Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I re-use a rope seal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam F, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Adam F

Adam F

I am going to drop the sump of my Flathead motor. I am just wondering if I can re-use the rear rope seal or if I will have to replace once I drop the sump?

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

3. replace it. HRP

4. Do you put on dirty underwear after you take a shower (for those of us who DO wear underwear..)?

Bob

5. bantam

bantam

I made that mistake - once. 15 years ago I did a lower end rebuild on a flathead. First time I ever worked on motor, let alone a flathead. Didn't think to purchase a new rope seal so i re-used the one I had because I wanted to finish and put the motor back in the car. Leaked a little every damn day. I still kick myself for that mistake.

6. striper

striper

Just going in for a look?

7. skwurl

skwurl

Probably not a good idea.

8. No, they shrink with age . When you find one if its dried out soak it in oil before installing seal.

9. I just turn mine inside out. :D I never reuse toilet paper though, one should just use it once and throw it away.

If I lived in the country and had to be to work in the morning I probably would not hitch hike to town to get a new rope seal, but if I had access to a new rope seal I would replace it while I had the pan off. So I suppose it depends on your situation.

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

beaner, i cant get that damn picture out of my head!!! turnin them inside out.... bad pic brother just a bad pic...lol. on the subject of rope seal. which do you prefer spending a few dollars now or spend time to pull pan and doing it right on the second go-round. might not leak then again it might just pour. thats a gamble i wouldnt want to take.

11. Last time I went for a physical my doctor said, "you are still smoking aren't you." I said, "how do you know Doc." He said. "You got nicotine stains in your shorts." I'll fix him I ain't wearin' no short next time. :D:D:D

Ha cha cha cha, I got a million of 'em. (Jimmy Durante)

12. Jokester

Jokester

If one is available I'd replace it.

In an emergency with none available I'd "swell" the existing rope seal by driving a stiff piece of wire into it or under it.

my 2¢.

.bjb

13. Inside out is good and you can rotate them 180* to get another cycle out of 'em.

Bob

14. 73RR

73RR

I hope that you're not talking about the tp......:p

15. Adam F

Adam F

O.k. I'll give it a wash before I re-install it then :)

Pete, just going to drop the pan, give it a good clean, inspect the pump screen and replace the front seal with a one piece. I have the one piece seal and have trial fitted it into a spare front cover that I have here -looks like a good fit. I am really just trying to fix the front seal as the oil blowing back is making the whole undercarriage oily!

Adam

16. striper

striper

Hmmm. I think you need 2 seals to do the job.

17. Adam F

Adam F

Yeah, I will order the seals when I get new pan gaskets.