Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a pair of 1959 Buicks...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChopTopJimmy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Not sure why I felt compelled to buy yet another project but this 1959 Buick 4 door hardtop just struck me as way kool.

04.jpg

08.jpg

06.jpg

09.jpg

Then I found this 1959 Buick 2 door post for a parts car... The 4 door is very solid but I need to check over the 2 door when I get it home. Might have to build it instead of the 4 door. What do you guys think?

01.jpg
    02.jpg

2. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

I love them big buicks! Build them both?;):D

3. 327Eric

327Eric

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Had a 2 door hardtop myself. Got two trophies at the same show. Fans choice and ugliest car at the same time............lol

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i love the look of the car.....so i decided to enjoy some youtube videos of the 59 Buick.

This video makes me sick!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_90txNpGvE&feature=related

The guy should have given it away to a 17 year old kid to play around with instead of sending it to the crusher!

6. 59 Buicks are great. Such a unique appearance, either one or both can make very cool cars.

7. '59s are just plain evil.

headlamps!
    fins!
    engine!
    and more!

perfect.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  8. I like the flat tops. use the door shells and quarters from the post to make a 2-door flat top hardtop....

9. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

59 buick = bucket list

10. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I was having a good day until i saw this...
    You ruined my day...
    I hate people that do that...
    Saved a '60 chevy last week on its way to the scrap yard. about ran the guy off the road getting him to stop.

I say fix the 2 door first, fix the 4 door later. Drive the wheels off both!

11. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I couldn't watch but @ 30 seconds of the video. Parts are worth more than scrap value.

12. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Well at least the OP is going to get one back on the road and if we're lucky 2 :) It was a good find

13. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

The 4 door looks like the one from Fast Times at Ridgemont High!

14. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

I think the 4 door will be first. Its in much better shape. If the 2 door was a hardtop I would like it more...

15. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

i would tend to agree you, even on a solid car there is a lot more that you ever expect to do.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Those cars have an angry look about them. So cool.

17. robertsregal

robertsregal

love those flat tops!!

18. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I was gonna put the 59 Buick in Ryans thread of Favorite Car of All-Time.... The styling of the fins and tail lights---- the whole rear of the cars is perfect, to me.....

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

There's a nice '59 or '60 flat top up the street from my office, just sitting in a back yard. I've long meant to go take a closer look.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Those look complete and solid enough to both be built-same color too! I wouldn't canibalize one for parts to build the other.

First, I'd decide which one I wanted to keep. Then once I could get it running/confirm the drivetrain was good, I'd get the other running/driveable and sell it off for a profit as seed money for the keeper project.

21. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Do the cleanest, most complete car first. Get it on the road and you will love it.

Here is one that I have been tinkering with. Bone stock so a bit OT but still way cool!

Attached Files:

22. Mojo

Mojo

If it were me, i'd keep the flat-top. But then, it's my dream car. Most 2drs are post cars it seems. You don't see flat-tops very often.

23. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

The 2 door doesn't have an engine or trans. However, I know the guy that removed them and he is willing to sell them to me reunite them with the car. I mainly needed the 2 door for the hood trim and front bumper. Someone cut the drivers side corner off the 4 door bumper. Probably after a fender bender...

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice score!! I really dig my olds flat top!!

[​IMG]

25. froghawk

froghawk

Good find. Actually, the LeSabre two-door sedan is a relatively rare car with 13,492 produced. The Electra four-door hardtop was the most produced car in the Electra series at 20,612.

Much as I love the flat tops, there something cool about a basic two-door sedan Buick, particularly with a stick shift.

26. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

It's too bad that replacement body panels aren't available for these. Gonna have to fab all of the needed patch panels...

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Two doors good, four doors bad! Do the two door first. Bonus points for a two door post. It has always been my thought that the designers at Buick had the best drugs in Michigan when they were designing the '59s... And I mean that in the best way possible!

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

great looking cars. they look kind of mean from the front. if they need a bad guy for the next CARs movie that would be a great choice.

as for the idiot crushing the car in the video... guess he's in business to toss money down the shitter. easily 2 grand in a car like that.

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Flo's ex-boyfriend, the Detroit mobster?

30. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

That video makes me sick too... Looks like it had a decent interior and a bunch of salvageable parts. I would love to punch the cameraman for his commentary.