Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grant Vehicle Security System

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus

I've been driving my '36 "Special Construction" roadster quite a bit lately. It has no top. Family/friends have asked how I keep a thief from stealing it. After all, it is a rolling auto parts depot. What do you think of the Grant steering wheel removal system GRT-2001? Suppose to foil thieves by allowing quick and easy removal of the steering wheel with a lock-out cap on the steering column that is undefeatable? Hmmm. Anyone have any comments on this device? It seems "The Club" can be defeated with a hack saw. Cut the steering wheel and pull the club off. I've got hidden fuel petcock, hidden toggle switch for elec fuel pump, "The Club", and coil switch.

2. davesvintage

davesvintage

Hmmmm! So you go out to dinner, park the car, remove steering wheel, lock the hub and now have to tote a steering wheel around with you or check it where you eat. What if someone steals it either as a joke or for real. Anything is possible! Most stolen cars are towed as it's quick and easy! You seem to have common sense and some backup systems so maybe a GPS would be more cost effective.

3. I have a quick release wheel on my roadster,so when we go out to eat I take the wheel off and carry it a spare laptop bag. Easy to carry,and you don't look so dorky carrying a steering wheel around the restaurant. I also have a hidden ignition switch,which also disables the fuel pump..As much as possible I try to get a seat where I can keep an eye on my car.

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

Davesvintage, I have given thought to a hidden cell phone in the car. Allows car to be located by the authorities provided the theives don't find it first. Considered Low Jack with the early warning system...not cheap, about $700.00. Doesn't work at sea tho. Hmmmmm Maybe a pressure sensitive ice pick under the seat. :rolleyes:

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It would stop some people, but it's not enough to keep the car from being stolen. Being smart and keeping an eye on it is the best first line of defense. For me, driving a desirable vehicle is nearly as much a liability as it is enjoyable.

Something to think about: Some race cars have removable steering wheels to facilitate getting in and out. Those units are high quality and quite a bit more expensive than the Grant unit. I assume Grant isn't killing too many people with theirs, but I would take a good look at one before buying.

6. davesvintage

davesvintage

Cerberus......:Yeah, I know! Maybe a pitbull, but they cost money too. Probably the best thing is just our common sense and always keep it in eyesight. I've owned rods and bikes and luckily none were stolen while I was using them. The main thing is drive them to enjoy as we are only caretakers and we're not taking them with us!!! Or can we????

7. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I am not a big fan of Lo Jack. If you go with one of those, go with the On Star.

Obviously if you want something bad enough, they will get it. You have a lot of switches already. Biggest thing is common sense now. Watching where you park it, controlling keys, and generally keeping eyes on it while you are out to eat is best you can do.

8. metal man

metal man

As said above,most cars are stolen using some sort of tow truck these days. I sure as heck don't want to carry my steering wheel around with me.

I'm liking the idea of some sort of GPS locator. Lack of a steering wheel will only stop amateur thieves, but with a GPS deal at least you are likely to get it back.

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

One of my wife's co-workes had Lo Jack. His car was stolen one night. Morning of the following day the Lo Jack unit was sitting in the spot where the car had been. At least the thieves had a sense of humor.

10. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Separate cell phone, well hidden, with a battery charger. They pull the car battery, cell still has power, hope for a signal. Then a "find my phone" app will work. If thieves have enclosed trailer with RF shielding you are sunk anyway.

Hmmm, maybe find or write an iPhone app that uses the accelerometer. Turn it on when you are expecting the car not to move at all, and it texts your other phone if it moves. Wind may set it off but you'd have a chance of catching them in the act. Used 1st gen iPhones are fairly cheap and you might not even need a data plan.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I had one of those on another car I had and it worked great. It comes with a nice bag to carry the wheel in. I saw the best answer at LARS this year. It is an emergency brake lock. It stays on even if you lose power. It is actuated by a hidden button and can only be deactivated by the same button. Some outfit in Paramount makes them, they aren't cheap, about $500 but worth it.

12. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

You can also do a line lock - at least you can follow the skids if towed!

13. uncle buck

uncle buck

I also looked at that. It was called " E-STOPP ". Their web site is www.estopp.com . If I remember correctly, it is gear actuated and pulled around 500lbs and I thought it was closer to the $350-400 range.

14. trollst

trollst

There really is only one way....after years of riding harley davidsons, if I can't see it, it don't get parked. Motorcycles aren't ridden off when they're stolen, a two ton van with a power tailgate shows up, two big strong fools maneuver it into the truck, gone. Hot rods are stolen by tow trucks the same way repos are done, a wheel lift comes, spirits the car around the corner, gets out when the coast is clear, ties it up, nobody asks questions, when you last saw a car on the hook, did you ask? No theft protection works like your own eyes.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I had one of the quick disconnect steering wheel hubs on my 23, like they use on drag cars. I would quite often take the wheel off and carry it with me into a hotel or restaurant. I did get some odd looks, but that's ok, at least I knew if they stole my car I had a steering wheel to start building the next one with. :p

Don

16. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

I use to install alarms for a living....If they REALLY want it they will flat bed it. Best cheap alarm is to leave the car unlocked...so they don't smash the windows. Detach the steering wheel and cut fuel. Like I said that is even over kill. Most kids who are trying to steal a car wont get past the car missing a wheel. A simple blinking LED mounted by dash scares the kids from looking in you glovebox. You could always chain the axle to a pole:) Oh and leave some empty shotgun shells on the floor and seat....that helps:)

17. Cerberus

Cerberus

Oldsmell: I will be going to RadioShack today, to see if RS sells the LED blinking light.

I looked at the professional Quick Release Steering Hubs for race cars. A lot of companies at Summit Racing and Pitstopusa . com.....Moroso, Sweet, Allstar, DPI, etc. Their instructions say they are a weld on steering column coupler. When the steering wheel is off, a coarse splined or hex shaft is exposed. The problem I see with these Quick Release Systems is a big pair of Vicegrips can steer the car, and there is no lock-out cap on the column. They are mainly designed to make getting in and out of a race car easier. So, I will probably get the "Grant-2001 vehicle security steering wheel removal system."

Thanks for all the suggestions.