Register now to get rid of these ads!

stretch an AD cab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anteek, Aug 14, 2012.

1. anteek

anteek

Would it still be traditional if I stretched my AD chevy cab 8-9 inches? I'm a fat Mfer and want to make my '50 LWB into a SWB. I scored a SWB bed and could shorten the frame 9 inches OR stretch the cab. Any opinions? any pics of one stretched?

2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I think it's glassguy here on the HAMB that stretched one.....I think his was bout 5 inches and it looks fine....furthermore my father in law stretched the cab of a 46 Chevy 6ish inches and it as well looks fine.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think it'll kill the proportions of that style truck... They are cramped though!!!

4. See if someone will do a photoshop for you, but I agree with Chaddilac- 55 2nd series and up look okay stretched, but the earlier years just don't look right.

5. Not sure what an AD is, but here's what we did with a '57.

Attached Files:

6. i say go for it. i think much would be ok and look good. but a photochop would be good to see before hand.

7. Advanced Design truck...A.D.

[​IMG]

8. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I think it is a great idea. Anything to make it more comfortable for yourself is a good idea in my book. Photoshop would give you some good ideas for sure..

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

A.D. stands for Anno Domini.:rolleyes:

10. There was a red one up here, did the show circuit
    a few years back. Stretched 7".
    You really couldn't tell, it was very well done.
    I may have to dig up a picture of that.

11. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Your in the AD group there are some that have been done. I have seen some that looked good to me and others that did not. It can be done to look right thats for sure. I think a couple inch in the doors and acoupe in the cab would take less away from the overall shock of a 6ft door.

12. Found this one quickly..

[​IMG]

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The best looking example of a stretched AD I ever saw was from a company in one of the Southern States. They stretched the cab in the doors. About 4 inches if I recall. I have also seen a '50ish F-1 done the same way. In both cases, the increased length was subtle and you kinda had to look at it a bit to catch the change. Inside though, where it counts, the difference is quickly noticeable.

Something to consider, perhaps.

Ray

14. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I always thought a stretch through the doors would be cool on a 30s truck but should be the same on an AD. Do about 4 inches, keep it subtle, then about a 3" chop.
    I still want to make a pickup out of this cab someday.
    [​IMG]

15. Gator

Gator

I think if you are very careful about the proportions, etc. it could be cool. To me that '57 above is a good example of how NOT to do it.

This one's not terrible...

[​IMG]

16. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

17. I did mine because my utility boxes were to short. I added 10 1/2 inches to the length and subtracted 9 1/2 inches from the height. I ate up a COE and a 55 chev 4 door for parts. if I were wanting a good looking truck I would move the B piller and find 2 extra doors and the back half of a cab for the stretch
    look at shop truck build at
    www.oldcarglassguy.com
    I don't think I'll ever have to worry about trophys but mine is strictly built for a work truck

Attached Files:

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

To me, those little 1/4 windows usually make or break the deal. More often break.

19. same reason needed space inside.....
    I did one of those for a guy from Texas,It was on a 80's chassis and I did it thru the doors only as I remember it was 6" longer ...that way the wheelbase was then matched with the longbed frame from the mid 80's...
    It actually looked good ,had the effect somewhat like a mild chop in it's appearance.

20. MilesM

MilesM

I will have to find a better side shot of mine.

Attached Files:

21. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

no. just no. the trucks look great to begin with. no reason to ruin it

22. MilesM

MilesM

Found a better side shot.

Attached Files:

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm stretching my new cab 9-1/4 inches through the doors and using it with a short bed on a long bed frame that I have had set back for 20 years to do just that. With the chopped top and lowered seat there is a lack of leg room in those cabs.

24. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

found this on webshots