Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailer question (before I build it)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rainmans32, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

I'm new around here and I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

I'm building a '32 3 window with a 241 Hemi and steel fenders, boards and hood with a glass body. (couldn't afford the metal body) My question is, how do I know where to mount the side strap boxes on an 18' car hauler for my '32 without the car being finished? Anybody out there have this setup and could tell me where they go?

Thanks folks. I hear this is the perfect board for getting good info.

Attached Files:

2. oldolds

oldolds

Build it so it dosen't break. That is the only time it should be on a trailer.

3. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

Well it will make a couple of trips for some custom work, and the painter, and the upholsterer... This WILL be a driver, I promise!

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

You are going to get a bit of flack for being a FNG and asking about a trailer.
    I don't understand what you mean by "side strap boxes".
    Judging from the pics, you should have a pretty good idea of the wheelbase, overhangs, and track width. That should get you pretty close to what you need to build. There are a couple trailer build threads here, use the search to check them out. Also, there is a great trailer forum but I can't remember the name.
    We can't all build a car from chunks that fit in the back of our pickup to fully complete!;)

5. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Good looking car...nothing wrong with owning a trailer, never know when it will come in handy

6. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

106" wheelbase. As far as the boxes go, I'm sure they have a real name but I don't know what it is. It's the brackets on the side of the trailer for the tie down straps.

I'll search for the other thread. Thanks.

No idea what FNG means but flack is no problem.

7. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

"Good looking car...nothing wrong with owning a trailer, never know when it will come in handy"

Just another tool in the barn.

8. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Usually, the tie downs are at the front and rear of the trailer. This stops the car from moving backwards and forwards. Tie downs on the side just doesn't sound right.

9. verde742

verde742

FNG think it means sumthin' like "Friendly New Guy"

Harbor Freight has some "Baskets" to tie down front wheels, like U-Haul has on their rentals.. they are "on Sale" this week end..

neat

10. four straps pulling four directions .... if it doesnt look secure then it probably isnt.

11. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Do yourself a favor and don't make the trailer straps fit just one car. Chances are once you have a trailer, you'll find yourself using it for a lot of other cars besides your 32.

12. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

This is the type trailer I'm talking about. If you look closely you can see the side mounts. Four tire nets will work perfectly. I do plan to use it for other purposes including helping others but I have the opportunity to set it up perfectly for the '32 before I pick it up. It will have multiple attachment points.

Attached Files:

13. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Most car hauling trailers have the rings, padeyes,shackles or whatever you want to call them atachement points( at least 4) on the trailer mounted forward and aft of where the car would be placed on the trailer. These rings would be placed approximately 24 " off the trailer center line on both sides. When straping the car down cross your straps in an "x" pattern. In other words the strap over the left side axel will be attached to the right ring on the trailer and so forth. That way the straps are pulling against each other and your car wil not shift side ways on the trailer. Put your axel straps over the axel and not on the cars frame wich will move up and down because of the suspension movement. You need the ar solidly attached to the trailer as if it is one unit for saftey.

14. CFM

CFM
    from Santa Rosa

I call them stake pockets. I have them every 2 feet on my trailer since I haul a lot of different size vehicles. You dont want to strap a vehicle down straight out to the side of the trailer.

15. Those are stake pockets for sideboards if you want.
    You can use them for straps if you want to haul lumber or steel.

You absolutely can not tie a car to the trailer like a load of lumber.
    You use a splayed pattern, with D rings to the front and rear, or wheel baskets.
    D rings on my trailer are located 10" back & in from the corners.
    What you may find difficult is a suitable attachment point on the car that doesn't scratch or mar a pained frame, hence the invention of wheel baskets.

Nice car and welcome to the HAMB.

(BTW, FNG is Fucking New Guy. Everybody here has had a chance to fill that position )

16. Some up front , some out back, and some more just because.

Remember cars are not cheap , and some parts not available. so never cheap out out the trailer or truck that haul them.

good luck w it.

17. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

what make of wheels are you running? neat old shop(barn) a little cold in the winter?

18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You can never have enough D ring locations. 4 is plenty for a car but you will use it for many things and the more the merrier. I personally have 2 extra on each side.

19. Always attach your straps to either the frame, over the tires, or to the axles...NEVER over the top of the car! You sound like you are new to towing, so you need to know the correct way to strap a vehicle to a trailer.

20. A Rodder

A Rodder

They are called stake pocket tie downs.
    They can be used to tie loads down going across the trailer or if you are tying down a car, I use the ones closest to the front to pull om the front of the car and the rear ones closest the the rear of the trailer to pull from the rear of the car.

I actually rarely use them because when your tie downs pull off at an angle they usually don't hook squarely into the stake pocket.

I usually use the flat hook style strap and hook it around the bottom lip if the trailer frame at front and rear andthe pull directly to the rear end and front axle.

I did just order some more d rings and will weld them on and go to a strap that has a spring loaded keeper latch.

Ideally look into some E TRACK and utilize it with some tire bonnets. That seems to be how most of the transportation companies strap cars.

As said DO NOT tie down from the frame. It will suck closer to the trailer when the the cars suspension gives and your straps will loosen. Go to the rear axle and front axle or lower control arms.

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Like said you can't have enough rings. At least 2 rings in back, 2 rings in front, when using straps "cross" them from left to right and right to left, keeps the car centered.............................

22. A Rodder

A Rodder

31 Vicky, on that setup it seems the car could still roll front to back a little. Is the driver strictly relying on the emergency brake?

I was thinking of the bonnet where a hook attaches directly on the deck on front of the tire, then theI strap goes up and over the tire and feeds thru a fitting that is directly on the deck behind the tire and runs a few feet back try a ratchet that is anchored to the deck.

23. I'm sure you'd get some front and aft movement of a inch or two. The suspension is free to work on that system too. Some times you can get Wierd harmonic motion with the cars weight moving around different than the trailer or tow rig. It makes me sea sick. I'd only go across town like that. For a cross country trip and hauling ass, I'd block the frame solid to the trailer and tie the frame to the trailer.

24. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

(For some reason, the site stopped telling me post were coming in. I'll fix that.)

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm new to owning a trailer and have NO INTENTIONS of hauling my car or anything else before I know all I need to about setting up the trailer and hooking up the load. The side stake pockets are for tire baskets/nets possibly. I do know to cross the front and rear straps, and I do know to pull in the front and rear to hold the car from rolling. The guy building the trailer has made thousands of them and I'm sure he'll do a great job of helping me set it up right, I just want to show up with some more knowledge before I get there.

I was told to sign up here to get all the help I need and it's proving them right. I appreciate the help and advice.

25. willymakeit

willymakeit

Invest in a good lock or removable hitch to slow down thieves .
    Bo to the Miller welding forum for a lot of good ideas.

26. Besides 4 0r 8 D rings You might consider adding a gravel shield up front & removable fenders & a spare tire mount. I use a wind screen off a semi mounted on the front deck with the spare tire mounted inside of it & the nose of the car fits right up close also.

27. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

Sorry Dave, I missed your question first go around.

The wheels are artilleries. Double powder coated to match the wide whites. The front two whites unfortunately are permanently stained blue. Going back to Coker for new ones.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  28. Rainmans32

Rainmans32

Trailer is now in hand. Glad they aren't the ones painting my car but hey, it's a trailer. They added extra stake pockets down both sides and four D rings up front, four across the back. In the next few weeks or so I'll be hauling my '32 and when it's loaded I'll take some shots and post them.

Thanks for all the advice and experience. You never have to use it all but just like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

29. Really don't need to see pics of a 32 on a trailer unless its fuckn broke down.......