Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 motor mount Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drw47, Aug 10, 2012.

1. drw47

drw47

Guys, I am putting a 72 Mustang 302 in my '29 Whippet frame. Am building the mount brackets and need to know what the center to center (left side to right side of the frame) distance is of the mounting brackets on those Mustangs. I am trying to measure the mounts , installed on the engine, but cant get a straight across measurement. Does anyone have that measurement or have a early V8 mustang without the engine in it ??? Thanks

2. Wouldn't it make more sense to bolt the motor mounts to the motor, lower it into place, set the height and angle and then build the brackets to match?

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto.

4TTRUK

4. kamal

kamal
    from UK

am trying to measure the mounts , installed on the engine, but cant get a straight across measurement. Does anyone have that measurement or have a early V8 mustang without the engine in it.we can snap shot of all auto motive that are best for us.

ncr books

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Very easy. Bolt on your motor mounts, then hang a plumb bob down off of each hole where the mount goes to the frame, then measure the distance between the strings with your tape measure below the pan.

Don

Here, this picture may explain what I mean. Sorry for the crooked lines, too much coffee today.:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I just typed up the same thing Don and deleted it after posting.

7. squirrel

squirrel

or get a piece of heavy cardboard and cut a big notch in it, put it on the engine and mark the mount holes, and measure with a ruler.

8. drw47

drw47

Will hang the strings and get the numbers ! Thanks everyone. I have the brackets made and clamped to the frame with the engine weight on it. Just concerned about what might change when I pull the engine off the mount brackets, to do the welding. Be good to have a number! Thanks again!

9. tjm73

tjm73

If you're worried make a jig to hold them in the location they need to be after welding is complete.

10. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Not sure if the 289 and the 302 are the same measurements for mount thru bolts.
    My engine mount brackets were bolted to the engine, lowered into place, tacked and finish welded. Now I am relocating my engine foward a bit due to a firewall redesign. The center to center of the mount bolts is exactly 15.75". Measured with engine out. The bolts are a thumb press into place, so this number is perfect. Hope this helps.

11. 2012 Speedway catalog shows a SB Ford crossmember with 17" between mount holes, could there be different spacing with different mounts? Better off to measure what you have.