Register now to get rid of these ads!

painted the 51 this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottyv, Aug 4, 2012.

1. scottyv

scottyv
    from nj

i painted my 51 belvedere gloss black on wed and it turned out like crap, so this morning i ratrod blacked it and put it back together, its been a long battle but she's ready for cruisin, just need some caps and some dummy spots

Attached Files:

2. chopo

chopo

i liked the "rat" ") better with the worn marron and black top

3. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Good to get things done, isn't it? Curious as to what kind of paint you used.
    Tom

4. I like it...Those cars are under rated. Is the interior white? More pics please.

5. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

I like the maroon

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shiny black looks great when you have the body perfect but it magnifies every flaw in the body work ten times over what it actually is.

Driving in flat black is better than sitting in the shed because it isn't ready to hit the streets though. Now you can work one panel at a time and put it back flat black until the whole car is perfect enough for shiny.

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

This is probably really irritating to hear, but I actually like it a bit better before the flat black. What's the final plan though?

8. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

like the black, but the roof needs something, color, flake, Lace pattern, to really make it works wheels need color too. IMOHO

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

Very cool little hardtop...you don't see too many of them around, that's for sure. Yes, shiny black is tough. Did you use a flat black enamel or is it just primer?

10. scottyv

scottyv
    from nj

i actualy liked the faded wanna be plum crazy myself, but i have state farm insurance, and in order to get their antique insurance car has to be in presentible condition, not ratty like, i would go with haggerty, but its $157 a year, which is not alot at all, but state farm is $29 dollars a year, and has much better coverage, and you can drive unlimited miles, as long as its for plessure use only, to answer some more questions, interior is cream and maroon, its flat black enamel not primer, i stripped it to bare metal has a few issues that need attention they braised all the trim holes a hundred years ago, and never ground or smoothed them just loaded bondo over, which i ground off, so i need to grind down the brass, plus it has some dings and stuff, otherwise pretty dam straight for a 61 year old car, first coat triple black turned out awsome, second coat had a goast working with me, my compressor had perfect pressure but gun kept getting to much air, then not enough, the tip blew off twice, needless to say there were many shiny and dull spots, no runs or fiheyes, but even though forcast called for sun, ten minutes after i painted it it poured like hell, destroying what was left of a terrible paint job

11. scottyv

scottyv
    from nj

plus my clubs fall cruise in is less then a month from now, and i'm driving the 51 this time, it sucks being a diehard mopar guy, but for the last 2 years having to drive my vette to all the cruise ins, i wouldn't even own it if the kid would have given me the $2500 he owed me instead of the vette

12. scottyv

scottyv
    from nj

yeh i know, i have full caps for the wheels, and after i put the final triple black paint its getting a candy purple lace job on the roof, and maybe hood and trunk haven't decided, but def roof

13. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I liked the Maroon...........but still a cool little ride.

14. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

cool paint job- that's how I did it- even with the gouges in mine I'd rather drive than sit and wait- it's our family motto- it's not only good it's good enough-

15. i have always wanted to pick up another hardtop and build a bomb.i also liked the maroon but i understand the motive.

here is my 51 hardtop.
    [​IMG]

16. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Whatever gets it on the road man, ad another belvedere to the hamb!

17. 1pickup

1pickup

i have state farm insurance, and in order to get their antique insurance car has to be in presentible condition, not ratty

hmm... I didn't have any problem w/ State Farm. My Merc is rattle can gray primer w/ maroon painted hood, shattered back glass, & no interior except the stock mouse eaten bench w/ an ugly green blanket over it.

18. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Yeah I agree, My car has decent paint, but I have never heard that. I also know they limit the yearly mileage. It can only be driven about 2500 I believe. Mainly for shows and parades.

19. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Looks good glad to see another belvedere here.

20. scottyv

scottyv
    from nj

that seems strange to me, do you have the antique insurance thats around $30-$40 range, or just regular insurance, because my agent told me i could put regular insurance, or even limited use insurance the way it looked before, but that was in the $350 a year range, not the antique insurance

21. scottyv

scottyv
    from nj

no clue, maybe its different in different states, i'm in ga, i know mine has unlimited milage, but cant be used as a daily driver to and from work, i have it on my vette, and my valiant, and if i want to go to a cruise in in nj, then in cali, then all around anywhere its no problem

22. scottyv

scottyv
    from nj

just got off the phone with my state farm guy, i was right and wrong, they changed the unlimited milage thing this year, you can't drive over, get this 8500 miles a year, basicly the same as unlimited, he also said that its state farms policy that the car has to be pretty much mint, no matter what state your in to get the antique insurance, he said either your mistaken and have regular coverage, not antique, or your agent farmed you out to another company, and you don't realy have state farm insurance, he said some state farm guys also sell other types of insurance

23. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i liked the maroon also , but its your ride , seen so many black cars its like camoflaged