Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercury 49-51 Rear Suspension and back seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MetalShaper, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

Im currently doing an air ride suspension on a 49 merc and am curious as to what others did for rear suspension to keep the backseat.Ive looked and havent found a good thread on this topic specifically.

2. luv2crz

luv2crz
    from calgary ab

i am just finishing up one now.
    i built a parallel 4 link, with a panhard par, using double convaluted bag over the axle. i did have to modify the floor but mostly in the trunk over top of the diff, and at the very front of the trunk. a few small modifications were done under the seat but it didn't affect getting the seat back in. two small tunnels over the link bars and a small tunnel over the center section of the diff.

if you are willing to modify the floor in the trunk you do have an option of a 6 link set up ( bag on the rear bars ) it is a really good quality ride but you wouldn't have to make as big of a hump in the trunk because you won;t have to build the bridge for the upper bag mounts.

ill post a few pics this evening for you

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

A parallel 4 or a triangulated 2 link work well and you can fit a back seat quite nice.

4. hot rust

hot rust

i haven't finished mine yet but i used the mid 60's chevy truck trailing arms and a front x member i built and a upper x member to mount the bags to. i built it also.

5. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

HOTRUST: Any pics...im in the process of building the same setup.Curious as to your atatchments for the front of the trailing arms.Did you go with the original truck bushings or something else? I will post as i have progress as well.

6. No Plan

No Plan

this is what we're doing in my son's 54 Ford. The x-member is installed, but the 2nd pic is of just the mock up. The x-member won't be quite that deep. This will be notched & lay out w/28" tall rear tires.

Attached Files:

7. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well I guess my 2" lowering blocks on my stock suspension just dont cut it these days LOL....Jim

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I have a bunch of pictures of 49-51 Mercury frames. Most are modified for bags, 4 links, or low drops, which I saved from various Hamb threads. If I get time tomorrow, I'll post some. Hopefully before then, people that have modified their frames will post their own pics.

9. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

thanks any pics of the rear sear sheetmetal area would be great too.

10. cain

cain
    from riverside

www.jimenezbroscustoms.com

We have kits for trucks and cars. Chevy , Mercs, Shoeboxes

Attached Files:

11. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

Kit looks nice Cain..but i have been convinced the arms need to be built in an i beam style.

12. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

some updates on the suspension for the merc im working on.

Attached Files:

13. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Just to clarify after a few phone calls and emails. MetalShaper is the one making this suspension, not me, metalfaber.

Just wanted to clarify
    Brian :)