Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling all Arizona people.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Riva B., Aug 12, 2012.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

I believe it's required where I live to have at least one non running car in your front yard.:D

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Just depends on WHERE, downtown. Gregg's place has been broken into at least 4 times and he's in a historical section. There are plenty of non HOA neighborhoods out of central Phoenix, in the suburbs, but the farther out you go the newer they get, naturally. I think HOAs started becoming standard with any development after the mid to late '80's. I've always lived in the NW outer part of PHX and prefer it, always moving farther north and west, but no more....next move is near the beach.

HOAs...yet another idea with "good intent" that absolutely sucks schittt!!

3. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I just bought a house at a trustee sale on the court house steps. Close to the 51 and 101 so its easy to pop into town, its on almost a half acre, no HOA for 75k. I totally gutted it and now I live with no mortgage. Lifes good.

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

New River its Hill Billy heaven

5. Garbz

Garbz

In Glendale just stay north of Peoria ave. I have lived here in north Glendale for four years and as long as everything is behind the fence and RV gate you are ok.

Garbz

6. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

I got cited by the city of Phoenix because of all the cars in my back yard. They were behind a 6"" high brick wall. Could not see them unless you climbed on something & looked over the wall or if you went on Google earth. I moved everything to a friends property in Maricopa. Now an selling off the remaining 2 cars. I would suggest some place out in the county. less zoning BS to put up with.

PS,,,I am in the Maryvale area off of 59th ave & McDowell & still got busted with everything in the back yard.

7. moracing

moracing
    from arizona

im in buckeye just outside of goodyear .. been here for 5 years love it im always working on my toys .. how ever i moved from peoria i miss being around the corner from the car shows swap meets and so on i love to drive my hot rods but sometimes it would be nice to have a 10 drive insted of a 1 hr drive to down town

8. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

NWBHOTROD is right, New River is Hillbilly heaven. I am currently looking for 4 or 5 acres. Its in the county and not the city rules. Plus its high desert and really good looking land. I had a friend from the west side, sun in your face going to work and sun in your face going home from work. And the 10 gets bad. If you watch the news 90% of the violence is on the avenues on the west side. There are good areas but you need to know before you buy. I am sure the west siders have their own views.

9. Most of the crime is south west. Like said earlier north of peoria is ok, even though i thought it was more north but i guess for me that was just cushion room for myself. I am 1/2 mile north of peoria and its not bad.

10. RayMiller

RayMiller

That's why you say screw phoenix move to Tucson we need more car folks here!

11. It depends on how much you have, how much you plan to enlarge and how much freedom you want to do stuff. For me, I outgrew lliving in the city/suburbs years ago and my hobby has really expanded. I just love old cars and happy to be surrounded with them with no hassles. I can make all the noise I want, shoot my firearms, fire up my race car, let pups run free, etc. It is great living in the county. Just something to think about if you like elbow room.
    Now have a place outside the Phoenix area and in the White Mountains. Now, to get that shop built and to find the $$$ to do it.......

12. 51 year old charged with 2nd degree murder in ahwatukee tonight. House is backed up to a golf course. Crime can happen anywhere.

13. broey

broey

if you have kids glendale has really good school districts. I live in central phoenix and love it here, but I dont want my kid going to school anywhere around here. so we might be moving to glendale.

14. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

There is always Tempe. Not sure what you mean by your "all around way of doing things" but as long as it doesn't involve an active meth lab i'm sure you would be fine. No HOA but there is a neighborhood watch. the pres has a model A sedan, and the guy that organizes the BBQs has a model A roadster running a hopped up flattie. The renters next door rebuilt a 70s chevy truck in their driveway and the guy across the street is always working on his 944 track car. If you plan to work on a car expect people with beers coming by to BS and distract you from your task.

15. ottos

ottos

I have a home in Lake Havasu City ...best car town ever you can drive anything on the street with no inspection...

I have seen a blown acohol car driving down the road just as example...

16. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I am with Applekrate, if you live around phx its a really good idea to have a second home in the mountains. I have 2.5 acres in a county island surrounded by national forest just outside of Flagstaff. Less than 2 hours door to door and its 25 degrees cooler, makes summers bearable. I have a friend with a bar in Hidden Valley outside of Maricopa and visit there often, losts of car guys around there. If you want freedom you need to be in the county and not in city limits, that is if you do not have to commute to work or like driving long distances.

17. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

MechanicKeith, what law does the city have for storing cars in the back yard on your own property? How many can you have? That sounds very unamerican or HOA like. I am in NE phx and just put two 40 foot shipping containers in my back yard, I am down to 6 vehicles a couple of motorcycles and two trailers since I took most of them to Flagstaff when I moved into this house. But you cant tell I own anything from the road. In 7 years when my daughter graduates I am heading to New River to join my redneck friends.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is a law on the books within city limits you can't have any "disabled" vehicles parked in your back yard, especially not on bare ground. It isn't enforced unless someone turns you in or you have an official of some sort with a hard-on against you. I went through this about 10 years ago with a fairly well connected enviromentalist type that lived in the high rise condo at the end of my street that told me once I was the most evil polluter in the world. After tons of court dates and screwing around, we had a "talk" one evening in front of my home... He doesn't live anywhere near here now!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  19. I may as well ad this. If you really like the Phoenix area and want a place where you can do basically whatever you want, my prop in Maricopa is for sale. It's about 4 acres in Pinal county. 8 miles to the city, 40 min to Sky Harbor airport.
    Zoned heavy industrial with permits for unlimited car storagem restoration, etc. Most of it is fenced, has 200 amp power, private but, not too remote.
    The permits/zoning is fully transferable, you can built a house, a shop here, whatever.

[​IMG]

Beautiful mountain views, easy access to Tucson, San Diego, LA.
    I have been working on moving all my cars onto my new prop.

Also, safe outside storage is available here too is needed.

I'll carry a note too, if needed.

If you do not want to be hassled ever again about your car hobby-
    If you have ever said 'I'd buy it, IF I just had the room"
    If you can understand the long term appreciation of this area in value.
    Think about the freedom to do what you want and at any hour.
    Cheap taxes too.
    No emmissions
    no dog licenses or leashes
    firearm friendly

Sorry for the sale pitch on your thread but, it may be very appropriate for those reading this.

The main reason it is for sale is because i am moving to the White Mountain area and have a 2nd place with the same freedoms. Otherwise, I would never sell it.

20. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Applekrate, where around Maricopa are you located? You might know my friend Rand out in hidden valley. He is a big car guy. I have pulled a couple of nice cars out of your area.

21. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I live in the old part of Scottsdale, near Hayden and Thomas roads. Things are pretty quiet as a general rule. I have had one or two cars in my back yard most of the time for the past twelve years or so without any hassles from the city. In twelve years of living here, my car has been egged twice, and somebody went through both of my unlocked cars one night, they didn't bother any locked cars. I haven't seen my front door key in years, but I do have a German Shephard to keep an eye on things...

22. am west of town off of hwy 238. Did meet Rand one time at a Home Depot in Chandler. He saw my Pontiac Heaven shirt and we spoke for a few minutes. This was, perhaps, half dozen years back. I do not get south of me ( that area ) very often.

I have hosted a few car shows at the Baptist church on Hwy 347 in town.

23. MilesM

MilesM

Ha Ha

24. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

Not to hijack your thread, but I looked a little last year in the Tonopah area. The term, "shared well" was used often as in multiple homes drew water from a single well. How's that work? Are wells so exepensive to drill they drill one big enough to supply several homes?

Again, sorry for the hijack, best of luck on your move.

25. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

I have seen shared wells support only 2-3 houses & also seen them support 20+ houses. A lot of the smaller communities have this system. Usually there is a small local water company that puts them in & maintains the systems & then charge fees to everyone on the system.

26. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

Thanks

27. ANY ass neighbor that knows the phone number to the city code compliance can jack your world up, so don't just go by "areas". If there are car guys in the neighborhood, so look around, they can tell you how aggressive code compliance is.

28. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

So am I to take it your not allowed to have any non registered cars in your back yard? How can that be? They have to be non running while I am fixing it up to drive it! I did take most of my non runners to Flagstaff for the time being. This is exactly why I cant wait to move to the "county". Less rules. I have personally never had anyone complain. The city did show up after I put two 40 foot shipping containers in my back yard. Glad I got a permit first. Hope they dont notice when I put a roof over them..... My back yard is surrounded by 15 foot oleanders so its pretty private.

29. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

City code for Phoenix will allow you 1 inoperable vehicle in the back yard as long as it cant be seen from outside the bounds of the property. It must be on a dust free surface. (cement,pavement, crushed gravel)

30. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

I have 1.5 acres in Pinal county south of queen creek. Nice area to live. I have a custom home and separate shop building .Nobody bothers me. I keep my projects behind a fence near my shop building