Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Four observations on the NSRA Nats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Aug 4, 2012.

1. afaulk

afaulk

So you're saying compared to Good Guys, it's a good deal..... Sounds like Republicans and Democrats. Neither one is worth a popcorn fart!

2. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

I haven't been back since the change, so I will take everyone word. I do miss it!

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hey slammed, sorry you don't like Coy's C-5 wheels. How about posting pictures of your ride so we can all critique it. Bet we'll never see it. What I said about Prime Hogs was actually a compliment. Too bad you couldn't comprehend it. Besides I don't come on here to break balls. I come on here to contribute.
    Johnny Sweet X2.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  4. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

If nsra closes shop as well as goodguys shows where do we go to meet up once a year.
    think about it you built it to drive it right?
    How many people in your area have been out of your state?
    I've been to york since 75 and every columbus as well as louisville many times and at columbus see the same 6 people from my area.
    I guess 500 mi. is to far to go or there afraid there car won't make it!
    you have a year to get the cash you need to go,Things are tough but everyone needs a vacation after working all year!.

5. 41 C28

41 C28

About the "Geezer Carts"... Yes there were many of them and I'm guessing most of the people riding them were not handicapped .
    One should be required to show a disability plaque with the proper papers to rent them.
    If you can walk you should be happy to do so and not take it for granted.
    Being lazy is not a handicap.

6. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

" AMEN " very well explained!

7. river1

river1

there are A LOT of disabilities that have no outward sign. heart disease, diabetes, lots of cancers, so being a bit more sensitive might be warranted here

later jim

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I really can't understand the constant carping about the annual membership dues and/or the event participation fees. First of all, if you've got a hot rod of some sort you certainly are in no position to claim you are poverty stricken. In the second place, these events are very expensive to put on.

You show up at the gate, and with no more effort than it took to get there, you get to roam at will, observe to heart's content, learn about almost any vendor product you can imagine and newest innovations......attend a seminar if you have any interest in learning something...and on and on. You likely have more money tied up in new, unused hose clamps in your shop than you spend for the gate fee.

Constant unjustifed bitching has long since lost it's charm.........

Ray

9. 41 C28

41 C28

You are 100% right with my wife being one of those, she suffers with MS.
    However as I said there are a lot of able bodied lazy asses out there.
    Thats why I am sensitive to the subject.

10. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

I've been going since the 70s. I don't go like i used too. Wife don't like it that way.. Shes still up and running and loves it. The little red carts are looking better to me. 35 operations later AAAAHHH YES!! please tell us about the ladies. I've seen all the hotrods over the years. The ladies just never wear thin , for me to look at.hope all had a great weekend. "IDIDIT steering columns" is a friend of mine, since day one. I don't think he goes either; much as he once did.
    maybe next year bob

11. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

well,, there was this one tall black haired slightly tattooed beauty in a red tank top and shorts that took my heart...:eek: ,,too bad she had a boyfriend,,,oh yeah ,,and i have a wife..:eek: haha

12. henryj429

henryj429

I haven't been to Louisville since the 90s - just too far to go from Minnesota. Anyway - looking at the various pictures on the HAMB - I see buildings full of roped-off show cars. What's up with that? It never used to be that way. Drive in and feel the heat like everyone else!

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If not for the advances in cart technology alot of the guys who started all this wouldn't be able to attend. My best friend is 81, had a stroke some years ago, and still attends the swap meets we sold at for so many years. If not for his Rascal 4 wheel IFS cart he wouldn't know if he had outlived all his swap meet friends or not, not they him!

14. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

You could tell that attendance was down but still a lot of cool cars. It did seem to be more muscle cars than last year though. Vendor area seemed a little thinner than years past and the swap meet wasn't as big. Seeing old friends that I only see at the Nats makes it enjoyable. All in all I had a great time and looking forward to next year.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  15. metal man

metal man

Yes, and I think it is the subject of the closed "HAMB coupe" thread from a few years ago. It was absolutely junk, and was given away on here for free at one time.

16. metal man

metal man

Dad and I had a good time. The only bothersome thing to us was the shanty town of huge awnings taking up 6 parking spaces each, and most of them had about two cars parked under them and a few people in lawn chairs. It's out of hand.

For what it's worth, there were 9,884 cars registered (we all know not all of those were really there), and I noticed a lot of ugly 70's cars. Some were really nice,some were clapped out,shitty road iron....Had fun anyway,hanging out with my peeps.

17. metal man

metal man

Those are "builder showcases". NSRA allows a certain amount of them each year in the lobby of the big building. It's been going on for several years now.
    Invitation only.

18. Geezer carts...Reluctantly I have to I ride one when I'm anywhere oustide the house. It is definitely embarrassing. I'm only 55 but type 1 diabetes has torn into my feet, ankles, legs, so not al of us on handi-crap carts are old or lazy.

Pinstriping...I did NSRA events yrs ago...too much money to set-up and too many people telling you how to do your business.

19. At 9800+ Cars this year, it was definitely not down on attendance compared to the last few years. Was it as big as the Peak years? No, But have you noticed the price of gas and the general economy? Pretty stout showing I'd say.
    As a vendor I can say that the people who visited our booth (PerTronix. Patriot Exhaust. Doug's Headers) were in more of a buying mood then they have been. In fact it was our BEST show in 5 years or more!
    The Geezer carts were a constant topic of conversation around us. Although many are truly necessary and I would never deny anyone's use based on a true need, there were a ton of folks that really are just fat and lazy. In fact some of them were talking about it themselves, practically bragging! Maybe if some of those folks would get up and walk once in a while they wouldn't feel the need for the $75.00 a day rental and maybe become just a little healthier while they are at it. As one of the vendors next to me said - I bet the average weight here is pushing 300 lbs - ad that's the women! And speaking of the women, not sure what some of you guys were seeing, but man, we did have conversations about "thin" the pickins were for good looking girls! :D

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

met hotroddon above,nice meeting you man.
    cars,some really cool ones as always,but seemed to me more late models,stock jeeps,4wd elky.3/4 farm truck,buick 225 bout a 79 model,79 cutlass with 13 in wire wheels on it.looked at what i wanted to TRIED not to lok at the others.lol
    geezer carts: for the first time i thought about renting one.plantar facitias in both feet this year,very painfull, can hardly walk today !but the ribbing i would have took from friends would have been twice as bad.but if i have it next year the hell with it,lead,follow or get the hell outs my way,(is 55 a geezer?) geezer on a cart!!!!
    girls, there were some hot ones and well some not so much,but i exactly ain't settin the world on fire with looks myself,so all in all it was ok.
    i had a hell of a time no matter what it cost,i'll go back if i'm able to and have fun meet new friends,see some old ones,for the $$ i spent this weekend,it was well worth it.till next year my amigoes:cool:

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

hotroddon & B.A. King X2. We had a great time at this years Nats as always. Too bad some folks would complain about a free lunch.

B.A, I will be coming through Hartselle on Wednesday on the way back to Gods country, NW Florida. Hope I make it without incident.

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i'll be going to gulf shores next week, go figure. south bound lane on bridge still 1 lane. finished up north bound today. what time you think you'll be coming thru?

23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AHHH--Yes,---When driving there was what it was all about!!(sigh).

Attached Files:

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

the journey is the destination.i stole that somewhere on here!!! but i enjoy the trip as much as anything

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

B.A. I'll be in the Hartselle area about 0100 PM EST. Hope to get home about 5 hours later. After the Nats between the heat and all the walking I did, I'm looking forward to planting myself in a beach chair for a few days. Louisville flat out wore me out. Sorry I didn't meet you up there. I was there with the green and black wagon in my Avatar. What did you have up there?

26. WDO40

WDO40

I Saw it man it was rough, also the 32 shell for 1800.00:eek:

27. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I was more annoyed by the guys running open headers on junk motors that think theyre cool. I love hearing an old flat head with open pipes, but fairground gassers,etc that couldnt run a 12 if they fell off a cliff, come on. Dont get me wrong, I am a racer, love a stout engine barking, but I didnt hear one good open header motor all weekend.

28. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

The carts should be reserved for those who NEED them. Many young folks just cruising around on them due to laziness.

As for the 30 yr rule, the NSRA would much better served by cutting off participants at early to mid 60's. I think that would bring back some people who left due to the new rule and get rid of the garbage that is currently allowed in. There was an 81 Aries K car parked in the drive right outside the front doors of freedom hall by the fountain.

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

30. gfr220

gfr220

This was my first NSRA Nats to go to and I have motel reservations for next year already August 1st through 4th. I had a great time since this my first did not rent a cart but they sure looked good after 4 days of walking.Will go next year and probably take a car and I will probably buy 1 there if they have 1 there I am looking far.