Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. Also......^^^^ I love the top picture.The back row with Jesse's car and Busters Shoebox..etc.That back row just flatout MURDERS !! Also in case if anyone was ever wondering if they should run spotlights on a traditional custom......just look hard at that Thriftys show parking lot.Every single custom there had spotlights.Im not saying every car nowdays should have em but if you like customs from this great era.......

2. and I bet only 1 or 2 of them have dummies. ;)

Too bad there are no shows like that these days.....
    No ratrods, No belly floppers, No airbags, in site!

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

Now what spots were more fitting on sleds?

I know Appletons but what about Unity spots? Im bringing this up because I got a pair of old crest Unity spots for my 51 merc and they seem to be on the small side but I have never handled an Appleton before to know any better.

4. Probably varied around the country and I am sure some guys probably ran unity's but if you are looking at any of the well know customs from the time they used Appleton 552's almost exclusively. There are a few of the early builds that used the Appleton 112's as well.

5. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

probably less than that as dummies spots were supposed to have been invented later than that ( around 57 iirc) :D

6. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I agree with you one hundred percent...

7. jfrolka

jfrolka

Whats the size of an Appleton 552, and 112?

8. And not a drip rail to be seen...

9. Colville

Colville

The Oldsmobile in the middle of the show in this photo. Looks to be a '53 hard top, what is that rear trim? '53 Ford? Just wondering, I love this shot.

[​IMG]

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There's a '52 Ford hardtop in the middle of the photo. It has Olds hubcaps, and it looks like it might have Olds taillights. Is that the car you're talking about?

There is a chopped Olds hardtop on the right hand side of the photo, 5th back from the bottom, but the side trim isn't visible so I don't think you were referring to that one.

11. Colville

Colville

Yes you are exactly right. I knew the back window and the rear roof corners looked different than an olds. Doh! It does have olds tail lights though. Ok never mind my fault. I knew it was Ford and Olds parts haha, close.

12. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Here are some shots of mine ImageUploadedByTJJ1344464980.543139.jpg

13. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

14. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I'm running a set of Appleton 112's on it.

15. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

^^^ nice ^^^

I think some of you guys forget that not everyone who is into customs is on the HAMB. I have a few older friends who have some very nice early cars that would be fitting to this thread. The difference is they build cars for themselves or the close knit group that they hang with, not to put on the HAMB looking for your approval.

16. Exactly. But you catch alot of shit now a days if you shave your drip rails.

17. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Why don't you take some pics of their kustom cars that fit this thread and put it on here? Would love to see more of this style from just about anywhere in the world. :)

When it comes to "approval", I guess you mean that the style of the car actually fits the whole idea of the thread? To me, that is not approval. It is to know what style your car has and to respect the group of people that cares about what the thread is about. If you don't know so much about the style of your car, then you could ask someone who knows.

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Here's a few from A-Bombers Old Style Weekend last weekend. Pics by RPW.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Awesome pictures!!

Thanks J.B.

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

These are both great looking cars. They are both un-typical fastback chops, and both work very well.

21. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Absolutely.Great to see the Olds painted.I would love to see more of both cars.Also,really cool to see how much more real the ex-Lee Lucero Mercury looks with correct stance.Palle takes good care of it.

Thanks for posting pics Jack.

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Me too. The Olds appears to be a '48 98 fastback, which is a relatively rare car in any form. Am I correct in identifying it?

23. blackout

blackout

24. Palles 51 just flat out murders!

Thanks for the pics J.B. it sure is great to see some sleds.

25. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

The Olds belongs to Magnus Karlsson and is a '49.It had different taillights before and also a scoop above the rear window.Looks like Magnus K. went for an earlier look which I definitely prefer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nobody took more pics of both cars ?

26. Rikster

Rikster

Wolf took these photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. These fastbacks are just killer lookin,thanks for posting.

This show sure does look different then shows around here,I wish I could go to this one.It looks like a great time.

28. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

JB, the comment wasn't meant to be disrespectful. I LOVE the thread and the era of cars in it. It was regarding the comments earlier in the thread that people don't care about being era correct. It's simply not true. Niether here nor there. The cars I know of are owned by old timers and they really don't have any interrest in sharing them. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is. Let the photo's continue and I'll post pics as soon as I can get some.

By approval I meant they don't give a rats ass what someone on the HAMB or anywhere else has to say about their car. PERIOD

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, Frenz and Rik. Now I see that BOTH cars are Oldsmobiles; I had first thought that the green one was a Chevy. I guess that's Magnus' car, and I agree; the rear end with the Pontiac taillights is better.

It was the black car that I had thought was a '48 98, because of the small taillights. Guess not.

30. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweeeet!