Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake adjuster can't be found....HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldsmell, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

Looking to get my 49' Ford F3 back together and after replacing the kingpins, tie rod ends, and ordering new shoes and wheel cylinders.....I'm stuck. First off the front drums seem to be converted to the 1/2 ton setup because the wheel is a 5 bolt (correct me if I'm wrong). The adjusters that where in the drum are rusted solid. I tried heating them red and breaking them loose with no luck.

I cannot find this part anywhere....eBay, local stores internet. Is this just a standard universal part? Can anyone tell me if one from a newer truck will fit? I don't need it self adjusting. Thanks for you help - RJ[​IMG]

2. i'd take that one along to an auto parts store and open a few boxes and see if one is close. maybe if you find one a bit longer you can shorten it

3. have you compared it to a mid 50s f-100 pickup adjuster?

4. Gromit

Gromit

Napa Part 80556 and 80557

should work. Ford used the same front shoes until at least 1966 on the F100. This is the 1966 adjuster.. I imagine it would be right

5. Gromit

Gromit

I think they are different left to right btw... Retails about $16 in Canada...

Attached Files:

6. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

Thanks for the help I'll try those options any report back

7. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Those are pretty "generic" items.... Check one of the "HELP" products racks in the neighborhood parts emporium...... That have all kinds of goodies like that brake adjuster.

4TTRUK

9. RJ

If you cant find one let me know I have an extra one at no charge to you. Give me the lenght of the one you have. And give me your mailing address to.

Frenchy

10. Mark T

Mark T

Ford used that same adjuster on cars and trucks all the way into the 80's, should be real easy to find new or used.

11. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

The NAPA part number worked perfect! Just got back from the store...Thanks you guys!