or know where I can get them PLEASE give me a reply.

Attached Files:

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 33 Plymouth PD with a Mll and Nova rear end is a great driving car.

15. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I dont know if sedan parts will work for you but send me a PM if they will and I will give you a friends number with some stuff.

16. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 31 dodge 3w coupe wheel base is about 114''. Ask dodger31 he knows alot about 30's vehicles.

17. ram-rod

ram-rod

The dash you use will determine which guards and grill you need. In 33 there were three wheel bases'. The DP. Was 111 inches. The DP. Came in 115 inches and the DO 122 inches...A. Model.DQ was offered out of Canada. And a knock down body CKD was sent to England
    In 34 there were two offerings the deluxe DS 121inches and the DR at 117 inches. DRXX came later. But still at 117 inches. My source of this info is the dodge story. By Thomas A Mc Pherson

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  18. ram-rod

ram-rod

Once you decide on a dash board and a wheel base. That will tell you,The length of fenders
    And running boards you need. Long wheel base cars make up the stretch. Though the front fenders and bonnet valance pannels.
    You will be needing a set of doors off a coupe or Tudor sedan. Though I'm not sure the latter is a perfect fit. One part you will need is a rocker. Or scuttle pannel. It is about two inches 50 mm high. And runs under the door. It seems to always be missing. On any wrecks I find. It is also the capping for the edge of floor boards. And part of the draft seal dodge was so proud of in 34. I couldn't work out why the bottom of my doors didn't fit. My body.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  19. ram-rod

ram-rod

What if mine is a Plymouth I here you ask. I always thought the Plymouth was a more expensive option. With there dainty grills and what seems like nicer chrome and vertical grill bars
    BUT here on the HAMB. I found out they where the cheaper option

20. RK

RK

Good day to all:

It has been a while since I have posted. Been under the weather lets say.

I am getting back to my 34 Dodge coupe project and am still looking for body parts.

I see allot of 34 Dodge and Plymouth cars on the net, so there must be parts cars out there somewhere.

If anyone has any body parts available or if you know of a location that may have parts please let me know.

Still looking for:

Passenger door
    Trunk lid
    Running boards
    Rear (metal) fenders

Thanks

Dick