Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hurst history - trivia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Dec 13, 2009.

1. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

To answer the above postings....yes I dealt a lot with Tracy Byrd ove the years he bought A LOT of Hurst items from me maybe 5-6 years back when I sold a lot of items on ebay buyers knew if it was from me it was the real deal and not some fake Hurst item...I believe Tracy resides in Wisconsin....

I also sold a lot to Pete Serio who wrote the book on Hurst shifters. My wife helped him with the layout of that book. He is a walking book of knowledge on Hurst shifters and rebuilding them. And a l o n g time personal friend of mine. Back then I was posting stuff every week on ebay lots of rare Hurst items mostly to support my habit as I was buying a lot from a good friend of mine and as you can guess I had to sell items to keep buying other items to "fine tune" the collection I wanted.

Tracy was just one of several Hurst collectors most others would seek just certain items of interest. I think I have accomplished what seeked out and that is to have the rarest of rare Hurst items certianily not the largest.....

I started my collection in the late 1980s when Mr Gasket came and bought and moved Hurst from Warminster. Back then I focused strictly on GM items and shifter knobs etc. I probably have 50-60 different Hurst knobs.

Prior to that being in the GTO business since the late 1970s I bought and sold 23 sets of Hurst wheels most I ever got for a nice set was $3500. Today you can spend almost 3 times that for a mint set.

The one neat trick thing that to my knowledge only the Hurst trim ring does (chrome one) is in the sunlight it puts a circle reflection on the ground. I never saw any other trim ring do it.

As to the aluminum tim ring question they were short lived in production due to the fact they were so fragile and got dinged easy. So that makes finding one extremely tough. I just recently acquired the new one I showed earlier when I bought 6 Hurst wheel cans and lids.

It is the only one I got and I really do not want to sell it. Unfortunately I do not know of any others around.

[email protected]

After our Kirban Reunion event this saturday with Linda we wil be posting photos....we got a super neat back drop for photos....I got lucky a few weeks back local theatre was having a silent auction for the movie Cars 2 banners...the theatre had these 6 foot wide by 10 foot tall banners....I had top bid so I bought both of them. I told them I would go for a third one so they located a third one however that Cars 2 banner was 18 feet WIDE BY 8 FEET TALL and features all the cars from the movie on it. It is simply unique.

We will be posting a photo of it after our event with Linda....

I got a bunch of items that I had Bill Campbell sign for our event....Getting his signature is quite rare since he rarely if ever attends any functions.....and remember its his name that was part of the name until late 1969.......

2. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Kirban update I just picked Linda up at the airport 1 am.....

She will be at our event tomorrow Saturday August 20th kintnersville pa...I tried again to get Bill Campbell to come but no luck...of the few Reunion events we have done I did get Bill to come way back in 1988.....

[email protected]

3. theamcguy

theamcguy

Thanz to MR AMC Guy for posting

One of our Turbo Buick customers Russ and Nancy made this unique cake for our Kirban Reunion last Saturday. We did this from a color copy of an early Hurst decal I had given him.

The weather was picture perfect all day and Linda spent almost a solid 4 hours signing things for people with just one break in between. We only had about 45 cars most of them were top notch examples from street rods to GTOs to one of just 7 built special Snake Mustang Mustangs. We did have about 100 - 125 people come.

Several original Hurst employees came and appreciate the event. The sad part is Hurst glory days was in the 1960s and some of the key people from back then are in poor health or are no longer among us.

Their is no doubt Hurst was the brand for manual shifters during those years and a favorite among street rodders everywhere. We will post more photos later...

We will be with Linda again this coming weekend for the Wheels of Time event all three days at Macungie, PA. This is a huge event...

[​IMG]

4. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

I know its been awhile since I last posted will have MR AMC Guy post something here shortly. I've been busy trying to get some new projects done in time to market later this fall some even involve Hurst related items.

In this tough economy as anyone in the automotive business can attest to....its tough going.
    While researching some of my Hurts material I actually found the press release for the Hurst T handle it was announced in December of 1966 the metal version.

It is those two versions of the Press release that Mr AMC Guy wil be posting here shortly. I visited again last week with Bill Campbell. Besides my own personal collection he really has some unique one of a kind Hurst items and his stuff is all from 1969 and earlier.

Those where the real glory days for Hurst when 4-speeds ruled the road...today its 6-speeds and automatics are quickly becoming 8 speeds....and we thought 3 speeds was a huge step!

[email protected]

5. theamcguy

theamcguy

Thanz to MR AMC Guy for posting this.

As we mentioned here is the Press Release from Hurst December 1966 when the new T handle was introduced....notice the price!

Course today some of the shifter knobs Corvettes in particular can run $75 or more. I think the lited BMW ones run $100 or better.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

At one time Dick Chrysler, founder of Cars & Concepts and Michigan governor candidate, owned Hurst. He started out at the bottom with Hurst, eventually became vice-president, and later bought the company. A legend is that he bought the company so he could fire some past enemies. Not sure that's really true, but it makes a good story.

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

Just scored this 1960/61 Hurst Yo Yo Shifter for the 34 on Ebay.

Attached Files:

8. Rogers Performance

Rogers Performance

When was the last time any one saw a pile of these.

Attached Files:

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

Very cool! I just got this from a HAMBer..I'm having the yo-yo knob duplicated in clear blue for my 34.

Attached Files:

10. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

I been busy and not gotten on here for awhile. Recently our company has now been licensed by Hurst to produce some of the literature etc many of us recall from the early days from Hurst....by early days I mean in the 1960s.

Their is a book regarding Hurst that has been in the works for sometime now and should be published sometime early next year. We were fortunate enough to contribute to this undertaking.

[email protected]

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

had this very shifter back in mid 60's ,on one of many 3spds(11).I had in my 56 before I was able to afford the 4spd.That shifter goes thru the gate faster than the trans (syncros)can handle.damn good shifter.

12. Moparmal

Moparmal
    from Australia

Dennis - Congratulations on starting such an interesting and historically valuable discussion.

I have been an admirer of HURST design work, art work and the functionality of the companies parts for many years.

Unfortunately we didn't see too much of George and Bills equipment "down under" (except the shifters of course)..but I've always marvelled at the various pieces of equipment Bill and George dreamed up..like the Drag Shocks, Adjust-a-Bars and naturally the wheels!

One question - when did the change from the Red/White/Black logo to the
    Gold / Black logo happen?

[​IMG]

13. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

I recently posted this on another forum that I think readers here will find interesting.

Many of old timers will remember that I have quite a connection with Hurst. One advantage of living and growing up near the various Hurst plants during the 1960s.

Hurst originally started by making engine mounts conversion kits to drop various overhead V8 engines into other American cars in other words making it easy for hot rodders back in the mid 1950s and 1960s then of course expanded to something all of you are familar with shifters mostly manual style that Pontiac embraced for many many years.

Any rate George Hurst did a few conversion kits on late 1940s Lincoln Continentals that were powered by a V12 flat head engine that pumped out 130 hp in a car weighing 4,000 lbs.

One that he did in 1956 he dropped a 1956 Caddy V8 into this 1946 Lincoln convertible. See link below

www.collectibleclassiccar.yolasite.com

Although George did not own this car he was in Michigan to pick up the trophy for best engine conversion at the 3rd annual Lincoln Continental Owners Club Meet. As you view the photo that is George Hurst on the rite.

I currently own that trophy that George Hurst is holding. I purchased it a few years back from Pete Serio who I believe got it from George Hurst estate or off ebay from his estate. Be interesting to see if the car sells for the asking price.

According to Bill Campbell one of the best conversions they did back then was to put a 1956 Buick V8 complete drivetrain into one of those huge Lincolns.

If you read the article it appears that at least one of the owners probably had no idea that George Hurst did the conversion. I grew up in the town next to Abington, PA and I vaguely recall that garage.

[email protected]

The place selling the car has requested from me a photo of the trophy so they can show it on their website.

14. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

I honestly do not know as I have seen both versions around the same time period. red and black is probably more popular but the gold was one of Georges favorite colors. Pontiac later called it Tiger gold and offered it as a color I think in 1967. For many years I had a good customer in Australia that has a 1964 GTO.

Those cars all had to be converted to rite hand drive yet the console etc remained unchanged. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

[email protected]

15. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I have read most of this thread, but I may have missed any post concerning the "Hurst Armed Forces club"
    I think that I first learned about it in Hot Rod Magazine in the mid 60s while stationed at Avon Park Bombing Range in central Florida.
    After signing up, I was sent an Official card declaring me a member.
    It entitled members to attend Nascar Races, and drag races at no charge. They even provided box lunches while we were there. I went to Daytona several times, courtesy of Hurst Corp.
    As a GI with very limited resources ($92) a month, I always appreciated the kindness.
    Dave Gray
    Carlisle, Pa.

16. Moparmal

Moparmal
    from Australia

Yes thats right - up until about 8 years ago, all Left steer cars had to be converted -

Converting US cars became quite a skill - and still is with newer imports from the US.

The rules have now been relaxed and any car older than 30 years can be road registered (licenced) as left steer now....which preserves their value more.

Sorry for the OT.

17. Muttley

Muttley

Did they send you one of these decals?

[​IMG]

18. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I don't remember the decal, but I am sure if they sent it, I would have put it on the window of my car.

Dave
    Carlisle, Pa.

19. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

My contribution...... I did own a set of NOS Hurst Wheels in boxes, not tin cans. They were sold at Mecum auction along with the 1965 Pontiac GTO Convertible.

How about a 1969 Hurst Olds???? Sorry, she's a little dusty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. M.Edell

M.Edell

Was this the car that was on an episode of "What's my Car Worth?" Or was it Chasing Classic Cars? I cant remember now

21. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Not this particular car, but she is For Sale. Fully Documented and Meticulously restored. :D

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

Nice Car, I have no money for a car like this.Good Luck.

23. Moparmal

Moparmal
    from Australia

They come up on Ebay fairly regular.

24. Moparmal

Moparmal
    from Australia

25. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban update

been a good while since I returned to my thread I started....

I just attended the 28th Hurst Olds national Meet....it was held in nearby Hershey, PA. I went as a vendor and was also one of the guest speakers even though my knowledge of Hurst Olds is very little its the early Hurst history that I spoke on to the group.

They had about 45 cars most of which even for a small type event were top notch examples think I counted 8 or 9 of the high value ones the 1969 models....not one 1968 was among them and the popular ones were the 1983-1984 vintage including some really low mileage ones also the only 1977 prototype ever built was there. The owner of this prototype had a display sign showing that he owned one of every Hurst Olds example....quite an accomplishment.

The other two main speakers was Doc Watson and a engineer from Hurst back in the day Don Glover who worked at Hurst when my wife did in 1969.

This is the first time I had met Don....he actually did the original Hurst Equipped emblem which was not done until 1969. He also did the Hurst Olds emblem and had the blue print for the version that I have the cast one for that they did not use where the word Olds is half in the circle and half out of the circle.

It was very interesting to see this.....I recently been working on some projects and have been licensed by Hurst to do some of the Hurst items using their logo designs. Mainly some of their old catalogs and embroidery items.

Like many of you we get busy in life.....Bill Campbell was supposed to also be there but did not make the trip. Hershey is about I guess just under 2 hours form his house.

The big buck cars were the 1969 455 HO ones. Several later ones had the Hurst Hatches option better known today as T Tops. One car in particular had gold anodized trim Hurst Hatches... according to that owner only 4 sets were ever made.

All in all a great show......back when the Hurst Hatch was produced Hurst was part of the Sunbeam corporation...not the car Sunbeam but the toaster company!

Today Hurst is part of the B&M/Flowmaster family.

[email protected]

26. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

[​IMG]

great thread and items! heres something i picked up this week. gold fuzzy hurst t handle from 1967, still had the original package and instructions. almost felt bad only paying the guy that i bought it from $25 for the shift handle and a b&m shifter with cable, but, he priced it not me! :)

27. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Wow that was a good deal and the real deal reason I say that is as I been told....someone takes new T handles and does the fuzzy touch to them....

you got a good deal especially since its in the bag.....

[email protected]

I got a unique item the other day too from a friend of mine have to take a photo of it soon..its really a toy and has a Hurst shifter on it...this is way before license agreements came into being.....

[email protected]

28. spin_the_wheel

spin_the_wheel

Late to the party with this thread but great stuff. I have lot of Hurst items as well I will try and post at some point.

29. spin_the_wheel

spin_the_wheel

These were produced by a company called Houze Art in Point Marion PA. They are still in business I think but not at that location. The PA connection with Hurst would make sense in the late 60's early 70's.

30. spin_the_wheel

spin_the_wheel

Great stuff!!!! I also have a can in excellent condition. In my opinion this is the ultimate Hurst item to have in a collection.