Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 for a Big block shops recommedations where to buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Aug 7, 2012.

1. flatoz

flatoz

I'm thinking of going with a 700R4 behind my bigblock.

Now I have next to no experience with GM stuff and the same experience with auto's.

I was looking at bowtie OD as they have had a few good words said about them in threads, but I have also found a few bad ones too. I expect that happens for any business.

I just wanted to ask about other builders that can build a 700R4 to take 350-400HP and 500ft lb torque. Car is street driven, not bashed on ( thats what my roadster for) and will do duty as a family holiday cruiser.

cars about 4000lbs so heavy enough.

As for 200R4 , I have read people saying gear ratio wise they are better between 1-2 but their not a trans thats known in Australia, where the 700R4 is, as we got them on local GM stuff, so would prefer to stick with that for longevity and if there are any issues down the track.

I spoke to Bowtie yesterday and basically 2k delivered to my shipper for a stage 3 trans and all the other bits needed to put it in the car. Now its not cheap, and really what i'm chasing is getting what I paid for, I'm happy to spend the money, I just want to make sure I'm getting the trans from the right shop.

So anyone used bowtie to build a trans for their BB and how is it?

Any other shop recommedations to speak to?

I have looked on the Auction site, theres a few there, but how the hell do you know?!?

cheers.

2. elricho

elricho

Try Ash at Techtrans in Hoppers Crossing-9360 9221.
    He has just built the 700r4 for my merc,and really seems to know his stuff.
    Have you got a box yet Corey??
    JT imports sells cores pretty cheap if you need one??

3. flatoz

flatoz

To be honest,
    Given we don't have many Big blocks here I'm wary of anyone local being able to build a trans to handle the torque. I know locals can build trans to handle small blocks and small blocks with big HP, but its the torque that will kill this trans and my motor will have goobs of torque from low in the rpm range.

I just don't wish to be a guinea pig for someone...

I have been looking local , thanks Rich, but haven't heard the words I want to yet...

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

FLATOZ hello from ireland i ordered a 700r4 from GEARSTAR .found them good to deal with.allways answered the phone and didnt have a problem calling ireland on the phone.only problem i had was they sent me a plastic torque converter cover it didnt fit great.i ordered a stage 2.5 box to suit a 383 .my info is these are build in 4x4 castings which have thicker wall and had a alloy cover.took a while but i eventually tracked one down.if you need a cover i can track down where i bought it.i cant comment on performance or reliability i havnt run it yet but should be running soon .they shipped by airfreighe in a strong box i collected it from the airport in a1 condition .over n out chris

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

inspection cover came from BOWTIE OVERDRIVES PART#15522125 $60

6. Here's something to consider.............

Contact PerformaBuilt: http://www.performabuilt.com/

They build a vaccum modulated 4L60e. The 4L60e is an electronicly controlled version on the 700R4 however the vaccum modulated PerformaBuilt version uses NO electronics.

If you are going for the 700R4 (or any GM overdrive) I would strongly suggest NOT to get one from Bowtie Overdrive or Mad Dog.... piss poor quality issues. What you will want is an "MD8" or "K" case with a 30 spline input shaft.

As far as the 2004R goes.... check this link out and you deside: http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=426&SID=6

7. Larry T

Larry T

I think I'm gonna try Phoenix Transmission out of Weatherford, Texas. They're not the cheapest around, but I haven't heard of any problems with their products (funny how those two things usually go together). They have a website.

8. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

MAD DOG in Florida. Mine is great found them on the web. great service

9. I had a 700r4 from bow tie overdrives. It wasn't right. I ended up getting a local to me guy to build one for me; that way getting it put right if there were problems was just down the street from me. Bow Tie Overdrives was clear on the other side of the country.

...something to think about since you're on the other side of the world.

10. PerformaBuilt did my 700r4.Great guys to work with.Been in the car for 3 years and never misses a beat.

11. Larry T

Larry T

I installed a Mad Dog Turbo 400 for a customer. BAD leak around the front pump. Mad Dog fixed the transmission, but the customer had to eat the labor. I don't know about shipping.

12. Consider yourself lucky and go to Vegas because you are one of the few... the very few!

Do a search and you'll see. Oh and when you get to the point that you find out they use to operated under a different name and they were in Georgia, search that one too.

13. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

dive right in and build your own ??
    trans work needs lots of practice :)

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

15. flatoz

flatoz

This was for a big block?

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

No, only a 383 SBC. www.transmissioncenter.net test mule was BBC truck that did a lot of towing. I did a bit of research before I committed myself.

17. ugotpk

ugotpk

Bowtie Automatics in Hisperia, Ca. They know what they are doing. I have purchase 3 in the last year. Good stuff.

18. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Scott can build you a T-200 or a T-200-4R that will withstand most anything a "normal" big block can through at it.

http://www.scottmcclayengineering.com/

Now if you're talking a blown 1200hp combination just stick with a T-400.
    But a 500 or 600hp Chevy...then yea, Scotts trans., have been prooven over and over as a strong trans.
    He has a strong NHRA following for his T-200's (three speed version).

I have two of them, both -4R's, both with internal trans. brakes..

Mike

19. Okay, I just caught your peak projected horsepower and under 450 horse is not that much.

With that said, do you have any good transmission builders in your area? If you do they can easilly build you a 700R4 to handle 450-460 horse and you'll save yourself a boat load of money.

As I mentioned get yourself an "MD8" or "K" case, 30 spline, 700R4. Have your local builder do a rebuild using the red friction discs, a shift inprover kit (most any brand will do) and swap out the servo to a Corvette servo. Get yourself a good "lock-up" convertor with a stall speed of about 3000 rpm (I recommend a Hughes Performance) and you'll have a damn good transmission for your needs.

I have had these built by me for around $600.00 plus the convertor.

I also recommend using a new General Motors T.V. cable, not an aftermarket piece.

20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i got a k series case from GEARSTAR

21. The "K" case is better especially if used for racing but an "MD8" case would be just fine for lower horse applications and/or street use.

22. dad-bud

dad-bud

Don't be afraid to try a local guy who knows how to build trannies for drag racing.
    Drag motors make lots of torque too - even SBC's - sure they may make all those Nm's higher in the rev range than your BBC, but twist is still twist at 2000rpm or 6000rpm.
    The advantage of being able to talk to the guy, especially if they have been around for a long time and have a reputation to protect, is probably worth it.
    Given the cost of shipping a trans from the US, you'll probably go close to matching the extra cost of dealing in Oz.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Cheers.

23. Wowcars

Wowcars

I can't say enough about Phoenix transmission. We'd built several 500-600 hp engines and their 700R trans would take it all day long. Hole shots, drag racing, line locks, you name it. Avoid the 200R for anything with more than around 250-300hp. Everything inside them is smaller and/or weaker from GM. For the cost, a built 700 is my favorite.

24. I don't personally have experience with Phoenix Transmission but I know a guy with a big block powered Austin that has a 700R4 from Phoenix.

He loves 'em... all 6 times they replaced his tranny. :eek: :rolleyes:

25. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I have a 700r4 BTO built. SBC w/ about 500 hp (a modified ZZ430).
    lasted about a month. They re-did that trans 3 times- real POS. I had a local guy who builds race trans go through it & it's been flawless ever sense. Now my 55 Chevy has over 700 hp & I run an Art Carr Th350 heavily modified & a Gear Venders OD.
    If I was doing it over- I'd run a GV mated to either a TH350 ot TH400 in place of the 700r4

Run a big trans cooler!!!!

26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Them damn 700's have such a crappy gear ratio set in them.

GM fixed that with the 200 series trans. MUCH better all the way around..!
    1. Lighter thAn the 700.
    2. Better gear ratio spread thAn the 700.
    3. Less parasitic drag thAn the 700.
    4. Slightly smaller thAn the 700.
    5. When built by someone that knows the T-200-4R trans., can hold the same or more HP thAn the T-700-R4 trans.

Why would one even think of using a 700 today ?

Mike

27. These are true statements.

The 2004R IS lighter and smaller because the parts inside are smaller and lighter duty.

You can have a 2004R built to handle some desent horsepower for around $2000.00 - $2600.00 due to all the light duty parts "hard parts" needing to be replaced.

A 700R4 is basically a TH350 with an overdrive, that is cheaper to build and withstand high horsepower.

Why would anyone think of using a 2004R?

28. I agree........I posted a link here on the HAMB awhile back that showed a comparison of the internal components of the 700 and 200.... It says it all!
    http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=426&SID=6

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  29. Yea Moose I'll admit, I stole it and use it! :eek:

But it's sooo damn straight and to the point not to mention you don't even have to know how to read, just look at the pictures. :rolleyes:

And hell, you can't be everywhere all the time so I'm just here ta' help ya' out. :D

B.T.W.: I already posted it on here for ya'. ;)

30. HaHa... ya can't steal what I don't own....As long as we get the info out there....