Register now to get rid of these ads!

dupont centari never openedANY GOOD?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Ive got a gallon of d.c that was never opened (metallic forest green).I opened it up to look at color and sprayed a test panel.Would you trust it?Ill need to get the right temp hardener if still avaiable.Thanks

2. If you were able to spray a test panel with it and it dried/cured properly,
    have at it!

3. Deuces

Deuces

How about a pic of the "test" panel???... :)

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

I prefer PPG enamel that was never opened, but if you can only find Dupont...I guess it will have to do.

Mix it well, if it will spray and dry right then I'd say use it. But just in case, I'd shoot a small teat part first.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

How old is it ? If it is over a couple of years old the question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to run the risk of it turning out bad and then having to strip it all off and start over.

I've got a few unopened cans of Centari that have been sitting in our shop for a few years, and I am not going to risk that extra work, so they will get tossed next time our community has their program to get rid of stuff like paint, pesticides, etc.

Don

6. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

What is the expireation date on the can? There isn't any ? Spray away , if it didn't skin over in the can its fine.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Spraying small teat parts? Post pics. This I gotta see!

8. We will definitely need pics of the teat parts!!!

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

"I'd shoot a small teat part first."

If you're using that green, I see the makings of a great Star Trek fantasy come to life. Green Orion girls rock.<!-- / message -->

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Go ahead and use it. I have been using leftover paint (shop mix) since the sixties and never had a problem. If it looks like paint, can be stirred up and has not hardened or curdled it is ok. If there is a skin on top peel it off and throw it away.

I'm not saying I would paint a customer's Rolls with the stuff but I would do a cheap paint job or paint my own car, pickup truck , trailer, machinery etc. You have to use your common sense here.

11. Don, if I lived closer to you, I'd gladly take every can of old Centari you've got.

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

Whoops, Was that a Fruedian slip or what...?

13. TERPU

TERPU

Centari is one of the easiest and best paints ever made. Buy some catalyst for it and it'll be even better. I love Centari.

Tim

14. I used to like the little man logo on the cans
    The "wait" lifter.
    spray, clean out gun, unmask, repeat

15. Master of None

Master of None

If you know for a fact that it has never froze, or been opened, I'd do something small first. Just make sure you get new hardener, and reducer. Again shoot somethings small with it, so you don't have to strip the whole car.

16. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

The worst thing about centari was the oder of certain colors... and I remember a dark green being really bad. Painted a van one evening , ran the exhaust fan for several hours afterward while having a few stagger pops. The next morning we had to throw open all the doors , got that pos unmasked enough to drive and outside it went,it stunk for a week.......

17. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

if I was closer, I'd take em off your hands and gamble!

18. painted my off topic plow truck with centari that was stored in an outside shed for 20+ years. used new reducer and a generic hardener and it came out fine , it did fade a little in the past six years but acrylic enamel will do that.

19. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I've used it before on equipment, etc. when it was at least 20 years old. I've even skimmed off the skin and still used it after it had skinned over.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Centari was the first paint to be really poisonous. Before that paint fumes were unhealthy but for some people, one good whiff of Centari would put them in the hospital. So, be sure you have the proper protection and no mistake. It seems to me we used charcoal filter masks at first, later they came out with remote breathing apparatus. Don't take chances, the stuff is nasty.

21. Hypothetical question, if it screwed up, would you be mad at having to remove and repaint.
    I would.

22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hell, Mike, I touched up a 67 Camaro that I painted in Centari, over 20 years ago...WITH leftovers from the original paint job! If if it's not thickened too bad in the can, it's probably fine...just use fresh hardener with it! (though green metallic is a tough one to shoot and get even...you might want to put a coat of clear over it, after doing the last coat kind of dry).

23. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

Need some hardner and reducer for the Dupont Centari that I have left to finish a project. Any help appreciated. Yhanks, Marvin,ct

24. slammed

slammed

No exposed skin to paint sprayed w/ hardeners. Period.

25. dupont centari? you can use a universal acrylic enamel hardener with centari. try Levines.
    sorry was thinking you were in NEW preston. i don't think Levines is near you but there must be a paint supplier.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Always loved the smell of Centari. If I could get my wife to wear it I would.

I have a bunch of old Centari, never had a problem using it. My plan is to mix it all together and paint my heap with it. So it will be brown.

27. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

Thanks, I'll try to find a universal hardener. Mine is three years old, same as the reducer. Marvin,ct

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

A trick the the old days was to use lacquer thinner to reduce the Centari, so it would dry quickly. I did it several times, using hardener (I ALWAYS use hardner, just in case!) , as well, and it worked for me. Just had to change up my spray technique and put it on a little bit wetter.

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I painted an OT Jeep with 20+ year old Delstar a few years back. I have paints in my cabinet that date back to the mid 80s. They're still good but they spend considerable time on the shaker before use. If it's sealed it won't go bad...ever. Catalysts and reactive reducers are another story, but the real heartache is that I have some 1st generation Deltron that I can't use. DAU 82 was the best clear ever and even the DAU single stage colors were a short period of heaven for painters. I miss it so...