Register now to get rid of these ads!

if you win the give away car at L'VILLE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so did any of y'all win it?

2. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

And we're sure it's the lowest bidder?

3. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

4. n847

n847

Guys its a give away car! Would you rather they went out and put 100k in the car to give it away so you could bitch about the cost of the taxes!

5. x2!

6. metal man

metal man

All wrong. There are so many bullshit stories like this going around,people are afraid to win a hot rod!

My father won an NSRA give away car,and the process of how it is valued has not changed since the first give away car. It's real simple guys...the car's value is determined by one thing, and that is what NSRA gave to the builder of the car. Boothspace,advertising in Streetscene,that's it.

NO PARTS, NO LABOR. That stuff is all donated.You get a 1099,and it is very reasonable, since the value is based SOLELY on what NSRA gave to the builder as advertising.

Dad is just a collision repair body guy, they aren't rich...and he was easily able to afford the taxes. We have over 130,000 miles on that car now(built by Lobeck's).

7. metal man

metal man

And there is no "lowest bidder". There are no bidders at all, sheesh!

8. metal man

metal man

By the way, I know all this not just because of my dad's experience, but because we were fortunate enough to be good friends with the late,great Jake Moran. Jake would tell you the honest truth about anything you asked him...and this subject came up a lot because of all the bullshit stories people like to repeat.

And to answer the OP's other question, you do not get a title with the car. You're on your own there. They just have some papers for you to sign saying it is no fault of theirs if the thing falls apart and kills someone, and send you out the door.

Dad just happened to already have a clear 1934 Ohio title, so it was easy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  9. metal man

metal man

I talked to the fella that won it. He's a white haired guy from Southern Ohio, who had 2 or 3 other cars there. I never thought to ask if he's a HAMBer.

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

It depends on your state, but most likely you will pay the taxes.

As for lowest bidder, I can't speak for NSRA, but Goodguys doesn't bid their giveaway cars out. Builders ask to build them and companies want to donate parts.

11. metal man

metal man

NSRA is the same.

12. demmals7ytriht

demmals7ytriht
    from Speer lane

Income tax, sales tax, state tax, this tax that tax... The big guy only ask for 10%.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

What was that specifically about the winner having a car registered to him and on the premises (in the 'show'?) otherwise not eligible?

In other words, not just a 'walk-in'. Just asking...it's been years since I attended a goodguys event.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Because the NSRA pads their numbers with LOTS of people who register cars, but don't have or bring them because it's cheaper than paying spectator prices.

That's how they claim to have 12,000 cars in a place that Goodguys fills to the brim with 6,300.

15. bonesy

bonesy

Wow. Learn something new everyday.

16. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"My father won an NSRA give away car,and the process of how it is valued has not changed since the first give away car. It's real simple guys...the car's value is determined by one thing, and that is what NSRA gave to the builder of the car. Boothspace,advertising in Streetscene,that's it.

NO PARTS, NO LABOR. That stuff is all donated.You get a 1099,and it is very reasonable, since the value is based SOLELY on what NSRA gave to the builder as advertising.

Dad is just a collision repair body guy, they aren't rich...and he was easily able to afford the taxes. We have over 130,000 miles on that car now(built by Lobeck's).[/QUOTE]

Metalmanwas that the orange 34 roadster? neat car

17. metal man

metal man

Yes, that's it. It has been put to good use!

18. yeah Mike, at the NSRA event, in order to be eligible to win the give away car, you have to not only be registered for the show and present at the drawing itself, but you have to actually have a car that you own at the show on the premises at the time that they draw your number. this has been their rule for many many years and there have been several times over the years that folks had their number drawn that were present at the drawing that when they checked, they didn't have a car at the show and so lost out on the giveaway car.

as stated in a couple posts following your question, there are often a good number of folks that register for these events that don't show up with a vehicle for the show. in an effort to encourage them to actually bring their cars to the show, they put this rule in place for the give away car that you must actually have your car on the premises at the time of the drawing.

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Won this a while back at NSRA. Sold it 2 yrs after.

The (free) car with taxes, title and repair to get it on the road cost about 10,000.
    I'd do this every year considering my selling price.
    If I had to do it again I should have sold it that weekend with the offers on the table, But I had to take it home and play with my new toy.

[​IMG]