Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dreddybear's Model A Coupe thread - DARTH WALTER

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dreddybear, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Paul, I'm glad to see you've resurfaced and are continuing with Darth Walter. Can't wait to see where you take us on the rest of this journey. I'm here cheering you on, good luck with the next phase of the build. Z

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

There's been some killer stuff going on.. Some sweet headers being made and stuff like that. Can't wait for this thread to get updated however.

Psst.. You can see some stuff in his Instagram..

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Chrome should be there on Saturday....all of it! However I still have your Towel. :D

Headers look awesome. Can't wait to see those and the engine between the frame rails.

4. 73RR

73RR

...all I know for sure is that your shop is way too clean...:p

Love the pics, keep at it!

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thank you guys!

It was like christmas this morning with all this chrome showing up. Walter has some much needed bling! Big thanks to Jeffrey James for helping me with this. You should check out his website too- www.sugarcityspeedshop.com

[​IMG]

Oh yeah and I've been foolin around with some headers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just have to make some 2 bolt caps for the end and smooth em out and chrome em :)

6. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Dang man you've been busy !

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Right on man, glad it all got there fine and dandy!!! How awesome was that box I had my friend dustin make for the wishbones. It was like a shipping crate!!!!

thanks for the plug and let me know if you want to chrome that frame....just kidding. Not really though. :D:D:D:D:D

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Bling! What are you going to do for the headers? Chrome them or something different?

10. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin good Paul!

11. Wow!
    It's really going to be coming together now.
    Good to see

12. Tommy R

Tommy R

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thank you bro! I'm charged now. Super excited to see this stuff come together!

Aww shit..you know it's gotta be chrome!

Thanks everyone. I'm probably just going to keep this thread going so I'll update as often as I can :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hurry up and finished the pipes and send them to me. You know we gots to give crackhead enough tim to get them done. My chrome exhaust manifolds didn't bubble in the least bit so he knows how to do that correctly.

15. BLAKE

BLAKE

Those headers rule! I hope they whistle!

16. Upholstery looks great, if you have any questions or need any help with it shoot me an email.

17. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Any updates man?? Coming along good and looking great,

Have her ready for LSRU 2013?

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I missed that update, somehow! Looks great, man! MORE!?

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I really don't have anything that interesting to post. The last several months have just been the tedious little things that you do in order to make it look finished and save $$. Plus I broke my phone which had LOTS of the build pics I was saving. These are what I have left plus what's on my new phone...

Firstly I bought almost all the bolts for the car in stainless and polished them. They turned out rad and were not all that expensive. I outlined a nifty little process here:

BOLT POLISHING

They turned out pretty shiny. Pics don't really do justice. Anyway, I was waiting for some paint to arrive, and needed something to do. So after reading a ton of threads on how sucky it is to polish your own intake I decided it sounded awesome. I'd rather not blow 250$ on polishing anyway.

After about 4 hours of little sanding rolls and such:

[​IMG]

After about 3 more hours in a tub of water in front of the TV:

[​IMG]

Yep I sat there with my arms in a bucket of water and watched Japanese Racing cartoons.

[​IMG]

After another couple hours:

[​IMG]

Way way way way way too much time later I decided to take it out to the garage and hit it with a buffing wheel to see what would happen:

[​IMG]

OOOOOHHH keep going! Yeah!

[​IMG]

Add that baby to the closet-o-chrome!

[​IMG]

While in the COC I noticed that I have never dealt with the spindles and the crappy bushings that are all loose and chromed over. So out they come.

This might seem nerve-racking. But I gotta do it. BTW if you chrome your original spindles, Good for you! Just remember to take these suckers out first! I Started by taking a thin chisel to the old bushing where the separation is. Light taps to get under it, heavy hits to dislodge it..

[​IMG]

Old Piece:

[​IMG]

New Piece:

[​IMG]

I started to press it in but couldn't get the damn thing to sit straight so I ended up just whacking it in. Don't get too crazy and it'll be fine. Dont forget to line up the hole for the grease!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They might have to go in past flush to get the hole lined up. That's okay.

[​IMG]

Now to ream these bad boys. NOTE: You need the ford specific reamer or an old one the correct size that's long enough guide itself through the second bushing to do this. You cannot do them separately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you ream they are straight but will be a little rough so then it is okay to use a wheel cylinder hone to clean them up and make it so the king pin is snug but easy to push in and out.

[​IMG]

Snug as a bug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on making little upholsered caps for the kingpins.

Next: The frame color....IT's CHANGING!!!

[​IMG]

The next few weeks will be crazy. This is all going down right now. Gonna assemble the rolling chassis and get the motor in and at that point if it's still feasable I'm gonna try and bring it to the revolution with the body bare and undone. IF I miss that mark then I'll power through on the bodywork til it's all over.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Elrod

Elrod

Good work!! Can't wait to see you at the Revolution. You can do it man.

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Oh yeah here are more pics I found.

I'm running original '49 Ford 16" Shoebox wheels. They're 5 x 4.5 which fits the small pattern of my '57 rear end. So one of them had a dent. It doesn't show well in this pic but it's there:

[​IMG]

The fix for that is a rather complicated and delicate process of whack the shit out of it with one or two nice big hits. Then file or sand down any nicks in the lip.

[​IMG]

On to prime and paint on these suckas. I like to test the gun before shooting... This one was Metal as fuck.

[​IMG]

Now to install these damn tires and tubes. I use the ol dishsoap way:

[​IMG]

Lubed up:

[​IMG]

Tube in, Pushy pushy, knees and arms and grunting. Lots of grunting.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inflate then deflate completely for two reasons: 1. To settle the tube and 2. To tape off the tire and put a third coat of sweet blackness on the wheels in case the mounting scuffed em at all. I clean the shit out of them first.

[​IMG]

Painted:

[​IMG]

While I was sitting on the floor of my garage. This asshole crawled up my pants and started up my shirt. HELL NO!

[​IMG]

Anyway, here's a shot of them with the NOS Calnevar Chromesides I freaked out about when I found:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Sick!

JJ, what's the story on your chrome guy???

23. Elrod

Elrod

The story is he just bought a home in Fiji after he finished this order! :D

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm trying! I really am. I'll see ya there regardless :)

I was totally gonna make it, but then my daily driver Jeep took a dump. Weirdly enough, I was hanging out with Bob at the shop and Luke comes by and he says "You should buy my truck". I didn't know he wanted to sell it. It passed through a bunch of folks within our little group. One time buzzard owned it, then Rocco got it, then Kail got it and really brought it back to life. He re wired the whole thing and installed the AC and dropped it and put on new (stock)wheels and tires. Then Luke got it and he C-notched it. The radiator wasn't up the the task and it blew a head gasket. I decided I could dive in and bring her back so I went for it, but it took a week to get the engine back together and everything dialed and tuned. But now it's a strong ass running bitchin Daily. and it has all this cool old chrome shit from the 70's like the cowl, hood supports, radiator supports, door panels, glovebox, etc... And a GUN rack!! Texas rules. Oh it's a 64 C10

Kail took this pic when he had it:

[​IMG]

He gave me a new front bumper for it and I threw it on and have been driving the shit out of it. :

[​IMG]

Out my office window:

[​IMG]

25. I am ready to see how the body is coming along... everything else looks killer... kudos to you on the intake I did the same thing in the living room and I gave up and had it blasted with walnut shell and am done...

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking great, man.. Can't wait to see this thing at the show!

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those RULE!!!!!

And... :D

[​IMG]

28. injunjoes

injunjoes

very cool build been following it since you started, keep up the good work

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know a guy who know's a guy who met this tweaker who chromes shit cheap. PM me if ya need some.

Nope, just bought some more Meth instead.

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh and those Chromesides are spectacular. Those are gonna be game changers.

Still shooting for Revolution?