Register now to get rid of these ads!

How old is your rubber?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dasboot3, Aug 11, 2012.

1. dasboot3

dasboot3

Yeah yeah, I know......you've had one in your wallet since high school!!!:rolleyes:
    But really, do any of you have 30, 40 or 50+ yr old cars with the original rubber underneath......shocks, bushings, leaf springs. etc?
    I haven't changed anything on my 60 Falcon wagon and she rides fine.
    Interesting how the window trim seems to be deteriorating but underneath all looks good?

2. I have a 45 year old Fairlane with original everything still in good shape. But it hardly ever leaves the confines of my garage so I think that keeping out of the sunlight helps the rubber.The tires are almost new....about 15 years.:rolleyes:

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tires are the most important for safety. If you see cracks in the sidewalls AT ALL, they're probably too old. Btw...go back to your brake cylinder thread, and I'll give you some help.

4. Tire Age. Tires do age and become unusable after time regardless if they were in service or not. Some auto manufacturers like Audi, BMW, Ford, and Volkswagen recommend replacing tires after six years, and some tire manufacturers agree that any tire ten years or older should be replaced regardless of tread wear.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 1948 Seagrave pumper has the original B.F. Goodrich Silvertowns on it. (BTW, they are gorgeous tires with great sidewall designs). The truck has always been stored inside and since I've had it (about 20 years), I 've taken good care of the tires. They still look and work fine. I wouldn't take them on a 500 mile trip at 60 MPH though.

The tires on my '51 club coupe were bought new in 1987. They have about 10,000 miles in them. The rears (formerly on the front) are showing some wear. They hold air well and run down the road good. The farthest I go is into town (6 miles) and I don't go very fast. One of my next projects is to get new tires for this car so I can go where I want to. I probably won't do it until one of the current tires die, however.

The spare in the '51 is, I believe, one of the original Firestone "Gum-Dipped" blackwalls that came on the car originally. I check the pressure every 6 months, and have to add a little air every couple of years.

6. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I believe the tires on my 56 Ford truck are the original. 15000 miles. They look great.

That makes them 56 years old.

Before everyone tells me not to drive on them, check with the Bonneville guys, they are going 200 MPH on 40 year old tires. Because no one in the USA makes them anymore.

I think that it is the "new " soft rubber radials that they say are falling apart.

(I could be wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was right , so I was wrong.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd like to see a salt car run on 50 year old rubber. I don't think it would be pretty.

8. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Watch the movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian" for tire care tips.

9. jimbousman

jimbousman

Bought my '41 sedan delivery in 1965 with the original Ford script tires. Put on a set of 6:00 x 16 Allstate two ply tires (with wide porta walls) They're still on her.

Yes, I do plan to replace them when I put it back on the road.

10. dasboot3

dasboot3

I wasn't even thinking of tires when I posted this.
    I didn't think anyone would ride on tires that old!
    I meant the rubber bushings and gaskets etc. .
    The rubber between the leaf springs.
    From the responses I guess 52 yr old rubber is still acceptable aside from obvious deterioration and breakage.

11. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

just got around to changing the original sprial front shocks on my pops 55 chevy last summer

12. Look at the tires on the rear of Winfield's '32. I believe he bought them in the '60s.

13. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I had tires on my 47 that were almost 10 years old and they came apart while driving to Springfield MO a few years back. I was in the inside lane and when the tread came off I spun into the cable barrier in the center of the highway and tore up the right front fender and the left rear fender. So if you plan on driving you car then change the tires if they are older then 5 years. Just because you cannot see cracks in the side wall that does not mean they are not rotted inside.

14. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

all the rubber under my 55 pontiac is original to the car, i need to strat replacing some of it, because its getting squeky. but the tires i have, the rears are from the 80's the fronts are sears allstate recaps from the mid 60's and they have never given me trouble, or any signs of damage

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Look at the tires on Bobby Greens Belly Tank or the Vintage Auto Performance car of Logan Davis ... The guy Bobby is at the salt with now.

There are MANY cars out there with tires from the '40s '50s '60s '70s

16. I have a real old one, I just shake the fuck out of it and use it again. :rolleyes:

I have had cars with old bushing that are just fine and others have the bushings worn plumb out. On the other hand tires do have an expiration date and I probably would not trust my life on 30 year old tires. it is entirely up to you I suppose but I cannot recommend that you use 30+ year old tires for anything but display purposes.

17. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I know the original question wasnt about tires but can we get to what's important, is Death from old tires considered traditional?

18. moefuzz

moefuzz

How about no, we respect the original posters thread and you take your tires elsewhere.

19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I took apart my '51 Mercury, I was surprised to find some rubber parts that were still in pretty decent shape. I think they are all original. This is an AZ car, and the pieces underneath, out of the sun, were decent. Some of the body cushions could have been reused, as well as some front suspension seals and other grommets. I replaced them all though. I will be reusing a few pieces, such as the axle bumpers mounted to the frame rail. They are in great condition, surprisingly, and I like them better than the replacement pieces. Some of the window frame pieces were good enough to continue being used, but once they were removed, they were a little bit brittle and were damaged.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Pointless to keep old rubber. Rubber deteriorates regardless of how good 30 year old rubber looks. I had a 61 Impala and back in 1980 I was leaving my brothers house, turning the corner when the front driver's side of the car went down. Turns out that the bushings were so worn out that the shaft had worked it's way through the A-arm itself. I had to find a used A-arm because they weren't selling parts for old cars like they do today.
    I am currently working on my 51 A.D and I am replacing all the rubbers down to the glove box bumpers because I don't want any old rubber on my truck. So it's dumb to ask about old rubber and even dumber to keep old rubber on your car. This thread must have been posted by a Y.T.

21. dasboot3

dasboot3

Doncha just LOVE folks that think a thread is stupid but take time to respond!:rolleyes:

Is Armorall REALLY that good for preserving the integrity of rubber parts?
    I wish there was something that wasn't so shiny!

22. Armorall will destroy rubber parts in the proper situation, like heat and sun.

23. dasboot3

dasboot3

So what's out there for preservative upkeep on all rubber parts?
    My problem with Armorall is it looks tacky when it's all shiny on your tires unless the rest of the car is SPOTLESS!

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I would think that, depending on where rubber is used, it's consistancy would vary. For example, windshiled rubber would be softer and more flexable compared to suspension bushings. Depending on the application, wear would be different.

Therefore, unless the rubber item was hard to find, I think replacement would be the way to go. Especially on suspension pieces.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That has to do with not using it properly. When i used to use it, I NEVER sprayed it on a tire or dash, like you see guys do. I sprayed it on a cloth and wiped it on, then wiped it off. It doesn't get all over and you can control how much you are putting on.

While driving through the "hood", I could always spot the Armorall Kings. Those were the guys who sprayed on a layer and barely got it all off. I could see the Armorall whipped onto thier cars from the tires spinning. Another dip shit move was to spray it on and leave it on without wiping it off. I don't know who started the "shiney" tire trend, but it looks kinda stupid.

Now, I use Mothers "Black-to-Black" on my tires. It's made for exterior bumper and trim care. You pour a little on your cloth and rub it into the tire, then wipe with another cloth. Doesn't get everywhere and I can control how much is getting used, so none is wasted. It also won't leave that "Pimp Shine" on your tires or dash.

26. Imperial66

Imperial66
    from NC

With the exception of the tires, everything on my 66 is original and still in good shape. I drive it eveyday.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Most of the rubber bushings have been replaced in my older vehicles by now,just had a 12 year old radial come apart on me yesterday but caught it before it could do some damage.