Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screw dynamat. Peel and seel great sound dampening material....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I think perhaps the difference is asphalt vs. butyl adhesive. Butyl costs more but resists heat better.

2. sent you a pm.:D

3. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I picked up some of the non adhesive foil and bubble insulation from lowes. I also grabbed a can of 3M spray adhesive, the good stuff, which works great.
    One of the small rolls was enough for my roof and half of my floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 3M spray works great. It sprays like a spider web and fans out constantly. I was very impressed with how well it works. I am thinking about doing a second layer to help mainly with sound.

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am testing the Lowes, Peel and Seal, in my 48 truck. I installed a roll of it this morning. This is good weather to see if it helps with the heat and if it will omit an odor. It was a little over $16 and a similiar amount of Dynamat is about $58 from Yogi's.

John

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

let us know how the testing goes. thanks

6. bustingear

bustingear

They don't sell the peel and seal crap anymore at the big home stores
    Further the duct wrap that they do sell does not attach well
    The cement does not stick on the outer walls of the doors

7. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Bought Peel and Seal at Lowes last month, worked as expected and stuck to rubberized undercoat!

8. slammed

slammed

Is that in your region? What is the equivalent that they do sell? And what was the name of the duct work material that did not stick?

9. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This what it looks like in the truck. It seemed to stick well. I am anxious to see if it helps and how it holds up.

Also in this picture is the Z gate I made for my column shifter. Last time I ran the truck I shifter from low directly to drive 3 times. I had to idiot proof my shifter.

John

Attached Files:

10. RATCAD

RATCAD

well guys, after reading this thread, i thought i might do some investigating, and ive found here in australia, we have the exact peel n seal, but the fatmat on ebay works out a little cheaper...., so my question is...... whats better, if the price was the same, fatmat or peel n seal????:confused:

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Went to a local meet this weekend, was the first test drive with the peel and seal ( on the floor only so far ) I can honestly tell you the trans tunnel and fire wall were noticability cooler and it was alot quieter inside , a very big difference, so much so I found a few new rattles to fix. I will be covering the doors and trunk soon aswell as the roof depending on if I cut it or not.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

12. Blake84

Blake84

Really glad I posted this.....seems like people are saving money and having great results like i did. Now if you could paypal me $2.00 for preventing you from being bent over by dynomat that would be great........HAHA just kidding......glad its working out. It does make a huge difference

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Note to self: Call broker and tell him to BUY whoever makes "Peel & Seal"

14. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Is there any sticky foil-backed roof underlayment, roof repair, motor home sealer etc. available at your local home improvement store? If it smells like tar it will probably melt in the heat of a closed car, if not it should probably work.

15. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I think the key to using the peel n seal stuff is getting the area good and clean. Prep work wil do all the wonders for keeping it sticky. I know from experience anything that you peel and stick needs a clean surface. Though rather it sticks better to a primer surface or painted I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Now I just had a thought most or if not all roofs when they are getting redone aren't the cleanest in the world but I would still imagine it would help.

16. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Heres a follow up on my earlier post about the "Quick Roof" which Home Depot sells. We installed it in my fathers 58 Buick last week. Seems very similar to the "Peel and Seal". Very easy to install and what a difference in sounds and heat! This stuff works great! We drove to a show that was 2 hours away in the 95 degree heat, and the floor was considerably cooler than without and it was very quiet. No tar smell either. I would highly recommend this stuff! Thanks Blake84 for the tip!

17. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

be sure and tape the seams.I put some in my studebaker and the black stuff ( tar or whatever) went trough my carpet and stained it,should be ok with some duck tape to seal it.

18. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

used the fat matt shit and its awesome and cheap!!!!!! did the whole van !! for 200 bucks!

19. gonmad

gonmad

I don't know what everyone is so worried about the tar smell for?! I mean really, we ain't driving Lexus'!!! LOL! I would guess that most of our crap on here smells like oil, fuel and exhaust anyway, and if the ride don't, then we do!! LOL! The slight (if any) tar smell will blend in just fine!

(says the roofer!!)

20. KIRK

KIRK

I put Peel and Seel on the floor of my 31 tudor last week. Then put in new carpet. Finally stopped raining Saturday and I took it for a ride. Definately quieter and cooler. Easy to work with and cheap. I just hope I am not the one that has to take it out some day.

21. RatPin

RatPin

I'm going to use Raamat in my tuck when the time comes. I've used it on numorous other projects and think it's definitely worth a little more then the tar based peel and seal. But if you are limited by expense p&s is not a bad way to go. I just hate the fact that it only comes in 6" strips. Just more chance of the tar heating up and leaking through.

I also layed down lizard skin sound control and ceramic coating. Yes I will be laying down butyl raamat over that too. I'm excited to see how quiet it gets.

22. RATCAD

RATCAD

well by the looks of it, either peel n seal or fatmatt is gunna be a good substitute for expenso-mat, err dyna-mat......., thanks blake for this thread, hope all works out well with your car, stay with it, remember the cream....... WILL RISE TO THE TOP....., man thats a cool ride!!

23. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks man!!!!

24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just in case anyone missed my earlier post this is what you want to tape the seams.You get it at Lowes it is called Multi-Purpose Foil Tape 322 HVAC it is USA made by Nashua Tape Products the sku on the bar code is 42366 99983 if you can't find it they can locate it by the sku at customer service.:cool:

25. Hello....................it's called supply & demand. When we start using something else other than DynOmat, DynOmat will come down in price. Again, whatever the market will bare...................................

26. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

I thinks that's why I went with the reflectix bubble wrap and the foil tape.
    I could just hear the next guy swearing at me if I coated the cab in tar...

27. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

I used 1 roll of this on the cab floor of the pickup in the avitar. Much quieter and cooler. Hard to beat for $18.50 a roll.

28. Blake84

Blake84

I dont think they will ever come down in price......think of how many customers would be pissed that already paid the premium...

29. RatPin

RatPin

This is a pretty interesting comparison of some of the more popular products out there.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XWBzhEUG-LI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. eliguzman

eliguzman

this stuff is awesome! did my whole 55 in it. Now we better stop talking about it before lowes finds out and doubles the price...LOL