Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi rods, no wrist pin oil holes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Aug 15, 2012.

1. My hemi rods have no holes to oil the wrist pins, is this correct and would it hurt to add a hole, mine have bushings.

2. Fast Bill

Fast Bill

The machine shop that resized and rebushed my 331 Hemi rods said that oil holes are not needed. I too thought holes would be a good idea. There were no holes from the factory. I trust the machine shop. They do top work.

Bill

3. OK, would it hurt to have them added?

4. Anyone want to weigh in this morning?

5. Do the pistons have oil holes? If it is a press fit in the rod it does not want an oil hole, if it is a bushed free floating pin and is held in by keepers then I would think that it wants to get a little oil from somewhere.

I very seldom make a hole that didn't come from the factory.

6. Fast Bill

Fast Bill

I see no way that adding oil holes could hurt anything. Just not necessary.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Just make sure the rods are balanced correctly after all the machining work is done if you do decide to add those... Every gram counts!!!... ;)

8. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I never added oil holes on bushed rods, yes if no bushings, if you want peace of mind just drill a .060 in the top of the rod and chamfer the hole slightly, make certain you also clean up the inside of the wrist pin hole so there are no burrs left behind in the drilling process
    I've never seen a rod fail on the small end so I doubt it will weaken it at the point of the hole.
    Have fun

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Matched holes...

(but if you are adding holes, yet subtracting weight, it might cancel)

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Not needed, but wont hurt a thing either.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Yes, but what if the balance pads are bigger on some rods??? Your taking out more stock to drill into the wrist pin diameter... I'd still double check all the "small ends" after the machine work is done..

12. If I did it I would balance it afterwards, thanks for all the input.

13. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Much better with the add'l pin-oiling, if you have the option!

The (2) oilers belong on the bottom of the pins in the rods, one on each side of the beam below the "eye", and above the pins on the pistons. These are the highest load areas!

You will find some mfrs put a single hole in the rods above the eye, not as efficient, better below with the 2 holes!

Even most of the "off-shore" (Chinese) rods have both holes below the pin eyes, it's just the best way.

(Add) Those small oiling holes will have NO effect on the balance job integrity!

Thanks, Gary

P.S. If you choose to not use this setup (no pin-oiling) make certain to have between .001" and .0015" clearance between the pins and the rods and a minimum of .001" between the pistons and the pins!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  14. john walker

john walker

i would not put a hole in the beam of any rod. a 4 and 8 or 12 o'clock drilling into the bushing is normal.