Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any AAA tow driver's here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

My Dad suffered a brain hemorrhage and I've had to take over his health care and manage his estate. The car isn't the priority if you look at the big picture.
    As far as "running my mouth" and "screwing myself".... damn what a bunch of pompous self-righteous asses. I'm not registering a car with a VIN I know doesn't match the frame stamp, or bitching about how the city doesn't understand my right to have my property look like a junkyard shithole. I have ONE DAY to get this car home, and this is the only way I can do it. Sorry if me interpreting a benefit so greatly offends the jury here.

2. TexasDart

TexasDart

You're wanting a free tow for a project car....that's not what AAA is about...that's the bottom line. You need to go get the car. Sorry to hear about your Dad I hope he gets better. Good luck.

3. Sorry about your dad! That's horrible and prayers for him.

You just have a bunch of circumstances that are yours. This is your dream, were just in it. This is your baby, you rock it.
    Hire a tow, rent a trailer, call your buddies, that's how people handle stuff. Everyone here as done this at least once the hard way. Yea there's a few who get around it.

4. John Denich

John Denich

Well I am sure it will be REALLY in forced after this thread....I am sure somebody knows someone that read the HAMB that works for AAA.....I bet a Memo goes out tomorrow about the rules for tows to all the dispatchers!

5. Take it easy, Mr.T. Some of us understand that you are just trying to figure out the circumstances and your options to get this done. As far as I'm concerned, we're just having a discussion. You don't have to answer to anyone here. There will always be folks that get personal...something they probably wouldn't do if we were all having a discussion in person.

My sympathies go out to you regarding your Dad's health. It sounds like you have a lot on you right now. All the best to you.

6. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I work from my shop at home and never had any problems with people getting their cars delivered via AAA. Just tell them you need a car towed to your mechanic. That's all they need to know, and no reason for you to say anymore than that.

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Everyone here has also done worse... guaranteed. If you deny it, you're simply a liar. This hobby requires us to be creative, and if it's not a "free" tow, then it's you not mentioning to the insurance company about the dent in the quarter panel that "wasn't there" before your door got hit. Point is, it's easy to be self-righteous with someone else's circumstance, but be careful about casting the first stone......

8. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

?????

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  9. lowroder

lowroder

im a local tow co in ohio...AAA here only tows once for the member either to a shop of choice or home..
    after that its not considered a "roadside Assistance Tow" for them
    I get there members calling me all the time to tow it the 2nd Time...
    I have also Had Members Cancel ther Membership With AAA An Just Use My CO. When NEEDED!!! We Have FLAT RATE in TOWN TOWING & Then Mileage if Long Distance Service .
    Hope This Helps Clear he Confusion with AAA

10. Bunch of self appointed hall monitors up in this thread......

11. No wonder the insurance co keeps raising their rates. Not that long of a drive to Palm Springs & back in a day. Rent the trailer & go get it.

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I guess I should have read more of the thread before posting, i only read the first few post and was under the impression that you had a car broke down 200 miles from home and Your Tow insurance was screwing you around, Now it sounds like you are wanting to make a false Claim, (which is fraud) But hey!...We did not all go to the same schools, So do what you have to Do. I can't for the life of me figure why you would post a thread here about how you are planning to cheat an insurance Company.

13. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Wait, you started a thread wanting to know how to get around/defraud the rules of AAA to get a tow for a car that doesn't qualify for the AAA towing coverage, and are getting pissy when people call you out on it?

People wonder why stuff costs so much, its because of people abusing services like AAA, which passes the cost onto everyone else who uses AAA as its intended.

14. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

Or you're not mentioning to your insurance how much hp your car makes..
    Or that your exhaust might not be DOT legal..
    Or that you might break the speed limit a time or two..
    Or that your brakes are old school drums..
    Or that your car is probably not the safest thing in a crash..

Frankly. It's AAA. Is the tow any different for the tow guy whether it's truely broke down or just needs to go somewhere? Probably not. Would he probably rather tow something cool than a nissan sentra? You paid your $. If you can get them to tow it for you then good for you. Does it change my day and send me in an uproar if you do? Not really. Would I be in an uproar if he didn't? No. But never hurts to try. Can't say with what local towing rates are I wouldn't try it.

Getting a tow off of AAA for a reason other than specified, is hardly the worst thing in the world.

Tell them you need a car towed.
    Be hospitable and cool to the guy who shows up hoping he won't care.
    Slip the guy a tip.

Good luck.

15. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I've had AAA tow cars as transport, never had a problem.

I just call them, give them my membership #, and say that I need a car towed. They ask from where to where, and I tell them. The flatbed guy shows up, transports the car, drops it off.

In each case, the car has been registered and insured, but the tow driver never asked for proof or even checked if the car had a plate on it.

Don't give them too much information, just set up the appt.

Chris

16. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

True it is not the worst thing in the world, But it is Insurance Fraud!!..(Stealing!).....And that is againist the Law!....Which in this case would make him or her a thief!....And I personally have No use for a thief, And anyone here saying they would do the same thing, If they did They would also be a thief!....Justify it however it makes you sleep better at night if you want to, But Stealing is Stealing...Period!!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  17. Listen dude, this hobby requires ingenuity, not dishonesty.
    I said " I would have never thought to get AAA to tow my project" and that's a fact.
    Much the same as I wouldn't think to have AAA to tow my car from the bar because I was too drunk to drive it. Its not for that "PLAIN AND SIMPLE"
    Maybe some guys have gotten it done that doesn't mean you get to get all pissy because you can't. Some folks win the lottery too, does that mean you can forge a ticket and get all pissy when they don't honor it.

Pull out the contract and make them stick to it, but don't bitch-n-moan if what you want isn't in there. Or try to illicit help in trying to defraud them.

Did you know that Verizon also has a roadside assistance plan. So does All state and a few others.

U haul rents trailers cheap. So does any rental tool place. Home depot and Lowes rent trucks cheap too.

18. If anyone thinks that a towing company can make money with AAA, they are wrong.
    They are on call 24 hours a day, get a call, drive up to fifty miles to change a tire for 20 bucks. The only way they can make any money is mileage charges, storage fees, or added service. If they weren't able to make side deals, AAA wouldn't have them available to service their customers.
    Do you think AAA raises their payments to towers when the price of gas goes up. Towing companies are scrambling to exist.

If someone deserves scorn, it is hospitals that gouge insurance companies with ten dollar aspirins.

These are not easy times. Make a friend with your local towing guy.

19. What seems to be missing form the mentality of some of the posters, is when you join AAA you don't "Pay for a stated Number of Tows" You pay for the piece of mind of knowing that if you NEED the Emergency service they will be there for you. So saying that you paid for it, or that it's no different than if they towed a car that was actually broke down is incorrect.

If you were actually paying for let's say 3 100 miles tows per year, your cost would be a Hell of a lot Higher than the $79.00 that I pay for my Premium coverage. You are essentially paying for an insurance type policy, NOT pre paying for three tows regardless of the situation.

Why is that so hard to understand?

20. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

am I the only one with a car trailer?

21. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I've never used AAA to tow a project car home, but neither the dispatchers nor the drivers have ever had a problem dropping my cars off at my house when they break down.

To fetch project cars, I usually just rent a U-Haul car trailer and tow it home myself.

22. Correct, you are paying for up to three 100 mile tows a year, if needed. The money is made on the odds that you won't need those three tows.

23. BlueHeinz

BlueHeinz
    from California

This is "Insurance" at it's finest. When you pay the premium every year with no claims, there are no problems. Even though that premium covers ?? up to three tows in a given year. After paying those premiums, without a claim for 7 years, the "tow service" you need is "not covered"???? If I drive "modern/dependable" cars and don't need to have "tow service", how are they going to make ANY money??? Aren't they better off having me pay the premium for 7 years and only needing one tow service?? THAT SHOULD NOT MAKE THE RATES GO UP.

24. NoPaint

NoPaint

Someone has to say it...REAL MEN DON'T HAVE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PLANS!

25. For the first time i had a issue a $20 tip for the tow truck driver fix it quickly

26. inline 292

inline 292

Tow truck owners I know that pull thru AZ. & CA. are VERY careful about whose ride they are putting on their truck. Because more than a few cases have come up at highway inspection stations that the "broken down" vehicle had a load of drugs in it. I was pulling an empty flatbed trailer once & had 4 or 5 various spare tires on wheels strapped down on it. Had to wait for an hour at a insp. station for them to get a canine there so's they could check the air in my spare tires for drugs.