Register now to get rid of these ads!

why did the nhra ban the bbf from top fuel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayne421, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

So here's another issue. Even if you wanted to run a Ford in a fuel class, where do you find parts?

2. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

We were just gonna buy a billet crank and rods and a custom set of je pistons

3. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

with gobs of BOOST

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The IHRA allows up to a 4.900" bore spacing in T/F

5. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Maby that's why so many people are moving towards ihra now

6. oj

oj

Carroll Carter - he was mentioned earlier - makes all the stuff. Most of what he makes is used in IHRA mountain motor stuff and pulling trucks. his shop (C&C Automotive) is in Manassas Virginia and he can fix you right up. I believe he advertises in the ihra magazine, something about the 'Big Boss', try to google it as it should be interesting reading if you like that big ford stuff. I believe he has 800+ inch motors.

7. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Thanks man ill check that out

8. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Ed Moss ran a 1937 Ford in AA/GS a while ago. It was Boss powered and I think the heads were billets carved by Indy Cylinder Head. This car was usually set low E.T. and won when it was campaigned. I realize that this is an alcohol class but a blown Boss none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOweO8mrwc8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I already have everything I need to do it X 3
    If you wanted to put together a Ford nitro motor with all new parts, I would say all the parts delivered to your doorstep in 8 weeks or less.
    There are a lot of very hungry parts manufacturers out there who would "love you long time" For that phone call ordering fuel motor parts. Your credit card # please ?

10. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

xxx

11. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

IHRA does not have a nostalgia class, but does have a early funny car class and they copied NHRA motor rules to the word.
    When asked about it the reply was "I don't know" we just copied the other guys. When told that it baned Fords the answer was "really"

12. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

13. Kimball Moore

Kimball Moore

Chrysler is too scare of loosing it's dominance so,Chrysler decide to cheat on the production Bore Spacing (1964 426 Bore Spacing:4.800"/Current Bore Spacing:4.840"),Which makes the BOSS 429 illegal by .060" on the Bore Spacing

14. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

15. Mike

Mike

Bingo! Late model engine.

I recon that a Cadillac northstar might be ruled out also.

16. Looks like somebody has too much time on their hands...dredging up a 4 year old thread... :)

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

i had a '69 Lincoln 460 in my Vega. I believe there were some 68 385 engines also. The current T/F engine has nothing to do with production 426 Chrysler Hemi engines besides history.

Attached Files:

18. rfraze

rfraze

Here is Ed Moss' TCI '37 when it first showed up at Tucson in early '99. It was the first AA/S race of that season, when NHRA picked up our class (along with A/Fuel Dragsters) as headliners for a new 6 race series sponsored by The Carb Shop. The Minotti 3 window body plug had been made off of a steel '37 body Ed owned. John Schalpi was helping Ed with the engine development and tuning at the time. And yes it was as nice as the car. I think Danny Gracia (NHRA tech guy) painted it. To say that Ed is a FORD guy is an understatement. The later pic above used tuning help from Randy Anderson.
    Ed Moss.jpg
    Walt Austin bought the later version of the car, which was powered by the latest technology for 6-71 supercharged alcohol burning big Fords around. He was convinced to sell it to Chad Walberg of Junction City, Oregon. Now called "The Boss" it has run for a little over a year in the aasupercharged.net series. I'll be looking for pics of it and the engines.
    Chad_burn_out.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  19. rfraze

rfraze

Perfect for entertaining the rest of us with TMTOOH.

20. There was more to this than just what's been detailed here... Yes, the initial 'ban' was due to Walt Austin, but reports of other Ford racers with these motors in the pipeline (all reporting meaningful HP gains) frightened somebody enough to generate the rules change. But it didn't quite kill the motor, just that version of it. John Force Racing was aware of Austin's results and very interested, so after the ban they altered the design with multiple years of development work so that it did comply. Now, my understanding is that these changes 'lost' some of the design advantages of the 'real' Ford, but enough remained and that, along with the JFR sponsorship by Ford, was enough to cause JRF to note that their cars were powered by 'Boss 500' motors, not the typical Chrysler-based used by all the others. I guess NHRA didn't have the guts to try bullying John....

Of course, with Ford now out of the NHRA pro classes and JFR now running Chevrolet bodies, any mention of the 'Ford Boss 500' will be verboten....

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I never knew that the Boss 500 engines actually made it in to racing..I did see a little article about it being under development but never saw anything later on in the mags I get, dumb mags..

22. Kimball Moore

Kimball Moore

NHRA (NATIONAL HOT ROD ASSOCIATION) should be MHRA (MOPAR HOT ROD ASSOCIATION)Because of Chrysler's money for the NHRA I mean MHRA

23. If you can find a pic of Brittany's 2014 dragster, it had a 'power by Ford' logo on it.

24. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

They banned the ford engine because it leaked too much oil!! JC

25. RmK57

RmK57

By the time the Winter nationals roll around it'll have chevy rocker covers on it.

There's a Pro mod Mustang running in the Northwest using the banned BBF engine. Runs very competitively from what I saw last September. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422325460.467504.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

To the ass that knocks roundy round guys, Ray Charles and Stevie wonder could drag"race"