Register now to get rid of these ads!

'60 Falcon wagon front drums not bleeding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dasboot3, Aug 11, 2012.

1. dasboot3

dasboot3

Hey guys!
    I've put in a new master cylinder and the rear brakes bled just fine.
    But I can't get ANY fluid out of the front???
    I cracked the bleeders on both, left cylinder cap off and waited 20 min.
    Nothing!
    Left only one bleeder open and had son push pedal while performing the usual bleed technique and STILL nothing!
    Why isn't the fluid coming through even with pedal pressure?
    And I thought I'd be on the road today!:mad:

2. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Its the wheel cylinders , they are full of crud. You need to either take them off clean them and rebuild them or purchase new ones. Been there many times. Good luck.

Sent from Boerne Stage Kustoms

3. If the car has been out of action for some time, you need NEW cylinders, as said , AND new hoses,,,,

4. The bleeders themselves are probably clogged solid. I also agree with springing for new wheel cylinders, hoses and probably everything under the brake drums.

Bob

5. dasboot3

dasboot3

Thanks so much guys!
    I stopped driving DASBOOT 7 yrs ago when my son was born(3 jobs/70hrs per wk will seriously cut down on leisure time!!) ;-).
    So I guess things have seized up in the lines.
    But WHY only the front?
    And BOTH front lines??????
    Anyway, new cylinders and hoses it is!
    Believe it or not, she is COMPLETELY original save for the rad, master and tires.
    All the original rubber and hoses are still there.
    Shocks too.
    43,630 original miles.
    A complete restore is financially out of the question but bit by bit she's getting new life in her.
    Boernestage....That wagon looks great! I might just put on whitewalls next time around!
    Thanks again everybody for your help!

6. What he said.

pull the bleeders clean them out.

7. dasboot3

dasboot3

Thanks Lowkat but there isn't ANY fluid coming through the line at all.
    I removed the bleeders and absolutely nothing came out.
    Now that I think of it.....it must be in the rubber hoses cause fluid isn't even getting to the cylinder!

8. Did you install a single master cylinder or a duel master cylinder?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it? HRP

9. check the line where the rubber hoses connect, bet they are collapsed internally.

10. As also said, the rubber hoses will degenerate and could be the problem. New hoses are cheap life insurance anyway.

So you know we'll be wanting to see this 43,000 mile car.

11. Chances are slim that both soft hoses are collapsed. I'd look upstream for a kinked steel line first. The actuality is that the wheel cylinders are probably frozen and not moving.

Bob

12. knuckledragger66

knuckledragger66
    from Hutto,Tx

I recently bought a 64 f100 that the po could not fix the brakes.Turns out all three hoses had partially collapsed.Hoses are cheap.
    Dan

13. I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago, and someone said "have you bench bled the Master cylinder?",,,, and that's what it was. You can look it up and with a couple of rubber tubes do it in a few minutes.

14. Any old car that has been sitting should have all the soft hoses replaced just to rule them out.

On any car I get, I do that. Plus the car goes on jackstands and all 4 wheels are stripped to the backing plates. Wheel cylinders.. out. Master cylinder.. out. Same goes with all the replaceable hardware and of course the shoes.

Putting it back together correctly is another story. I'm always awed (not in a good way) by 1/2 assed brake jobs I've seen done by supposed pros.

Bob

15. dasboot3

dasboot3

That's what I'm thinking also.
    I can't imagine BOTH lines being clogged or damaged.
    I'm suprised that cylinders would seize too!
    Ya know......this car sat for 26 yrs and I never bled the brakes before because it stopped when it was supposed to.
    I wonder if the front brakes EVER worked!!
    Even now it's stopping perfectly.
    As for the master, it's a single and I didn't bench bleed it first.
    Just put it in.