Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]

Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower looks glad to be back in the good ol' USA:D, June 18, 1945, about
    five weeks after VE Day and the end of the war in Europe.;) His friend and fellow general, George
    C. Marshall, joins him in a staff car at a Washington, D.C. AAF airfield at the beginning of a long
    day of parades and victory celebrations in Washington. (A likewise busy day was to follow on the
    19th in New York City.)

My mom remembered the excitement of seeing Ike, in the flesh, waving and riding in back of "a
    jeep" in a parade through the streets of Washington that afternoon. Government offices shut down,
    so everybody could go witness the festivities.:) (Photo, taken by photographer Abbie Rowe, is
    from the National Archives and Records Administration, Office of Presidential Libraries, Harry
    Truman Library. Though actually employed by the Washington Parks Service, Rowe effectively
    served as personal photographer to presidential administrations from FDR through LBJ.)

[​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT]

Triumphant and jubilant, Ike stands to salute flag wavers, then to press the flesh
    with the press corps!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT]

3. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

[​IMG]

Bethel Vermont, 1958

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BTW, any of you Washingtonians and architecture buffs recognize any [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]of the buildings [/FONT]in the background?:confused: What street would this have been?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG]
    [/FONT]

5. tbird37821

tbird37821

[​IMG]
    down town Newport Tennessee 1940

[​IMG]

train depot Newport 1939, (still there)

[​IMG]

local hardware store, Newport (still in business)

6. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

That is Pennsylvania Avenue taken from 14th Street looking west.

Buildings on the right are the Willard Hotel, The Willard Office Building, the W Hotel and the US Treasury at the end of the street.

The White House is blocked in the photo by the Treasury Building

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Big THANKS there TuckerFan!:) I thought that was the Treasury back there, but I couldn't see enough detail to tell it from the Supreme Court building.:eek:

SO, the building with the flags in front is the Willard Hotel (a fave of presidents); next the TALL one is the Willard Office Building; then I guess "W Hotel" is Watergate Hotel?:confused: It appeared part of your comment got cut off on the main page, but it pops up here (the reference to the White House).

Okay! You caught that while I was writing. Way to go!

8. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

No, the W Hotel is the W Hotel. The Watergate Complex is located on Virginia Avenue right near the river.

The W was originally the Hotel Washington. It was bought by the W Hotel group around 2000. I'm sure it was a favorite with George W Bush.

It has an interesting history. Built in 1917, this was where Elvis secretly met with President Nixon and asked to be a federal agent. Presidents Clinton and Reagan attended balls there. "The Godfather Part II" was shot on the storied rooftop.

9. Invicta

Invicta

here are a couple of my Great Grandpa's Car Club, Motorcycle Club and his wife and sister on motorcycles....<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/thebastardson/?action=view&amp;current=ggcc.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/thebastardson/?action=view&amp;current=ggmc.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

Nice material. It is interesting to note how clueless The Discovery Channel is about car design by calling these "shark cars" and "shark fins". The Earl designs as mentioned in the very article they posted notes his love of aircraft and rocket design which were the reference cues for his designs, not sharks.
    I guess whatever it takes to attract an audience these days is OK whether it is true or not.

11. opfredet

opfredet
    from usa

12. Vintageride

Vintageride

It looks like the vehicle of choice for the day is the WC-56 and WC-57. Not much beats the tough look of that type of Command Car.

Real iron!

There must be a proper military historian here that can add a bit more about them.

Vintageride

13. Check out those 'seat covers' too. I bet they are OD. They look like the blankets we had in boot camp, had to fold 'em in a Cadet E for inspection...

14. HEMIDAV

HEMIDAV
    from FL.

My wifes aunt in front of the old homestead in Easthampton, MA.

Attached Files:

15. HEMIDAV

HEMIDAV
    from FL.

A family camping trip.....

Attached Files:

16. racemad55

racemad55

Lake Champlain ferry ?

17. Vintageride

Vintageride

Looks right.

Port Kent to B-ton? Just out of Port Kent. Looking south-southwest.

Vintageride

18. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

19. They are army blankets. The Dodge WC56 and 57 Command Cars had mid brown leatherette seat covers whereas the 51's 52's 53's 54's & 55's had mostly OD canvas covered seats. (The leatherette was probably easier to keep cleand and sheds water so the 'brass didn't get their uniforms dirty!!) You can just see the cover under the blanket on the right of Gen. Marshall. Most likely to be a WC56 as few winch model trucks were issued to the AAF. I had a 1944 WC51 for years. They are fantastic trucks, hard as nails, will go anywhere and much more comfortable than a bouncy wartime Jeep :)

20. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

21. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

Yes

22. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

[​IMG]Item 9186 zoom[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Description

A gas permit of six gallons issued by C.R. Fogg on 7-30-45 to Earl M. Wood of Oxford County, Norway, Maine. It was void 9-30-45 to the 1932 Buick. Ration permits used during WWII allowed gas sales to be controlled.

23. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

24. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

25. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

[​IMG]Item 22073 zoom[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Description

Northeast Harbor's first ambulance, parked in front of the Fire Station and Municipal Offices. The Packard was purchased in 1937 and cost $4000

26. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

27. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

28. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Awesome. I love all the ones with the kids hangin' off the sides when the rods are rollin' down the road.

29. swi66

swi66

30. swi66

swi66

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.