Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Oilers CC Present: "Race of Gentlemen"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Jul 18, 2012.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

hitch a ride, Chris. I think this is a can't miss event...

2. F&J

F&J

Just wondering if anyone has tested the beach with the watering and rolling? Man, I have never set foot on a Jersey beach, but I ran the R.I. beaches for many years with 4x4 campers. Yikes, it's soft:eek:.

But, we liked steady rain on the way in, or out, because it helped a lot...so maybe the water wagon thing will work. At least there is plenty of water nearby:rolleyes:

3. Holy shit killer logo!!! We gotta do something. Everyone else, yes, yes, and yes!!! Gotta run out door............

4. redbeard

redbeard

This is by far one of the best ideas for an event that I have ever heard of.

fucking Brilliant!

I, like you, prefer action rather than sitting around a parked car show.
    which is why I started putting on runs, but this is even better.

my hats off to you. And though I don't think I will make it out from CA this year,
    if you keep this shit up, I could see myself making it to NJ.

good luck.

5. Thanks Red Beard!!! We would love to have you out. I feel the same way, by next year year if all goes right the world will be here.

I already have a plan to get a few of my California pals to come and stay with me.

Yesterday I was day dreaming about having the Hot Heads East(Germany), and my A-Bombers pals(Sweden) load up their rides in a container and tour America, then meet up with us for the beach race. I know it's a dream of my friend Haken of A-Bombers. It is really not that espensive either to send a car or cars across the Atlantic. Especially when you don't have to pay the tax as it is not being sold.

6. I grew up driving on the beach. There is an island close by where my beach house is, Long Beach Island. The end of the island is set up so you can drive to the end of island and fish, surf, etc. This is a a hard beach to enter, but once on it is easy to drive close to the ocean effortlessly. We actually use to bring a stock VW bug on the beach loaded with surf boards when I was a kid. We also had four wheel drive trucks as well. It was always fun getting stuck and having to dig out with your family and friends. We always had those little foldable military shovels in are cars or trucks.

Like I was saying, the beach will need to be graded back towards the boardwalk and street which both run parallel with the ocean. It is a practice of this township to help save sand during the storm season. Most beaches dissappear in the off season. Most are usually replenished by a barge running along the shore, sucking sand from the ocean, and blowing it back over the beach. The Atlantic can get pretty brutal down here at the shore. One of the reason I live here. There is nothing like living on the edge!

Right now the beach is to busy to start any pre set up. But soon all the Bennies go home, and the beach is ours!

The towns are so behind me doing this that I still feel like I'm dreaming. Most often when I did a show, I had to rent fences, pay for cops, etc. The whole town is supporting me as they know I'm going to curate this right and make pretty special. The plan is to make all kinds of fun stuff to dress the beach right.

I was 4 towns away yesterday on my Indian, at the beach. I had left my bike under my friends place (garage under an apt). I wheeled her out and kicker her over. The neighbor walked over and said, so have heard they are going to race old bikes on the beach near by. I laughed thinking he was toying with me and was in on what I was up too. Turns out he runs an antique shop in that town and the people are talking and excited!

Ive still yet to really announce it. Waiting for all the details still. Once the band lets me know if they can get here off there tour, I'll probably start putting info everywhere. As for now, we are just secureing the racers and their cars/bikes so we can count on something happening.

Shit, I'd almost careless if anyone came and they left me and my buddies to run 29 roadsters and pre war bikes on the beach all day. Heaven!!!

7. Id also like to add...

I grew up on the shore here in NJ. My dad surfed, played drums, and built cars in the 60's. So the influence has always been there. So I grew up dreaming of girls, beach parties, cars on the beach, etc. It has been just that, a dream!

I say that because, I have yet to be to one super sweet bon fire beach party. Maybe with a firend or two, but not a real wing dinger. This just doesn't happen here like you see on Tv with Annette and Frankie. Everyone is uptight! Really, I just started to hear about municipalities even throwing bon fire parties. It just never happend before. And there never is a sound system with anything good playing that is for sure.

This mayor requested we have a Bon fire at the pre party. He also requested that my bro-in law DJ. And that is an instant party. Seems all the the guys in charge are a little older then me and my friends. I feel some of them have grown up much more conservitive then I, but they dig how we do things. I think I made all the right friends really just with music. Me and my pals happen to dig the earliest of dirty rock and roll, greazy soul, and R&B. There is a definete connection between us all, and people reconize that I spearheaded that style in the clubs down here a bunch of years ago. Therefore a lot of people want us to throw parties again. Sounds like a sweet job to me!!!

I got out of the biz for awhile. I'm working on opening a few different clubs this year. All based around snotty rock and roll which surprisingly, is very hard to find. My favorite part about these clubs, are that all walks of life come. So the thread, ...is music to this fabric.

I was about to move to LA. out of boredom. I even spoke with Mr. Bobby Green about coming to work for him as we both kinda live parellel lives. Cars, bar biz.
    The moons aligned here recently, and a bunch off cool things dropped out of the woodwork.

Thanks to a cool pair of Mayors, looks like a good time will be had by everyone!

8. Sick 34 Redbeard, wish you were here!

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good luck Mel! Nice to see the racing history of New Jersey is getting a new life. Bob

Attached Files:

10. Hey Bob! Thanks man.

We are already talking about bringing this show on the road as well. As shouldn't put the cart before the horse, but sometimes I can't contain my excitement. Just got off phone with another interesting party.

You can bet if the guys that say they wanna race, show up with the killer bikes and cars Iv'e seen... then it going to be one hell of an event.

Again, if there are any tradtional guys that are building cars or bikes to play double duty as race cars. We are hoping to start some new chapters and get everyone having some old timey fun again. Granted, I know guys are still doing nostalgic drag days and such. But we are looking to do some old time off shoots and events. We Oilers out of NY/NJ now realize we can't compete on our own with our budgets, lives etc.

We have a large enough facility to build a few cars. We have a Flathead dragster so close to completion. We also have all the parts to build a proper tank for the salt or Maxton. Al Clark of Go Devil Garage is a standing member of the Oilers and will put all his services into our engines. We just need a little more coin for internal parts, and other costs, like travel to shows, etc. Al has built a few Flathead V8's for likes of the Rolling Bones crew which got them started at Bonneviille. We just need some more sponcers or members to kick in. Soon enough we will get this show on the road.

I own enough proper engines and speed equiptment myself.

Originally, we wanted to keep our crew small. Now we would like to help promote racing and support each other in different parts of the world. It was a promise I made to Jim Nelson, and I'd like to honor that now that my son is getting old enough to get back at it.

We'll see what happens in the future with the Oilers. We had talked with a bunch of guys out in Cali, Carlsbad area as well. I have a couple of buddies that drag some old coupes and such. Someday soon I hope!

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oh man, this is just gonna be other-worldly epic! glad the stars aligned for you to stay out east!

12. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

A bunch of us from PA will be there too

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. hey mel, any word on lodging yet. that place you said is a bit pricey... they told me appox. $200 a night per room. we didn't really want to invest in the place we just would like to stay somewhere for a night or two. any other suggesting close by or do you think you might be able to get a little bit better rates there(it is a very cool place). i am sure you are damm busy with all of this but let me know when you get a chance. i do have a bunch of people interested in coming down. thanks,tom

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  14. bobfromnj

bobfromnj
    from nj

Matthewsgarage there are some cheaper ones in belmar or wall

15. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Man, if you ever take this on the road, think about bringing it to Vegas. No too many beaches close by but we do have a lot of open spaces and dry lake beds for some speed runs.

16. thanks bob,i will check them out. we are digging some old indians out of the barn for this one mel. early racing bike is coming......has not seen the light of day for years. it is a killer !! look out,can't wait.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  17. i am kicking one as we speak

18. bobfromnj

bobfromnj
    from nj

No problem matthew garage hows that 56 wagon I sold you

19. Hey brother Tom. The sales lady is out till Monday and I'm awaiting her call for a better deal. It is a nice hotel, but 200 is nuts!
    It may be under new managment since I last sent people towards it. It has just been redone, so they could have jacked it up.

There are a ton of places in the area. Use the Neptune zip code if you need to look into the area. Its 07753. I'm 5 minutes from the race.

20. Oh man exciting!

Don't forget to send me pics and stats on anything that you want to RACE!!! I have to register all the entries and document it all for our programs. Drivers, full name etc.

So far, everything is prewar.

21. i will keep you posted and thanks

22. This is gonna be so cool! I can't wait to see the coverage.

23. This just in!!!

So if you think I'm a guy that just throws shit against the wall to see what sticks, you are RIGHT!!!

I just got off the phone with an old friend. He travels the world as an announcer for the NHRA and I think works with ESPN if Im not mistaken. He just so happens to be home the date of the race and will call the race from our SCTA style tower. Wahooooo!!!!

Next, more news with Gary Gnu!

24. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Louis B he is the stat guy for ESPN for NHRA events. He stated his announcing at Old Bridge Twp Raceway park back in the 80's ..he rocks<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

25. Damn, that was quick! Lewis is a great guy. Great photographer too.

Lewis bought my parents house when I was about 15. It was built by my family, my great grandfather and his brothers.

We later met each other again in Asbury years later and have stayed in touch. I had always wanted to work with him on my Motor Speedway deal, but he was always out of town. Excited to have an old friend work with us on this. It also make it all a little more legit! Well, a lot more legit!!!

26. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Hotel booked. A bunch of us coming from Ct. Looks to be a killer time.

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so, regarding hotels, where is the Berkeley in relation to the race track? it's out of our price range too, but we'd love something really close by. something where you can see the cars on the beach appear as you walk down in the morning. you know, all we want is perfect. and cheap...haha

but maybe, since it's the middle of october, they'll give us a group rate as the official host hotel or something like that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  28. Monday I'll have word on the price. It is right there, and you can see the beach. Also crawl to bed from the pre-party safely. It is almost worth it if I can get them down. Off season toom your right!

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

cool. I'll just keep my head down and plug away at finishing the Silver City Special. You have this figured out...:)

30. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Mel, just hang a few hammocks in the shop!! hahaha