Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the best whitewall tire?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elvis2, Aug 15, 2012.

1. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

Diamondbacks or BFGoodrich ????????????Cokers are on my kar [50 merc]and they wander a bit in front .everything else is A-OK.Which brand;205x 75rx15 would you purchase? And why ,what do you know that i should know? please share with me your help.or email or pm thanks bob

ps i have heard so many stories on these two tires i am confused abit

2. Either one is fine and has its own pros and cons.

Have you made sure that your front end is up to par?

Tell you a story that is totally unrealted but maybe you will glean something from it. I had a friend in the '70s that had a big block Coronet that needed a tune up bad. e replaced all the plugs except the back two on the drivers side because they are a bitch and according to dodge you had to break the driver's motor mount loose and jack the engine up. Instead of replacing the rear two plugs he roated the tires. It still had a miss when he was done.

3. HAHAHAHA! WTF?:rolleyes::D

4. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

aaaaaah am i missing the point here porkbeaner? Are you being funny or-is there a moral to the story???please explain bob

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

He's saying, in a nice way, that you can't expect good results doing something half assed. Your car seems to wander. You don't need new tires, you need to fix what's making it wander.

6. Gromit

Gromit

Tires CAN cause a little bit of that.. but a 62 year old steering setup is more likely

7. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

A bad tire will make a car wander.and all the parts under the car were rebuilt EVERYTHING!!!!I did find out to day i have a bent rim and a bad coker tire. So that should help the situation.This stuff was all new 10 years ago. So you wouldn't expect the obvious with all new parts ,,,,,,,,,,,so i came here and got a answer that was directed at being a BIG joke to a few. Why is it theres so much of this sorta thing[being obnoxious] on just the hamb.

8. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

I've got these below on my Merc. Haven't yet driven on them, but they are Hankook radials shaved down and vulcanized similar to what Diamondback is doing, so they should roll just fine. Guys on the HAMB somewheres.

http://www.hurstracingtires.com/_WHITEWALLS.html

9. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I've put several sets of the diamondback tires on various cars for my employer. He loves them.

10. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

i have Diamond Backs on my Chev - good tires and good folks over there

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Bias ply's wander compared to radials, some folks just arent used to it or just dont like it.

12. Gator

Gator

I doubt I'll ever deal with Diamondback again - so it'd be BFG's for me - just my 2 cents.

But yeah, like most everyone's stating I'd definitely make sure evrything else suspension and alignment - wise was OK, otherwise you could end up prematurely wearing out your expensive new WWW radials.

13. You did say Cokers are on your car......are they bias ply?

The bias will wander with cracks in the road and other things.
    I ran radials on my Plymouth for a while and it sure made a
    difference in handling. I have BFGoodrich bias ply right now...
    and it still wanders. The quality of the BFGs is good, came from
    Coker. Have not owned Diamondbacks, but see a lot of them
    at shows.

14. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

The cokers i have are radials.although it doesn't say"radials" on them .These were genuine replys..and i thank you guys who chimed in for me. Have a great day

15. wandering is a sign of a worn out front end not bias ply tires if you put radials on it and the front end is still worn out it is still going to wander.

Oh and the story is absolutely true.

16. wawuzit

wawuzit
    from tennessee

Diamondbacks..you'll love them.

[​IMG]

17. gonmad

gonmad

Can you explain your problems with DB?
    Thanks

18. Ive had Diamondbacks on my '51 for about 8 years and 25,000+ miles..........no problems and they are still white.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Because there are always two sides to every coin...if you don't understand that, then let me say that there have been so many threads (did you do a search...???) debating the pros (and cons) of Coker tires and Diamondback tires. In the mix, I've read about Hurst tires, BF Goodrich's, Firestones, et al...that a thread like this one gets old real fast and most people deal with it by cracking jokes...

The longest running threads are about Coker Tires, an Alliance Vendor here, and Diamondbacks...and it's about an even 50%/50% split on who likes what. With that said, take whatever you will from these threads and make up your own mind...no one is forcing you to purchase either...or any...!!!

PS, I have ...oh nevermind...!!!

R-