Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 302 ford water pump rotation??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Aug 14, 2012.

1. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Good morning!! I have a 302 ford motor that I installed in my 1953 ford f100 pickup. I rebuild the motor and had problems at first with the water pump . When I rebuilt the motor the timing cover was bad I got one from a friend and installed it with a new water pump (Note Need the style that takes a mechanical fuel pump) after installing I had problems with The serpentine belt set up plus the motor ran hot no circulation of water. Found out I had a v belt style water pump not a Serpentine belt style pump.( rotation differences) Now The problem, I got a new timing cover from Jegs new water pump 1980' serpentine style. The truck runs hot !! with in 5 minutes the heat gage is max. The crank pulley is running clockwise and the belt is turning the water pump counter clockwise. Could I still have the wrong water pump still? Have I got the wrong rotation? can I get a smaller belt and turn the pump different direction by threading the belt on the opposite side of water pump? I took the thermostat out last night and put it in boiling water and it opened, The radiator is a 1950s style that was sent out for recondition. I'm running a electric fan that is pulling air threw the radiator and I have bypassed the switch so the fan stays on. I really need to straighten out this mess!! ANY INFO WILL HELP. Also willing to pay some one to come to the house to straighten out this mess! I have passes to a car show first week in September and would love to take my truck. (note I have had the truck over 10 years and not really taken it anywhere:( The motor I started with was a y block it has been removed and replaced by the 302 Thanks Joe

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. johnboy13

johnboy13

3. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Are you sure that it is a reverse flow pump ??? And make sure that your belt is running in the right direction , its very easy to get the belt on the wrong way and the pump runs backwards and then you will over heat . Good luck

4. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Ok I checked my slips the water pump came from advance auto. The Part is #1251670 listed for a 87 ford 302

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

First, figure out which way YOUR belt system turns the WP.
    Grooves on the pulley means it spins the same direction as the crank (Clockwise from the front).
    Smooth means opposite.
    Next, go to the parts store and look at the WPs mentioned (1980, 1987) note the impellers and the pulleys.
    That should give you all the info you need.
    I bet you will have to pull off the current WP to at least check it, so it might be smart to do that before going to the parts store.

6. Do you have a picture of your belt routing?

An 87 should be reverse rotation and have a smooth pulley.

7. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Went over to advance on lunch, part number #1251670 87 ford 302 took the back plate off of it and with the heater and bypass connections facing up it looks like the pump must turn clock ways to move water. The pulley on my water pump is flat. the set up I have now the belt comes off the right side of the crank pulley witch turns clock ways to the left side of water over the top to the bottom side of power steering across front of motor to top side of alternator gos around and back to left side of crank the belt tensioner presses down on the belt going crossed the top pushing it down toward the water pump. Question?? can I put it all back together take a long hose and hook it to the heater line port ( witch is plugged off right now) open the radiator cap direct the flow back to the tank would I get a good flow of water?? (pushing water not pulling)

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

:confused:?????
    Yours spins CCW but you say it looks like it needs to spin CW?

The pump is fed by the lower radiator hose. The water enters the pump there, is spun/pumped into the engine.

To check this, remove the thermostat and disconnect the upper radiator hose. Direct the stream away from the car.

Fill the system and start the car with a water hose feeding the radiator.
    Water should come out the upper hose.

9. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

centrifugal fans and pumps always pump from center outwards.
    The blades can be shaped or oriented to improve efficiency and output.
    The scroll/volute is usually shaped for best operation in one rotational direction.
    This fairly typical looking pump shows how inner edge of blade should point in direction of rotation, and how the scroll should "inwind" in the direction of rotation.
    http://images2.carpartsdiscount.com...tang_2000_water_pump_oem_125_1940_1251940.jpg

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

This is designated as a CW impeller.
    It appears to 'sweep' the coolant outward, not 'scoop' it out.

[​IMG]

Here is a thread on another forum
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/48-ford-small-block-engine/268876-water-pump-issues.html
    As you can see, the scoop/sweep thing is confusing, but the consensus is that the top one is CW and the third pic is CCW. Note that these are looking at them from behind, so in both cases, the direction is OPPOSITE the direction pictured.