Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to find a title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48fleetmaster, Aug 9, 2012.

1. 48fleetmaster

48fleetmaster

Hello and thanks for trying to help! I have the chance to buy 2- Model A coupe bodies. We are in the very beginning of the deal and to be totaly honest, I am not sure if the bodies have titles yet. The cars are local, but the owner is a older man who lives 3 hours away from where he has the cars stored. In a email the man wanted me to make a offer. I do know if I have to buy titles, I do not know where to start or how much they cost. Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

48 Fleetmaster

2. zgears

zgears

I just did a bonded title. Cost $80 more than a normal title transfer, I got a clear title in 4 weeks. Don't wait till the car is done to get the title, in case there is a tax issue. Also, the vin and title usually go with the frame.

3. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Well I hope you get a title with them,I know for a fact they are hard to find as I've been looking for a couple of years there's some for crazy ripoff prices.
    Every state is different but I recently read here & you can do a search that MI isn't to bad to get one.

4. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as not waiting 'til the car is built...

Michigan recently changed the rules, and you may need to have the car finished first, so they can do an inspection. I used to have no problem getting them to provide a new title for my projects...just have the nice police officer come by and check the vin tag...fill out the forms...send 'em in, and a title would come in the mail in a couple of weeks. But during my latest attempt at getting one for my '29 roadster body/frame the lady said it would have to be running and driving with all safety features installed. Wipers, turn signals, etc. Granted, my other projects were not so taken apart, but I do believe she said the requirements recently changed. Good luck.

6. If he had them in his name at one time he should be able to apply for a lost title and save everyone a lot of work. Of course offer more money if he is willing to get the title,.

Charlie Stephens

7. Bob Abrew

Bob Abrew
    BANNED

The frames will have a vin number in front of the cowl mounts on the drivers side and you can run those numbers to make sure they are clear. After that you should be able to get them registered. Also if he ever had the cars in his name you can file for lost a lost pink slip. Charlie has the right idea, if you have to a little more money does a lot of talking. Good Luck.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am pretty sure that on Model A's the number is stamped behind the cowl mount, not visible unless the body is lifted off the frame. Later model Fords had the serial number as stated.....in front of the cowl mount.

Ray

9. Bart78

Bart78

If its the same there as here you dont want it finished to get a bonded title. Here you have to have it appraised and insured for one and a half times the value to get it bonded.

10. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I have the opposite problem title and no coupe.

11. He said he's buying 2 bodies. so the location of the frame number is sort of moot

12. Bart78

Bart78

Buy them and don't worry about it till you want to so something with one. Be on the lookout for some to buy.