Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM OD conversion help. Anyone got a Hollander book handy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Aug 13, 2012.

1. I picked up a complete OD trans for my 60 Belair. I was lucky and got the harness, underdash handle and selenoind too. However, it came from a V8 car and their are a few 6 clyinder specific parts that I still need. I was able to get the part numbers from my 1960 GM assemly manual.
    I am wondering if anyone has a Hollander book and can cross reference the part numbers so I can (hopefully) broaden my list of available donor cars

Rod assy. 3755675
    Bracket. 3709346

Thank You,
    Todd

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have the group numbers for the parts? What rod assy - the shifter rods? And which 'bracket' are you refering to? I'll be glad to help, but I need a little more info, please.
    -Bob

3. Bob,

Sorry about that.
    The rod is the one that runs from the "bellcrank" on the side of the motor up to the carb.
    The bracket is the kickdown solenoid mounting bracket that mounts on the carb.
    Both these parts are unique to the 6cyl with OD.
    Thanks, Todd

4. jrlemke

jrlemke

Those parts would not be listed in a Hollander book. Your parts book is the closest you're gonna come to an interchange.

5. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

My uncle had is od in his 57 chevy truck hooked up to a off/on switch. Not sure if that will help you. Dad ordered his 66 chevelle with od but its a V8. Didn't some 55 and up chevys come out with od's?

6. squirrel

squirrel

rod is group 3.430, fits 59 also.

I don't even know what section to look for the bracket in

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I've always relocated the KD switch so I can kick back into direct without flooring the pedal.

8. Yea, I thought of that too. I was thinking a spring loaded toggle under the dash would probably do the same thing. It's just a monentary switch I believe.
    Todd

9. squirrel

squirrel

The kickdown switch is a double pole switch, it's a little more complicated than you might think. There are lots of ways to wire the overdrive and make it work....the factory method makes it nice to drive, even though it's a bit more complicated.

10. Thanks Jim,

I have the complete original harness thats why I am looking for the rod and bracket. Hopefully I will be able to find one. Todd

11. squirrel

squirrel

If you can find a picture of the setup, you might be able to make the parts. maybe start a new thread asking specifically for pictures of stock 59-62 Chevy six cylinder overdrive stuff.

Oh....I found the bracket for the switch. It's called

4.495 BRACKET, kickdown switch, (3 7/8" O. L.)

it cost $0.15 in 1959, and fits 55-59 passenger and truck models, so it should be pretty easy to find.

That's in the 59 parts book, it might also fit newer models up to 62. My later printing of the 64 parts book shows what looks like the same part with number 3882379 as fitting all 55-62 six passenger cars. This book does not list the rod, unfortunately, I think it was discontinued.