Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

Hi I hope there are still enough old timers that still read that can help me with my Jr Stock questions so here goes. Back in the hay day was a blowproof bellhousing required and if so what brand was most common the old cast steel [ wedge,ansen ] or lakewood ? I hope someone can help it is a shame this site has lost its following it is a wealth of information. Thank You

2. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Back when I first started you made your own scattershield out of 1/4 inch steel. I dont know what year the blow proof bellhousings came out but I did have a 427/425 ford motor out of a 63 1/2 Galaxie lightweight that had a factory Ansen blow proof bellhousing on it. I dont believe it would be legal now though. I also lost a clutch in that motor in a 57 Ford and it contained the blast

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  3. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If my memory is correct from early sixties, scattershields required only on SBC engines with solid lifters. Ansen blow-proof bellhousings were popular, not sure they would be accepted by NHRA today.

4. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

Thank You The 64 Galaxie 427/410 I had an Ansen Alum bell. The 57 chevy sedan delivery I have now is an old jr stock and i am just trying to make it period correct it was raced in the late 60s in K/S 270/283 it will be used as a street car now so it dose not need to be aproved any more Thanks Again everyones help Keith

5. Falconred

Falconred

We ran "cheating 4 barrell" back in the early sixties with a 365 inch small block chevy and used a stock bell housing with a 1/4" or 3/8" steel hand made scatter shield. First scattershields for small block Fords the I remember were for the '65 and up blocks.

6. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

I Have an old Ansen blow proof, in my 57 150, on the bottom of it is NHRA approved, later someone blew a clutch and his Ansen exploded, NHRA disapproved quick.

7. John Barkley's 68 Winternationals winning 57 Chevy was at NSRA Nats in the Cragar Booth
    [​IMG]

8. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but former Junior Stock racer Sam Shinabery passed away Saturday July 31st. Below is a link to his obituary.

http://www.decaturdailydemocrat.com/content/samuel-e-shinabery

I'm greatly honored to have been a friend, and student, of Sam's. He was smart, inventive and generous with his knowledge. And how he taught his students at Ivy Tech and ITT may have been even more important than what he taught them. Even away from school, if you spent a half hour around Sam you'd likely learn something if you just paid attention.

Hoping that good air and a sticky track await you Sam.

9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I saw the car at the show. It looked pretty good except that the one piece California front bumper had been replaced with a fiberglass one.

10. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I ran an RC bellhousing. You could change the clutch by removing the bottom part. Joe Allread ran a Lakewood.

11. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

Thanks Everyone for all the help. I hope this can keep going there is to much history out there yet for it to go away everyone keep up the good work. Keith

12. honestly, there are a lot of things that have been changed, it has the wrong interior (car was a 210, has a bel Air interior now) crate 350, 700R4, but at least it still looks the part. John was pretty tickled and surprised to see it, he didn't know they were bringing it.

13. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

The new Junior Stock book by Doug Boyce is due to hit the book stores in one week. And can be pre-ordered now.

Attached Files:

14. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Another former JR Stocker driver has passed.Bobby Dee Myers from il. who owned the "Illinois Shaker" 1957 Chevrolet for a while, died on June 18th from complications of a stroke.Bobby once told me he bought a Jenkins motor back in the day,and it cost him about a years salary!!He went on to build and drive a series of Chevelle Super Stockers,and later in his career he had a 71 Buick Stocker wagon that he won numerous class titles,and set a few National Records with.He later was the Head Tech guy for the NMCA,worked for Bullitt Cams,and he and his wife were Road Managers for Jerry Lee Lewis.Quite a character,and fun to be around at the race track.RIP Bobby

15. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

very cool pic of TENSION car. i grew up across the street from donny. there were actually 2 post cars, the first being destroyed in a pit accident, the one pictured i believe is the second car.

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

17. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thats quite a resume. A full life indeed. God be with him.

18. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I've upset a few on this thread before with my comments about certain cars so i'll tone it down.

That car is F___ING COOL. It has all the right looks.

19. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

20. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

Wow, what a great neighbour to have had. Any pics ?

When I was growing up, 1 neighbour had a mk1 Ford Lotus Cortina & another an old US black n white cop car. Tho cant remember what it was, sowed a seed for big ol' black n whites.

21. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Thanks for posting the picture of the" Illinois Shaker"It was first owned and driven by Phil Cooper of Champaign,Il.,and later by Bobby Dee Myers of Matoon,il.I remember Bobby Dee racing it at Motion Raceway near Decatur,il.back in the early 70s.He would make a dry hop behind the line,get out run around to the passenger side ,adjust the nut on the traction bar,jump back in and try it again.He was a hard working racer who was always trying the "trick of the week".He and his partner Don Myler of Champaign ,il. had one of the first crank triggered ignitions i ever saw back in the late 70s.

22. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Any body have any info on the 1967 winternationals winnning nova,"too costly"-rogers tire service-vazquez,ect.
    Where is vazquez now????
    Any info,pix,ect. Would be great.:)

23. biscaynes

biscaynes

another, '68 indy i believe, john barkley driving....

[​IMG]

24. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Does anyone here know the whereabouts of the Illinois Shaker now?

John

25. t.canter

t.canter

Hey cousin (I think),
    Could you put up a pic of the '64 the way it was when you had it?(or pm it to me) I think I saw it in early 86?
    thanks
    Tim C

26. Here's what a Ca. bumper looks like;
    I have one for sale, but you have to go on EBay and buy the whole car with it.
    [​IMG]

27. jkane

jkane

I talked to Jim Cornelius tonight and he told me my Jr. Stocker was on the HAMB. Thanks Tom McCrea!!
    John Burkholder left Delaware in 1964 after he got out of the Army. He started B&B Performance Sales while working for his uncle at Horstman MFG. Horstman made go cart parts and John took the company to another level. While there he started making hardcore racing parts. He hired me in 1973, when I graduated from college, to become his sales manager. I moved from Delaware to California in 1973 and back to Delaware in 1974.
    While still in college I flew to California and John and I towed his 69 Z 28 Camaro back to Indy for the Nationals in 1970. We towed the race car using Gil Horstman's BB El Camino and traveled alot on Route 66. Pretty cool deal for a kid from Delaware.
    When we got to Indy I remember meeting "The Valley Boys". Man did we have fun!!
    In 1982 John and I partnered to form B&B Performance Products in Hockessin,DE. B&B "East" was closed in 1996. All of the "no name", smooth top, polished valve covers floating around now were first designed and made by John and B&B. He was a very smart engine man and racing parts designer.

28. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

California Bumper or Canadian one piece Bumper ?

29. Bob, it's got the seamless " Ca." frame which was much more prevalent on West Coast cars. That, and the bumper pictured ,leads me to believe it's a Ca. car.. Plus it still has floorboards and a trunk floor in it..I doubt it's from Canada. Never heard of a Canada one piece bumper.

30. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

No seamless frames in Canada but most of our cars had one piece bumpers. I took a pair of 55 California (Canadian) Bumpers to a friend in Ga. and he was excited about them. My 56 has them front and rear. I sold a 57 front just last year.

Bob