Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

That quarter wasnt a big surprise for me,the inner fender was also dented and cracked from same spot where the quarterpanel damage is.So,i knew there was something on the quarterpanel too,it was a bit worst than i thought.
    Thanks for the offer,i appreciate it.I put an add to the classifieds concerning the windsplit,but i guess there is always need for something.I guess the windsplit is on the top of my wanted list at the moment.
    Well,i let you know if that add doesnt lead anywhere.

2. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Great looking Shovel!! Rear quarter shouldn`t be too big problem for you after looking your metalcraft skills.

3. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hey Finn - Our terms over here are a bit different than your. I am not sure what you mean by windsplit? If you post up a picture of a windsplit, I will take a look and see if I have what you need.

4. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Well,i guess i can figure it out,hopefully

I learned term windsplit from this board,they are the "tail light wings".
    I've seen them for sale on the classifieds and they are called by that.
    Well,slang terms and dialect words can be pain in the ass sometimes.

Wait,the passengers side is the mirror image?
    I thought the drivers side door skin will work on the drivers side quarter as a patch?

6. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Finn - I have the panel you are looking for. It is a drivers-side full rear quarter (windsplit) from a 4-door car. The panel is nice and straight. I am heading out of town this afternoon to the Oregon Coast for a small holiday. I will post up a picture of the panel on Monday when I get back. PM me with your shipping details, and I can talk to my shipper to see how long it will take.

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That sounds really great,PM sent!
    I think its better to replace half of the quarter than just the windsplit area,that should make this job a lot easier and the quarter doesnt look like some sheetmetal puzzle.
    I have accepted that fact that the quarterpanel work may take some time,its just impossible to get bigger things in here quickly and cheap.
    But luckily(?)i have lot of smaller things to do.So while waiting that quarter donor piece problem is solved,i can do some other stuff.
    I've found out that when you are deep in shit with some phase,making some small thing as a sideproject will bring the motivation back.
    So,i chopped an another garnish moulding as a sideproject:

[​IMG]

8. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Nice work! All your metalwork looks pretty damn good!

9. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Aint that the truth!!

10. good morning Antti,

nice to see what you're doing, and nice bike for sure! ;)

what kind guys are here, so you're gettin' a quarter, i think it's the perfect solution for your car, nice!

and what ya said about 'problem corner -- go to -- sidejob' is a good way to go through a car, i'm working this way, too. have a nice weekend! took my steel wheels back from the painter yesterday, today i will mount and balance my 16"-whiteys, yehaa! :D

greets, Carsten

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    Yes,this messageboard is really cool place with really cool people.At the moment i am working with the donor pieces that Big A sent me.And yes he sent them,he only wanted money for shipping.I think because of people like him,its possible to pull this kind of project to the end.
    I'll post something when i've am done with this donor piece work.

12. THEKID49

THEKID49

The garnish molding looks good. I knew that quarter was a mess, that's why I stayed away from it! Keep it up

13. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Wait,the passengers side is the mirror image?
    I thought the drivers side door skin will work on the drivers side quarter as a patch?[/QUOTE]
    It's the passenger side would be the same shape as the door flipped around. The drivers side would put the shape backwards. I have a door I can cut up to test.

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks,the quarter was pretty much in that condition that you said when we met at the Billetproof.Well,there is few nasty spots on this car,but there is also some spots that i like.Like that chopjob you did.Few yrs back when importing was harder than it is nowadays in here,some guys drag home really bad projects from the forests.Those projects were really garbage comparing to this project.Hat off for those guys,but personally i would never start to mess with that kind of pos what they did.

You dont have to make test cuts because of me,i think replacing half of the quarter is my way to do it.So,dont waste a door because of me,thanks anyway.

An another thing that has bothered me since the day i got this car was this:

[​IMG]

The rail above the quarter window is gone and its never a good thing to find a chunk of bondo from the place like this.Well,its never good thing to find it from anywhere...

[​IMG]

I knew it that there was something wrong behind that chunk,but no worries...
    Now is time to use that Big A's donor piece.

[​IMG]

I drilled off all the spotwelds from donor pieces inner rail and separated it temporarily from the outer window frame part.That way it was easier to clamp the outer piece to the top.

[​IMG]

Here it is welded.I think i have to hammer the window lip a bit before i put the inner rail back,but i guess its otherwise ok.Thanks again Big A!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  15. Harryw1023

Harryw1023

You do great work , my hat is off to you my friend, Harry

16. THEKID49

THEKID49

I saw the duraglass inside and was glad I could stay away from it. Never knew about those giant holes. Good job on the replacement.

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

way to keep up the progress !

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!

Thanks!
    Looks like that i leave alone every spot on the car that you have done.
    Sometimes i wish that there were more your fingerprints on the car,that means less work for me:D

Thank you sir!

19. farmer12

farmer12

That looks really good, well done!

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

21. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hello Finn,

Good news - the 4 door parts car arrived at my place yesterday, and that quarter looks pretty good. I will take a picture today or tomorrow and post it up for you. Now all we need is a shipper. Anyone used a shipper to send international from the states?? PM me.

22. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

I forgot to mention - That upper window repair you did looks great Antti!

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats really great news,Mark!

That will make my life a lot easier in the middle of this quarter mess.
    If you cant find anyone,i think we should use my contacs in there.
    Thanks for your words,i havent welded the inner rail yet to the inside.But that should happend soon.That rail and the window piece were on bare metal.There was absolutely nothing to protect them against the rust.Big A's donor pieces were solid,but I am going to lay some primer on those pieces before welding.So,fellow shoebox guys,spraying some antirust stuff to that spot isnt a bad idea.

24. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

car is looking better all the time.

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

26. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Hi Finn - Sorry about the delay in getting these pictures. Here is a picture of the new parts car, and the quarter panel I have for you. The rear part by the light is banged in, but the rest of the quarter is in great shape. Just let me know if this will work for you, and I will get it cut out and shipped this week. Do you need any other parts?

Attached Files:

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

No problem,that looks like a good donor piece.I think that dent isnt a big problem,it should be easier to hammer it up when its cut off from the car.
    Friend of mine owns a planishing hammer,that might be handy with the dent..
    Actually there is something i need,i'll hit you a pm about that.
    And big thank you for taking your time with the donor piece!

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here is a little update:

[​IMG]

The inner rail job is now done.There was some of the inner side of B-pilar on the donor piece,so i used that too.
    And next...I guess i'll start to fix drivers side door.There is some rust,pinholes,huge dent on the lower door skin and crappy hinges ofcourse.That should make me busy for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  29. Good job Finn . Stay at it . I cant seem to find time for mine right now . I have to get my fix through you guys that are getting something done LOL ! Andy ..

30. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota