Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 35 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 23dragster, Aug 15, 2012.

1. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Just traded a Harley for a 1935 Chevy 5 window. =) She's a project, but she runs and drives and I drove it all the way home from where it sat for 4 years in some guy's garage (after getting dirty fuel line 5 times on the freeway), but she made it. It's all original steel except the front fenders (fiberglass), original frame but has a 77 Camaro front end and rear axle (3.73 gears). The motor only has as many miles on it as I drove home from where it was. In other words, the motor is brand new (minue break-in) from Napa Auto Parts (crate motor) Chevy 350, turbo hydramatic 350 (no shift kit in it, "yet", hehe). It's a basic motor, HEI ignition, stock except an Eddy 600 carb sitting on top and it runs darn well. She rides nice and stops alright with the 4 drum brakes with new hardware from the Camaro. Power brakes, power steering. New Cragar chrome spoke wheels and new cooper tires. The cab has been chopped and dropped about 3" or so and the chop-job wasn't done too badly, surprisingly. All the floor has been replaced and there's hardly any rust. No interior, wiring, or hardware work done yet; so I'll be doing that for the next couple of months but she's registered and running already. =)

It needs some more power, but I have some basic plans for an intake and exhaust swap (still running stock intake and exhaust manifolds).

Anyone have any simple ideas for the interior?

PS. I'm very busy with life at the moment so I might not get back to you all as soon as I'd like but thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Why does the backend , trunk area look so strange ?

3. Congrats on a great project. Nice to see another old Chevy coming back to life. Lots of ways you can go with the interior. I like keeping things simple and inexpensive especially if you have a lot of things going on. Looking forward to see what direction you take. I would like to see a picture from the rear of the car to see what was done to the trunk area.

4. Flop

Flop

whats going on in the back?

5. eberhama

eberhama

Kind of looks like a trunk back 4 door they moved the back of the roof up to make a coupe looking car. Also, a '77 camaro wouldn't have drum brakes on the front, discs were standard from '70 on.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  6. Ghost28

Ghost28

Very nice . I would also like to see more pic's of the rear?

7. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

I don't know why I am saying this but if that was mine the only money I would spend on it is the $2.50 it would cost for a For Sale sign.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't know why you're saying it either. Why take the time to even reply if that's all you can say?

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

+1 Kinda my feeling also. Front clip hangs out like a sore thumb and the back end looks very strange. Smaller front tires would help some. Hanging 60s-70s front clips under pre 40s cars usually does not work well ,too wide and massive. M-II style is much better if you must have later IFS.
    Just my .05.

10. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Interesting car. Chevrolet did not make a 5W in the standard series in 1935 only a 3W business coupe. As for the hump back, the only thing I could find that had anything that looked similar was on the 4dr sedan in the Eagle series from 1933. It would be interesting to hear the story behind this car from the builder...lots of interesting characters up around gold country.

11. Looks like you have what was a 4 door sedan that got made into a 2 door opera coupe. Other than the rear hump being a little off, it's a neat idea.

The chassis, however, looks a little suspect- you might want a good mechanic to look it over and make sure that the modifications and welds are safe.

12. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

The back end has been "bobbed", for a different appearance I suppose.
    Thanks Tfoch. Right on the keep it simple and inexpensive; I'm working, and have two rods going on at the moment and it's tough to find the time with everything sometimes. I'll try to remember to get a picture of the rear tomorrow before bed. I haven't put the trunk on yet though; it's got hinges, just not welded up yet.

I was a bit confused as to why a 1977 Chevy car would have drums on the front also. It's very possible I'm wrong and it's been converted to front drums for whatever reason.

Sorry to hear that goose-em. Can't please everybody with everything I guess, but then again, that's why I own this car and not someone else. =) I enjoy it.

1971BB427, Love your Austin gasser by the way.

Yeah, honestly, I don't like how to wheels stick out of the fenders very much, I might look into getting more inset wheels later on. I agree with the front part sticking out like a"sore thumb" too though; I have plans to chop some of that stuff back so it's not out in the open like it is. The front tires are smaller by an inch, and I'd like the front a lil lower than it sits now, but they're new tires and I can't afford new ones right now so it'll have to do for now.

CharlieLed; No wonder I can't find any 5 windows! I'm honestly not sure who chopped the car at one point. I am pretty sure that it was a full sizer cut down to make a "5 window" now though.

I personally kinda like the hump back, sort of like a rumble seat look, without the rumble seat. All in all, there's plenty of room for a spare tire, tools, and a nice sound system. =)

13. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Also, planning on putting a "blade" or tube front bumper on it; for obvious reasons plus to hide the front clip.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Don't let the ball busters get to you, some people are either just rude or feel they have to say things like that to compensate for their own insecurities. :rolleyes: Something was lacking in their upbringing.

You don't see many 35 Chevys hot rodded, and that one looks like a good start. Keep us posted on your progress.

Don

15. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Thanks Don, I appreciate it.

I put a new fuel pump and fuel line in today since she was stalling (lack of fuel). Also cleaned the carb out and found the primaries are really small; like really small, so it must be a 500cfm or smaller carb. Took some timing out of it too and it runs much better than before overall. Looking to get a new intake and headers by winter and will probably be running 1 or 2 chamber mufflers on it as I want it pretty darn loud.

16. krooser

krooser

I dunno either but it kinda looks like my ex-GF....

17. R Pope

R Pope

Sure ain't a "belly button" car, you won't have another one pull up beside you at every stoplight!
    Here I thought the whole point of hot rodding was to have something unique, and some guys have to slam your car because it's different. I think it looks great, well, except for needing smaller front tires and different wheels sometime in the future. One of those "WTF?" kinda rides. As long as it's safe and well built, drive it and enjoy!

18. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

^ Agreed.

Get the wheels and tires sorted out and I think you got a pretty neat lookin car. :cool:

19. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Its yours, you like it and thats all that really matters, no one else is paying for it.
    You could get a narrower set of wheels to suck the wheels in and maybe a split style bumper just under the fenders to hide the independant front end.

I like it
    Godspeed
    MrC.

20. psycho sean

psycho sean

I'm thinking that was a good trade never seen a 35 like that but I'm into it

21. eberhama

eberhama

I'm guessing its a 67-69 camaro/firebird or 68-74 nova. 2nd gen camaro would be way to wide. 1st gen subs were a pretty popular swap years ago, and the drum brake ones were a little narrower that disc ones.

22. sololobo

sololobo

Neat score, love these Chevy's. I would love to see all of the car, looks like you may have a one off coupe, outstanding! My first car was a 33 Chevy tu-door sedan. Rock on bro. ~sololobo~

23. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  24. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Not sure that is a 35 even. That front end sheetmetal looks long to me, like the 34 Master sheetmetal. And by your picture it does not even look chopped at all. 3" I don't think so.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Definitely looks like a 4dr humpback that was converted to a coupe. The rear 1/4 windows are not from a sedan though, as the sedan used more squared windows. I think the windows and roof back edge is from a coupe, but trunk is from the 4dr humpback.
    The front suspension is a bit bulky, but I'm sure you didn't buy it as a finished car, so you can work that out. At least you can drive it if it's sound, and make changes later as funds and winter comes along.

26. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

How about a good side or 3/4 rear view ,I'm really curious as to what's up there. It just may work all together. And a front bumper of some sort would go a long way to hide the front suspension.

27. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Ha krooser. =P

Yeah, it tracks straight and stops well so I'm good. =) It did throw me for a loop when I saw the clip underneath but hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to get it where I want it. I might trade these wheels/tires for new/different ones, who knows.

Yeah, that's my hope about the bumper, just to cover the clip. Right about the inset wheels too.

Maybe the guy meant 67 Camaro then? hmm...

Thanks Sololobo. =)

The thought did cross my mind about a bed, but I think too much work has been done already for me to cut it and change it; I don't have the man hours available these days. Thanks for the idea Trichop. =)

The body has been chopped around the trim line and has been dropped into itself by about 3-3.5" actually, surprisingly. What exactly is 34 "Master" sheet metal?

So it could be 2 cars combined into one.

I definitely agree on the bumper. I'll get to that soon.

Here's a pic of the back end and a 3/4 view too. I think you can see in the second picture where the top of the body has been "sunk" into the lower body.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  28. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Gee , I must admit this thing is growing on me. Bill it as a rare prototype ,extra capacity trunk !

29. somebody did some creative blending of at least two cars and they did it well enough to come out with a car that looks pretty cool. good luck with the car.

30. 23 dragster as long as you have a smile on your face when you drive it that's all that counts!