Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 60 F100 as it sits!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

The chrome grille was a factory item. If you got the "Custom Cab" package, you got the chrome grille, stainless windshield trim, chrome script on the doors, and a nice chrome horn ring. My truck was originally a plain jane with a painted grille ... I got the chrome one on eBay because the original one was badly rusted.

2. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

Sometinemes the three on the trees linkages get jammed up when worn...

Block the tires so the truck doesn't run you over..
    Rock the truck slightly , pull on the linkage rods either under the hood or under the truck, one of the rods needs to be pulled or pushed then it should shift....Unless its broke...which isn't likely.

Greg

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Why is your typing so wild looking? I just woke up on the floor with a pant leg full of logs! That some government font? :D
    Looks fuggin killer chrome man!Thanks for the edgamacation! :)

4. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

A buddy of mine gave me a bunch of old car parts that were scrap and some old alum slotted mags,most weren't even a set and a couple were pairs and low and behold,a pair fits perfect on my 60. :) Now I just gotta find some rear 15X10's.Its nice getting shit for "$Free.99"[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

We got a saying around here..."if it's free,it's for me"

Nice score on the mags,they look bitchin'.Good luck and keep the pics comin!

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey the truck looks good with them slots on it. As for free, I'm such a cheap bastard I want a discount on free stuff. :rolleyes: :D
    When you gonna fix that spring? A set of reversed eye springs would bring the front down a few inches, had 'em on my '56 F100. (see avatar)

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Had to Photoshop this one. Your truck would look pretty good like this methinks. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Damn man,that's wicked sharp indeed! Thanks for doing that for me :) and i'm soo broke I can't pay attention right now. I'd like to buy the front end lowering kit for it. I just got a free cherry picker to yank the "292/3 spd" and I found a few running Ford V8's but they are the shitty "400 M's". I'm trying to find a 302/auto combo to stab in her for now and pickle the 292/3spd to build later when fundage allows.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yeah, I like the way it turned out too! :D The 302 would be alot easier for sure. Can't beat it for reliability and ease of finding parts. I seem to remember seeing a bolt in crossmember for it, maybe on LMC? As for the trans mount, most of the Ford sites have those for pretty cheap.
    The 400M is actually an okay motor for a daily driver, I rebuilt one for a friend in his late '70s F150 and we were surprised how well it ran with just a small cam & headers. I'd heard they were crappy motors but that one ran well for a long time.

10. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Well My truck officially has a nickname and its"The Hantavirus" I cut the exhaust off it and I found more dead mice carcasses in the pipe so after cleaning out the interior that was full of them. Only god knows what the hells inside the motor*shivers*

11. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

12. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

THANK GOD you got rid of those wire hub caps! I would have popped them off and dumped them in a gas station garbage can before I even got the truck home :)

13. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

They were metal,I scrap for extra $$ so they got"recycled" :D

14. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Got a question for my fellow Fridge year fanatics,where could I find and how hards it to install 50 Pontiac tailites on our trucks?

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Speedway has them... w/ or w/o blue dots.... I bought a pair for mine, haven't installed them but they look pretty straight forward!

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

Make sure you get the stainless ones though.... you don't want that cheap chrome rusting! :(

17. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Friend Tim installs them on all his builds. There is some cutting you have to do to get the new assembly to seat. I think he uses a jig or saws-all. Then drill hole though the bed to attach mounting bolt.

[​IMG]

18. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Nice SCORE on the truck. I cant believe how clean it is!!!

I didn't read the reason WHY it was parked for 16 years?

What is the update on the stuck trans? I like the idea of bumping it. Some of the tractors our company works on come to our shop w/ forzen clutches. We jerk them around the yard and they soon come un stuck. I've also had experience w/ the gears jamming due to colum shift.

Do you have an idea on why or how the front springs were broken? Was the grandson jumping the creek w/ it? hahaha.

I vote for keeping the unusual mill. Nothing better than odd motors...seriously, if it was good enough for Gramps it should be good enough for us. I believe its worth the extra effort.

Cant wait to see a smiling face behind the wheel of your new hauler, scootin down the road.

19. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Thanks Chadillac on the info bout the tailites and HotRod1959 for the info on installing them. And thanks Dropout for the info on getting it unstuck. As for the front springs,well Grandpa used the old girl hard pulling out peach tree stumps and hauling around stuff on his farm and i think that's the reason why one was busted. He parked it due to the trans getting stuck and he was in his 80's at the time and decided just to park it in his barn. and after about 10 years it started to fall apart and to avoid it coming down on the truck,he park it behind the barn where the woods took it over. I would like to see if I could get the motor running as I remember it ran like a scalded assed ape when it did.

20. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ok its been a looong time since I update this project. The truck in the back 40 as some asshead neighbor called code enfarcement on me and I had to move it there. The good news is I well at least hope I got a better 57-60 half ton front axle and springs I needed. I also got some rear meats that are going on it as soon as I can find some 15X10 steelies to paint satin black. I also have an engine for it now and its a*drumroll* Mopar 318 I got it for $FREE.99 its got 100K and came with my brothers 90 Ramcharger 4x4 he's building so since hes got a firebreathing 360 going in his R/C he gave me the extra motor.I also got a Yuengling beer Keg I'm gonna make a gas tank out of.

I found out yesterday that my grandfather whom I got this truck from is going downhill :-( And I had alotta good memories of him driving it with me riding along with him as a kid so I'm really gonna try and get on this thing and get it on the road now more than ever .
    [​IMG]
    I removed the bent up from bumper and hammered straight the front pass. side frame horn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My 8 month old Pitt puppy"Wez" trying to make off with my truck :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  21. Blake84

Blake84

22. Sorry to hear about your Gramps man..been there.
    Trucks gonna be sweet!

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Jon, good to see you post here. I was just thinking that if anyone could help with info on the Mopar motor install you could, since you did it in your '59. Man I dig the HAMB! lol

24. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I got access to a 1985 727 out of a ram charger and all i'd nee was the 2wd tailshaft. the prob is the trans hasn't been used since 1993 so i'll prob have to go through it first or would all this be worth messing with?

25. 77powerwagon

77powerwagon

hanta virus gasser build!! great looking truck good luck with the build!

26. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ok,am about to FINALLY yank the dead 292/ 3spd. what should I save on the engine and trans that a Y block fan would want?

27. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

If it has a pvc valley pan that is worth something. 4 barrel intake? If you were closer I would take the whole thing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  28. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Surely somebody will buy the complete engine from you.

29. Rob68

Rob68

The rust in the floor there looks eerily similar to the rust in my 58.

30. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ok,here's a minor update, first I blew a chance on scoring a running 390/C6 for 250$ :mad: and after dragging it back out in front on my driveway I yanked the heater core/mouse sarcophagus and driveshaft and took the rear dryrotted and now flatter than shit rears and slapped on some 34 inch mud tires I had that surprisingly fit lol. I may use the rims for now and add some street tires on the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012