Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Haha very true...Lucille Ball was a cousin of my grandfathers and this movie was one of the reasons we have a 53 Merc. My dad seems to remember them saying the used a Lincoln in the filming as well as one point them using a winch truck for something. He was only 10 at the time and not sure what for. But it's always been a big joke in our family because the brakes are hard stopping on our Merc and everytime were braking everyone in the car yells trailer brakes like in the movie...some place I have a bunch of promo material from this film I'll have to dig it out good shots of the car and camper

2. Patrick46

Patrick46

WOW...NICE Roger!!!

Lookit that wheelbase!! (any more or bigger pics??)

I'll bet it rode like a Cadillac!!!!! :cool: :D

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

This is us at the Gilmore Museums "Red Barns Spectacular" show last weekend. Over 30 campers, HUGE spectator turnout, the biggest day in the museums history, and TONS of cars of all kinds. Check out "Cool McCool's Garage" for more pics and the behind the scenes story...

http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Brian

Attached Files:

4. Loppy

Loppy

Been following this thread for a while now. I finally jumped into the vintage camper thang with my recent acquisition of a 55 Aloha! Totally psyched!!! It'll match my 55 Bel Air wagon perfectly! Looks like I'm going to fab a hidden hitch for a clean look.

I need to lean on the HAMB family here for a referral to reputable shipper that can properly pick it up in Cle Elum, WA, and deliver to me West Palm Beach, FL. Any leads will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Patrick46

Patrick46

WOW.....nice canned ham!! (and yer wagon ain't too shabby either!!) :p

here's 2 HAMB friendly auto/junk movers....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614568

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684434&highlight=transport

both seem to have very good reps

6. Clik

Clik

I would think that shipping all the way across the USA would cost more than the trailer is worth. Fla is full of trailers. I would think you could find one closer to home.

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome!:D

8. Loppy

Loppy

Patrick46, thanks for referrals. Hopefully one will work out.

Clik, hmmmm? Ya think if I could have found one close, and in halfway decent shape I would have bought it. But, after looking specifically for a '55 for about a year, you gotta take what you find, wherever it is. But thanks for your astute insights.

9. Clik

Clik

If you were stuck on an exact year that certainly narrows the field.

Have you thought about trying to find a good samaritan by hitting some motorhome forums? Maybe you'll luck into a snow bird headeding to FL from AK for the winter.

10. Loppy

Loppy

That's actually a great idea. The previous owner had a friend driving to FL and offered that, but his plans changed. Ultimately, I wouldn't want to burden anyone with a cross country trip towing a 57 year old vintage camper regardless of it's road worthiness. Depending on the shipping quotes I get, I may just fly out there, rent a truck, and drag it home myself. Would be a great trip this time of year. Stay tuned!

11. metalman

metalman

My brother has bought/ hauled these old canned hams all over and I've seen what he has gone thru. I highly recommend hauling it on a flatbed. After 57 years you have no idea the condition of the frame, bearings or coupler. The other and often bigger issue is keeping the darn thing together and not shaking apart if the wood frame has rot (Washington= lots of moisture) and most do. He's had whole sides, backs come loose and blow off on the interstate before. Amazing what can happen if the come loose and air gets inside! He now wraps them with packing film (like they wrap pallets with) before he hauls them. I don't want to discourage you but I don't want to see your trailer turn into total junk before you can get it home. Once you get it you can fix whatever it needs to be really tow worthy.

12. Patrick46

Patrick46

Great advice MetalMan! ^^^

13. Finding a vintage camper in your own back yard is extremely rare,,especially when you are looking for one built in the mid 50's.

We been looking for a mid 50's small Shasta for several years and they all seem to be in or around the West Coast,,and you are correct about transportation.

Add to that having to restore most of them and it's just to pricy for me. HRP

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We lucked out with our "new" '47 Spartan Manor. Given to us, just haul it away. It was 175 miles from home, and we hauled it on some wheels and tires I'd given to a friend a couple years ago. He was happy to give them back, having not had a use for them.

Cleaned and packed the wheel bearings, duct taped some auxilliary trailer lights in the back window, duct taped the cracked front windows up, and down the mutha-humpin road we went.

I don't know if I'd pay to have a canned ham hauled 'cross country, but, I'm cheap.

Brian

Attached Files:

15. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Sweet deal, my neighbour has a 46 manor like that!

I wish I had one.

16. Loppy

Loppy

Thanks, that's great information to consider. Waiting for shipping quotes and methods to finalize plans to get it home.

17. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

Here are a few pics of my 57 Shasta on our trip up the pacific coast highway this summer...

Attached Files:

• tr1.jpg
      tr1.jpg
      File size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
    • tr2.jpg
      tr2.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
  18. cs39ford

cs39ford

Heres pics of my 1976 (no name on it so do not know manuf>) that we use for all the overnight away from home car swap meets 350 eng w/dual glass packs Me and a buddy put a lot of miles on a year From Hershey to Wisc. Neb, Iowa etc!!

Attached Files:

19. Loppy

Loppy

Booked a shipper with flatbed through uShip this morning. It's loaded and coming home! Schwing!

Attached Files:

20. Patrick46

Patrick46

WOW...that didn't take long!!!

Great going!

21. Clik

Clik

I've passed on cars in the past because I figured shipping gosts would be too high, but honestly I have no idea what a cross country trip costs. If you don't mind me asking...?

22. Loppy

Loppy

I paid $2800. I'm very comfortable with that number considering the logistics and costs involved to do it myself. I'll update here when it arrives.

23. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Wow, where are you when I am asked to haul something that far... people seem to think paying less then the cost of fuel is appropriate...

Good luck with it, it's going to look great all fixed up behind your wagon!

24. You have a great looking camper,,that's the style I'm looking for. HRP

25. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

Glad to see this thread taking off....
    and i did use it! thanks for the name! hahaha
    george

Attached Files:

26. Patrick46

Patrick46

HA!!! AWESOME!!!

Only too happy to lend a hand!! (or idea) :D

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this one reminds me of Elvis. when I retire, I may be living in it.

[​IMG]

28. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

Mini Winni

Attached Files:

29. Clik

Clik

Seems reasonable considering the fuel costs today.

30. From the Internet; tiny house movement; Australien:

Attached Files: