Register now to get rid of these ads!

Three speed problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Recon, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Recon

Recon
    from Smyrna Tn

Ok so I've got my 64 f100 and have been driving the snot out of it. One day on my way home, I pulled up in front of the house and was going to back into the driveway. Anyway it wouldn't come out of second. I drove around the block and pulled in. When I figured the linkage froze. I soaked it with wd40 and let it sit. Came out he next day and everything moved. Checked the fluid and it was way low. I filled it and drove it tonight. Well it still is giving me fits going from first to second. What should I do now?

2. F&J

F&J

Explain it better. Is this when sitting still, or only when driving?..or both

3. 50shoe

50shoe

3 on the tree? Try adjusting the linkage. I had a Chevy that jammed like that, linkage was so worn it was more or less trying to go into two gears at once.

4. Recon

Recon
    from Smyrna Tn

It's been moved to the floor.

When I shift from first to second it won't go right in. I have to move the shifter around a lot to get it into the right spot. Downshift from third to second and its fine. Don't notice it as bad when I'm sitting in the drive and running through the shift pattern.

5. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Maybe a Synchronizer issues typically the blocker rings wear out. Did your fluid have a lot of brass in it? But I see you don't have any issues downshifting, correct?

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

1. WD40 isn't a long-term lube. Use something that'll last. Grease, etc.

2. Linkage rods need to be adjusted properly for smooth shifting.

Those 3-speeds are built like tanks. Do the easy stuff first (items 1 and 2) before anything.

7. got your nuteral gate parell so holes are across from each other
    a arm could have slipped, used to weld them
    after that it replace or repair the syncro

8. F&J

F&J

Without being there in person, these two thing together, makes it seem more like a shifter adjustment or massive wear at the shifter or linkages.

When the shifter is in N. Now go under there to see if both shifter arms on the bottom of the shifter itself, are lined up 100% perfect. Some shifters will have a drill-hole to put a drill or pin, through both of those levers, while you adjust the lengths of each round rod.

Also check for slop at each moving shifter part, and look to see it the trans levers are still bolted tight.

I don't think it's a syncro problem, because the 3-2 downshift is more bothered by a bad syncro, than a 2-3 upshift.

Edit: Eugene types faster :) he's on the same thought about shifter issues.

9. Recon

Recon
    from Smyrna Tn

Thanks for all the help. Will check out the linkage and hopefully that will fix it

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

F&J gave some pretty good advice and insight on the whole subject. That sounds exactly like every rig I have had with a worn or out of adjustment shifter.

11. Recon

Recon
    from Smyrna Tn

Here is pic of the linkage in neutral ImageUploadedByTJJ1346018021.966304.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

The problem is that cheap shifter.I had one that would get jammed between first and second all the time. ditch it and get a good hurst shifter.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If it has a cheap floor shifter make sure who ever installed it does not have the rods hitting anything,I bought a 69 f100 that someone had put a floor shifter in and the rods rubbed everything they could so i had to rebend them and make sure the rods are not sloppy in the shifter and the arms on the trans.

14. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

It's a cheap shifter but fixable.
    In your pic that big bolt that goes thru the arms then into the bracket needs to be tightened up. Just enough that you can still move the arms. Drill a hole thru the nut on the other side of the bracket. Drill right thru the nut and the bolt and put a cotter key in the hole. It'll never back off and get loose again. If it does pull the cotter key, remove nut, put a couple washers in, put nut back on and slide in the cotter key.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  15. Recon

Recon
    from Smyrna Tn

Ok I give I've tightened the bolt. Then it wouldn't move like it should. So I backed it off and it wouldn't come out of second. I've adjusted and tried in between with no luck. Anybody got any recommendations for a good shifter?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Deuces

Deuces

One word.... Hurst!
    All others are sloppy seconds....
    That didn't sound right!..:eek: