Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beware,chinese Bearings=broken Spindle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Steve, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Check this out, timed to coincide with the Woodward Dream Cruise, the "Detroit International Classic Car Show". The radio commentator said it is aimed at the Chinese market in particular.... "DICCS - a tailor-made show for classic car owners for exhibition, trading and exporting" You can sell your car to a Chinese enthusiest, and maybe they can pay in bearings.

http://diccs.eventbrite.com/

Steve

2. Dennis D

Dennis D

Try a search for Fag bearings. They use to have a plant in Joplin Mo., but I don't know if it is still in operation or not. Dennis D

3. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Hey HaleyRick, Japan makes some rather good products if you ask me.
    Anything i got from Japan was top notch, sound durable parts with a good finish, good chrome, and generally what you would expect a quality auto/moto part to be.
    A lot more than i can say of most of the made in Italy or made in EU parts i sometimes get.

4. There is some bean counter determining the optimal price to pay vs what the market will bear. Calculating profit.

There is some market annalist determining the lowest level of quality needed or acceptable to the consumer.

There is some buyer putting out for bid the particular item to various manufacturers.

Now.........

There is some Chinese guy bidding on the stuff, he needs to come in at a price that eventually suits the bean counter, at a quality level that makes the market annalist happy, and be the lowest bidder for the buyer.

What the hell do you expect us to get?
    Its damn sure not going to be a high quality, fairly priced, part is it ?

God help you if the First Chinese guy starts the process over again so he can make more money without touching the parts.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. Read this..............
    http://www.electronicsweekly.com/bl...ms/2007/04/bogus-bearings-look-more-real.html

Are bogus bearings showing up in high-precision applications
    such as wind turbines?
    The counterfeiters make no distinction between what
    types of bearings they fake.
    We have seen fake bearings of just about every dimension
    and type, and as one example the police have confiscated
    bearings that are typically used in the propeller shafts of oil
    tankers. Another even more horrific example is the occurrence
    of fake bearings found in tail rotors of Bell Helicopters, as
    informed by the FAA. (https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/
    2007/Jan/UPN_2006-00097__1-18-07.pdf)
    Recently we have also seen fakes of types typically used in
    elevators and construction cranes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  6. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

that pretty well tells the story.

7. Larry T

Larry T

Since this has turned into another them/us--buy USA thread, here's something I heard on the news the other day. According to the local tv station, there a 250 jobs available in Wichita Fall that are not being filled because of the lack of skilled labor. They were talking everything from machinest to medical field. Looks like if folks are wanting to build products in the USA, there are more than a few hurdles to overcome.

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

The problem is quality control. The Chinese stuff will start out in spec, then start drifting out of spec and nobody cares until we get reports like this. They fix the problem for a while and then it starts all over again. The metallurgy and mfg process both drift out of spec over time. Scary shit when you're driving 80+ mph in a corner.​

A couple years ago I noticed a rash of vacuum cap/plugs that would disintegrate and fall off on their own within a year. Sure enough, the Chinese made rubber caps were having the problem. I had to scrounge really old OEM caps until I found a source for silicone caps.​

Scary shit with no solution...​

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

That's cause this off shore crap started in the 80's and now all the people who know how do do the work are old and retired. Nobody got trained cause there were no jobs that needed the skills until now. The good news is some MFG's are realizing they can compete with Chinese MFG's and make a profit. Time will tell if making a profit means shitty products...

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Why do you think the German bearing factories were the main targets for B17 bomb sorties in WWll?
    Recall the Nazi war machine literally grinding to a halt...

America's careening on 3 wheels now.

11. 38rat

38rat

mine are at just about 2500 and had been serviced recently.

12. chevy3755

chevy3755

i agree with atwater mike.................

13. river1

river1

Haven't done business with them but they claim to sell made in the USA bearings

http://mibearings.com/

Anyone done business with them?

later jim

14. Looks like you would need a cross reference part number for the bearings we use because their chart only goes back to 1985.

15. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

I'm all for this post to inform people , i started one about offshore spindles and its gone.I too reuse original ford bearings and mating races with great success.

16. red roadster

red roadster

Don't people realise cheap bearings are expensive!!!
    coz you have to replace them... so what have you saved??
    You certainly haven't saved time, money or jobs.

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:mad:All I have to say about this thread is"AMEN BROTHER".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

18. mink

mink
    from CT

Seems to me that your outer bearing seized and the wheel hub became locked onto the spindle. Due to torsional stress the material yielded, and fractured. Did you pack your bearings properly?

19. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

Was this a Speedway kit? I was just getting ready to order one of the disc brake kits from them for the 37-48 spindles for my Model A project. Why is it these days you have to substitute replacement parts in kits like Speedaway sells just to avoid catastrophic bullshit like this from happening. I had the intention of building a car for my daughetr to drive but shit I have to proof every little part to make sure it's not going to dissolve at speed and kill somebody. What's the world coming to. This is bullshit. Cheap ass chinese shit has got me feeling really low lately. I am glad I didn't buy one of those chinese front axles that people are having snap on them. How did it ever come to this?

20. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

As said earlier lithium based grease and moly based grease are not compatable with each other one washes the other out. i always use lithium base mystic jt6 for everything because its easy to find about any store has it works for assembling auto tranny lip seals dissolves in tranny fluid with no ill effects.most of the time ball joints idlers and tierods are lubed at the factory with moly so watch it and dont mix lithium based.