Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Exploder rear in a 57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PaRatRod, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

All 8.8 are c clipped. Although the 31 spline is the same dimensions are the same between the 8.8 and 9". C Clip eliminators are only made for the Mustang rear with 28 spline axles. The 31 spline axles are too big in diameter. Best bet would be 9" big bearing ends.

One other thing depending on which driveshaft you use, the explorer driveshaft yolk is a smaller diameter than the f-150 yolk. The pinion flanges use the same pattern but it was easier to keep the same width of the u joint I was using with the wider f-150 driveshaft yolk.

2. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Great idea! I will be doing the same.

Thanks!

Jim

3. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Excellent point - one less thing to worry about.

4. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

did the same swap on a 58 dodge , worked perfect. the spare could be fixed with a double bolt pattern wheel .

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...especially when running 8.20 X 15s on the Ford wheels, and 6.40 X 15s on the Chevys! (like you're gonna 'rotate' 'em...)

6. BULLFROGG

BULLFROGG
    from KY

Yes they are all c clipped but you can buy nine inch ends or c clip eleminator kits for any axle. I had them on a fox rear with 33 spline axles.. I will say the eleminator kits leak tho...
    I now have a disc 94-95 stang rear in a fox with strange 31 spline axles and a stock explorer diff. Leave the line at 6k with slicks and been 11.15 and should go tens in cooler weather.. Bottom line these 8.8 are tough..