Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pickup Truck guys - Spare Tire...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Mar 15, 2011.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

what are you guys doing with you spare tires? Any slick ideas out there? So far I've just tossed one in the back - always seems to be in the way...

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Well, on my '50 Burb, which is on a truck frame of course, I use a Nissan pickup chain drive undercar mount. Before it gets bolted in place, i use some Craftsman u-joints and extensions welded to it to allow me to raise/lower the spare with a 3/8 speedwrench.

3. spare in a spray can

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

trying to lose it in time for summer but I can't let go of the beer.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of those skinny little space saver things that will get me to the next tire shop and that's about all. This one is off my dad's 84 Olds Delta 88 so it isn't that short but reallly looks funny when I have to run it. Gas tank is where the spare should go.

I'm guilty of driving lots of miles with just a can of fix a flat though or packing the little air compressor that plugs into the lighter.

6. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

My 'Binder already has a place for it which I'll probably keep.

[​IMG]

7. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

My 57 has a hidden compartment under the flat bed for a spare tire pretty awesome!

8. I have AAA so I don't carry a spare. HRP

9. forty1

forty1

On my 41, I used a Toyota pickup( 1989-2010 ), ' spare drop down unit '.

Since the truck has a roll pan & no rear bumper, I utilized a 70 Chevy station wagon spring loaded license plate to hide the hole for the spare tire crank tool.
    Works really great, the crank tool resides in the bed toolbox !

-41-

Attached Files:

10. codeblu

codeblu

My 55 F100 will be running dual side mounts.

11. Ima just carry tubes I think.

12. uc4me

uc4me

in the back under the tonneau

13. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Going with the hoist from a late model truck for my 59 F100

14. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Ford Astro minivan crank down tire carrier in the stock location. Run a full height spare.

15. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Me too....No spare for me...Credit card and AAA

16. I got an "old-fashioned" tire plug kit, T-handle and gummy rope stuff and a 12v mini air compressor with a long enough hose/cord. It all fits in the glove box.

17. hobbs53

hobbs53
    from leo, In.

hey hotrod 59....can you tell me about your spare tire mount system...i'm at an impass
    thanks!

18. greenone

greenone

I used a late model hoist on my '55 F100..no pics of course:rolleyes:. I went to the pick and pull and took the tire hoist from what I assume was a late 80's S-10. I just built a bracket between the bed floor supports and bolted it up. I then welded a 3/8 drive universal joint to the drive of the hoist, plugged in an 18" extension and passed it through a hole in the frame on the passenger side. I used a 1/2" lock collar on the extension on the inside of the frame to keep it from going anywhere. When I need to get the tire down, I just use a 3/8 rachet with a 12" extension and another u-joint to connect it all...works great and you can't see it unless you're way behind the truck.

19. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

I have zero deductible tow reimbursement with my insurance. Eventually tho I'll side mount a spare on the bed.

20. Of the few flats Ive had ,the tire was either unbeaded or ripped to pieces before I got it stoped. My can of fix a flat wasnt much good then.