Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The NEW RIDE Is Home Safe And Sound. I Can't Get Away From FORDS!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Aug 6, 2012.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

With the Legion Special sold it was time for a family car. I kept digging around and kept coming back, as always, to a Ford. I have had LOTS of early '60s Fords, from '60 Starliner (May Cause Dangerous) to a '64 Galaxie convertible (my first car), but only one '50s Ford, a '57 sedan. I wanted something that would hold the three of us, that was presentable, but not so nice that I was afraid to drive it. I looked at several Galaxies, Falcons and T-Birds over the past month or so. None of them lived up to their descriptions when I saw them in person, unfortunately.

This '58 T-Bird was on eBay. The guy listed his number so I called. It ended up being the builder who was selling it for the owner. The owner had it built as a driver for his 14-year-old son. His son ended up not wanting it and wants a vintage MG or Austin-Healey instead (still good taste). I talked with the owner too and both seemed honest so I bought a plane ticket to Portland, Oregon to check it out and hopefully drive it home.

The owner picked me up in it at the airport and we headed out for the test drive. It drove great and pretty much met the description. New paint that was even nicer than described, new 352 with 390 heads, new interior bits like seat covers, headliner, carpet and door panels (the rest will clean up nicely). Sold!

We went to his house to do the paperwork and meet his son. We finished up and I headed for home.

She drove great, with just a couple minor issues on the way home, like vapor locking in the 95-degree heat climbing the mountains. The trans also doesn't kick down and won't manually go into L, but those should just be linkage adjustments. The vapor lock issue should be an easy fix with an electric pump and fuel line reroute. Oil is also spitting out of the breather.

I stopped to help out another rodder just south of Redding on Sunday morning. I saw him on the northbound side with his hood and trunk up. I turned around at the next exit and pulled over to see what I could do. After about an hour he was back on the road. What was cool was that he and his wife had flown to San Jose to buy the car and were driving home to Vancouver, Washington.

Plans? Everyone is waiting for another big custom from me, but this one isn't it. For now I just plan on 15" Supremes, skinny whites, front disc brakes and lower the front 2". I'll replace the little chrome bits here and there that the PO didn't do. Maybe down the road.... flaked roof and panels outlined with pin striping, both to match the interior.

Next? I'll get this one dialed-in while I take my time looking for the next "BIG PROJECT". Then this one goes to the wife.

A few pics rom this morning in front of my work. Still bug carnage everywhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. I've got a 64 in the shop right now.....I'm starting to really want a T bird.....

3. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Nice Kirk ..

4. belair

belair

The interior color surprised me, but in a good way. Nice car. Sounds like it will be a slick driver.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I was a kid we went and test drove one of those (used). I must have been 10 or so and thought the insides were like a space ship. I think that's when we got the 66 Caprice. My folks should have got the T-Bird.

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Oooh she's Cherry!

7. a freind of mine has a 65 Retractable Conv. in his Body Shop
    redoing some things that another Shop screwed up
    Nice Car but I like the 56 Birds

8. Imperial66

Imperial66
    from NC

Nice car! I really like the colors on the Bird, but I can't see a 58-60 Bird without thinking about Elvira. I wish you many miles and smiles.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Nothing looks like that car from behind. God they nailed that.

10. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Didn't the Starliner's introductory post start out similar to this? :)

11. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

nice family cruiser Kirk.....ya did good!!

12. That is rad! love the interior and can't wait to see it with Supremes:D

13. froghawk

froghawk

Congratulations! Great color on the interior. Looks really solid, but why does the front sit so high?

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Shhhhh..... :D

From what I can gather, that's the stock stance.

15. Glad you finally landed one...now if you know someone who wants a 61 pass the word :D

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, yours is a hell of a deal!

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

OK, I already lied about custom shit. I just talked to the guys at Glory Grilles and they're going to make me a tube grille for it. SWEET!

18. NE Speed&Custom

NE Speed&Custom

Thats bitchin. Not much better than starting out with a nice solid car like that. We have a 64 Merc in the shop that we plan on doing something similar with.

19. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Kirk you now officially reside in Suckville! Color me envious... Sweet ride! And Chris, a '61 would be WAY cool, but unfortunately not all the way from WA state!

20. Nice, Kirk!
    I'd drive it proudly. Those 58s and 59s are cool. I'm holding out for a manual transmission 58 myself. Badass!

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Nice ride Kirk! My favorite squarebird is still the one that George Barris did for his wife Shirley. Its just cool late 50s semi custom. Enjoy it!

22. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I had an almost identical one, about 15 years ago, white too, it was a 59. Loved that thing. Congrats.

23. Nice Ride. Enjoy the hell out of it!

24. The '58-'59 T-Birds look custom from the factory..like the '63-'65 Rivs. Years ago they seemed to be often overlooked.
    Good to see they are finally being appreciated.
    Your plans sound like a good way to go with it.

25. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Nice 'bird you have there. I have '64. My wifie had '60 some twenty years ago.

Attached Files:

26. Squablow

Squablow

I had a white '59 with the same color interior. I really want another one so I can weld a '58 Fairlane 2dht roof onto it and leave the rest stock.

27. I have some history with big birds. Looks like you got an excellent start. Good luck with it.

28. bryan6902

bryan6902

It's been said but that front looks 'gasser high' at stock ride height...

I forget those hoods open from the back... Kinda makes you wish that distributor was in the back.

I like it a lot, show cars are great, but drivers are more fun. Enjoy it.

29. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Kirk: nice license plate!

30. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota