Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling all Arizona people.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Riva B., Aug 12, 2012.

1. Riva B.

Riva B.

I am currently living in Massachusetts, I am from Phoenix. I moved here a while ago and now I want to go back home. I am looking for a area that will be ok with me, my car, and all around way i like to do things.

2. broey

broey

anywhere without a Home Owners Association is usually car friendly.

3. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Guess it depends what you look like, what car you drive and how you act.

4. Riva B.

Riva B.

Thanks, I kind of figured they didn't like that kind of thing. I am looking in the Goodyear or Buckeye area. Are they generally ok with cars??

5. My neighbors let me have my fun without much complaint. My cab over sits in the driveway with the springs starting to sag on the driver side. Not a sight i want to see it in, but the money never seems to line up with the time. Oil stains in the drive clean up pretty good with a little muratic acid when needed. There are 3 houses for sale right now on my street. Quiet neighborhood with one other car guy down the east end with a mach 1 mustang who never comes our of his house except to walk his dog. My neighborhood needs more car guys, not another drop house.

6. Riva B.

Riva B.

Ya, now we're talkin! I currently have my engine in my yard along with other bits I am working on. My nieghbors never say a word to me about it. Just have to keep my eyes open for scrappers. All the houses I have seen in non-HOA areas are kind of dumps, which I already have here :D

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you are in the older section of town you'll be fine. The problem with both is that the vast majority of both towns are now housing developements with H.O.A. rules. Both towns were so small to begin with that there just wasn't too much of the "older section" to begin with.

The other major problem you have is that your talking at the least a 20 mile commute to get into Phoenix proper from Goodyear, and more like 30 from Buckeye. For someone that likes to "do things", that a bit of a drive to do it. There really isn't much in either of the towns proper to do.

I don't know what type of housing you require, but I would very seriously consider moving into the central city area. I have lived down here for almost 25 years just love it. The building boom of the mid 2000s put up some many H.O.A. type neighborhoods on the outskirts that anywhere but the city centers, that's all you'll really find.

8. Riva B.

Riva B.

really? I don't want to move into a uniform drone kind of place where I can't enjoy the things i work hard for. Thats why I pretty much dropped the idea of living in Surprise. I am worried about the crime as far as central Phoenix. It was bad when I was there years ago.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I work from my home shop full time in my backyard with no problems ever. But i have to say, other than my hot rods parked out front, you would never know driving down my street that a car guy lived here. My home is a fairly expensive, nicely restored turn of the century place that WAS in a ghetto at one time 25 years ago when I bought it. I have to say that if you moved in next door and had an engine sitting on stand in your front yard, or a chassis disassembled up front, I would walk over and talk to you about it... No need to mess up a neighborhood just to be a car guy.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

What's crime? The criminals all seem to hit the outlying areas and housing developements because they are percieved as more "upscale". My mom worrys in her home in Paradise Valley, I leave stuff on my porch...

11. Riva B.

Riva B.

Naw, not looking to make a mess, I just have no choice here because i am in the center of the city and I have no garage or space to work in. I have the car stored in a closet size garage across town because there is no place to keep it here. Can't even work in that really because it is so small.

12. I keep my automotive mess cleaned up and parts behind the gate if i am too lazy to properly put away. I do not have cars on blocks and engine lifts lined up in the drive. I respect my neighbors and neighborhood so maybe that is why they respect me. Once i had an issue with the city zoning inspector and i complied with what she asked then everything was fine. Glendale is not the center of the hobby, but friday night at 51st and bell there is a little show, saturday night at 67th ave and bell there is a bigger show, and there are other places to go to if you dont mind driving your car, which in my mind thats the most fun of this hobby anyway.

13. Riva B.

Riva B.

Definately not looking to turn something "joe dirt" or get zoning on my case, Everything would be in my garage if I had one. I wasn't trying to come off hillbilly :)

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

15. The worst crime i have had happen to my property was in early 2011 when a hail storm hit, metal scrappers were going through the neighborhood on a daily basis worse than ever. I had some scrap metal i was sorting that i took off of my roof taken from my driveway along with the turbines that i had planned to reuse. Oh well now i have a ridge vent on my house which is a better system for ventilation. Also around the same time one early morning my dog barked which is odd so i woke up and ran outside half naked to find a truck driving away from my house with a loud crash in the bed of the suspects truck. I grabbed some rocks out of my yard and threw them as hard and fast as i could without ever knowing what they took. I am sure i hit one of the guys that were jumping in the bed of the truck. As i stood in the street in my boxers and socks i looked around and realized they stole the tailgate off of my friends 2004 chevy truck he let me borrow. I got dressed called the cops but because i did not have a plate number there was not much they could do.

I have lived here for 3 years and i feel pretty safe around here.

17. Riva B.

Riva B.

I was concerned because my brother lives in Phoenix and was telling me some stories but on the other hand I am also under the impression that he and his wife feel that any non HOA policed area is bad. He also told me to stay out of Glendale.. hahaha! Doesn't wound as bad as he says.

18. Every neighborhood has bad areas and good areas. Some of the bad areas are not as bad. Scottsdale is famed for being for the snooty and well to do lifestyle. You would not catch me in south scottsdale. Not that its horrible but its not north scottsdale. Pv is another story, its pv. Phoenix has its parts. Suprise is h.o.a. kingdom. Goodyear and buckeye are too far away from anything as Chip stated. Glendale has its parts also. South glendale around maryville is probally a lot safer than you think, but are you going to take that risk? I always wanted to move north of thunderbird but i am happy here for now. I have been growing fond of the historic houses in downtown phoenix. Maybe after i get my trucks done so i am not juggling the housing costs and the toy costs.

19. Riva B.

Riva B.

I was looking in those areas because the housing cost is so low but I'm definately a city gal. I don't really care for country living and i would have to travel for work and on the very few days i get off I am working on the chevy (except for right now). I find great houses but all HOA.

20. We got our house for $120,000 3 years ago because it has a 2 car garage with a rv gate and concrete driveway that can have at least 6 vehicles parked on concrete. No hoa.

Now the market has dropped but i have slowly improving the house and getting the mortgage modification has helped us stay above water with the resale value when time comes.

21. Riva B.

Riva B.

Well, a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage here in MA is gonna run ya about 200,000 on top of the fact that they are mostly over a hundred years old.

22. I am an originally a beantown boy. Maybe if it would never snow again i might move back

Actually i was born in fitchberg. My aunt and uncle owned a restaraunt in leomister before moving to vegas.

23. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I live on Dobson Ranch in Mesa, which is an HOA. I keep both my "fun" cars listed below in the garage with my utility vehicle (a Camry) in the driveway ... never had any problem. Hagerty wants them garaged anyway. One thing to remember is that since there really aren't any basements here in the valley, a whole lot of people use their garages for storing the stuff they would have otherwise stuck in a basement, leaving their cars in the driveways ... and that's in most HOA's, also.

So c'mon back ... just remember that this is the (mostly) free state of AZ and we don't give a damn how they do things in Beantown!!

Barry

24. squirrel

squirrel

I live down here in Sierra Vista, not much going on....but we have a place with 4 acres about 10 miles (20 minutes) from the middle of town. We can do whatever we want with cars. And one neighbor is into cars too.

If you want to live in the Phx area then you need to do some research to find an old neighborhood that was built before all the develpment, some place that used to be a rural area, with big lots and no associations.

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  26. bonesy

bonesy

I moved here a little over a year ago. I just told the real estate agent and searched Zillow "no HOAs." It worked for me.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If your thinking down town, I'll help anyway I can. There are some good deals on stuff in up and coming historic districts these days.

28. Invicta

Invicta

We are trying to buy a house downtown in the historic districts now but have had some bad luck with losing to investors. We did find one but it has no garage. We will have to build one. I have found that a lot of car guys live around those parts.

29. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Reading this really makes me appreciate where I live.

30. Fenders

Fenders

Ya mean like my front yard? (My neighbors which are not many, think it's humorous...)

Oh here's the side yard with the DeSoto clip....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012