Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 Essex Coupe rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EssexCoupe, Aug 12, 2012.

1. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

I wanted to start by saying that I have a real respect for traditional styled hotrods. My Essex 3W coupe has been on the road for a few years now. She has a nice running 8BA flatty with a 3-speed and banjo rear. I really enjoy driving it, but the current configuration don't really put the HOT in Hotrod. I like to drive fast, and I like my cars to be up for the task. That 8BA is more of a slow and steady wins the race type of mill. So, it is time to rebuild the car. The 8BA is coming out to go in my girlfriends Shoebox project, and a new mystery mill is going in the Essex. I am changing out the tranny and rear, and installing a 32' Ford grille shell. I am changing from 15-inch steelies to 16-inch with New Firestones and a brake job all around. The major part of the build will be channelling the body, and getting some fresh color down. The car is still going to be traditional, but more suited to what I need. I will keep the updates posted as this build moves along.

2. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

3. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

An another build at same time?
    You must be real a machine,i never have time and money to mess with two different builds at same time.Good luck with this one too,i am going to watch this one!

5. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

6. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Good looking car keep the Essex grille 32 shells are over done thats my .02. If you go with the 32 grille shell pm with a price on the Essex shell thanks.

7. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Very cool! Nice to see another Essex hotrod. I have to agree with Medic...keep the Essex rad shell. :)

8. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i think you should git rid of the essex shell. besides, i need one. :D

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, EssexCoupe;

Mystery motor???

Could you be talked into:

A decent Hudson 6, say a 288 or 308 maybe? (Can't remember all their different cu in varieties).

Or maybe a v8 of the Packard-style, but used by Hudson. 320cid. If absolutely *needed*, a 352 or even a 374 Packard, but hiding underneath a pair of Hudson rocker covers.

Keepin' it "in the Family".

Just have a decent driveline, as those mills put out some decent torque. & of course, for insanity purposes, there's always a supercharger, or my preference: turbos. :D .

& a vote to keep the Essex grill shell. It's distinctive, & rarely found.

FWIW.

Marcus...

10. Ruggie

Ruggie

^^^x2 just don't put a chev in it.:eek:

11. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hey Annti! Yup - got the shoebox build and essex build going at same time. Should be a real fun and busy winter.

12. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Thanks. If I do change out the essex grille to the 32 - the essex is going up on my shop wall!! It is the original 29' Super six grille with a newer chrome job from Canada. Those don't just fall off the trees around my neighborhood.

13. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hey Thanks - I have looked at your truck build several times. Keep up the good work there.

14. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Now those are some good choices. Definately something to think about. I am going to keep the mystery motor under wraps for now. I will say that it will fit the cars personality - and no it won't be a chevy:)

15. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

I am trying out the 16-inchers with blackwalls just for a different perspective.

I will say this - my toughest decision this morning was what to drive down to Subway for a breakfast sammich.

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Long as you're channeling it, maybe consider trading off those Essex rails...I have '29 Chevy rails for my Track car, but...

O Those Essex! Looked for a pair for a long time....

Wish you lived out here in Cali...you've got neat stuff to work on!

17. ratster

ratster

looks good! love another essex