Register now to get rid of these ads!

" THE FUGITIVE" F.E.D Dragster Build "

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

Looking for a second rim like this wide five safety rim 10" wide 3" back space the rim istwo pieces or just a fron half.

Attached Files:

2. Ricci32

Ricci32

Things are going along great found a guy in cali with nos magnesium outer halfs for my rear wheels. Going over my list i needed a steering wheel butterfly dragster style. looked at the wheel thread on the hamb and decided to build my own sat down on sunday and drew up a cardboard template stopped at my buddy joes machine shop transfered the template to his cnc machine and made my own wheel it came out fantastic for grips im using layered laminant plastic to give it that 50's hot rod look Red and Black.here are pics of the wheel prior to being bent.

Attached Files:

3. Ricci32

Ricci32

found a source for colored lexan for the grips. Us plastics

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thanks for posting all the pictures of your project.

I must admit that at this point I am hooked and can't wait to see your project progress!!!!

What is so neat about what you are doing is that many of us have thought about the exact same thing but never found the time to do it.

This is the type of project that will always have many of us watching from start until finish.

Thanks for posting and so that we all can follow along and watch your dream take shape.

Best of luck. Jimbo

5. Ricci32

Ricci32

Its funny jimbo i spent most of my life building and racing east coast dirt circle track modifieds stopped racing in 2004 a divorce and loosing my dad to cancer 2008 derailed my interest and desire for years found the hamb by accident started looking at build threads like the hi Lo hustler ,and the builds by the riceman. brian king,The evil twin spoke to guys like Roo man and swamp donkey. I always loved the look and style of the early front engine dragsters thats why i chose an early Kent fuller style car what a work of art. Found a great chassis builder and fabricator in David Beard Owner of dragster supply and performance automotive welding. not that im a bad fabricator but his skills and attitude are fantastic. I brought him a truck load of used parts and a idea of what i wanted and he ran with it. Going to his shop next week for a few days to work with him on fitting and finishing the car up as a roller.The funny part of all this is that i have only been to the drag races a few times in my life. Its been more about working with old friends again meeting new ones and finging focos and desire again . Im glad to be able to show it to everyone. This is also not about big dollars this car complete should be less than my tire bill from modified racing my last year.

6. Ricci32

Ricci32

The butterfly wheel fully formed only thing left are the grips

Attached Files:

7. Ricci32

Ricci32

Cut the blanks for my grips from colored lexan used a scroll saw with a fine blade used part of the steering wheel layout on my friends cnc machine and are going to attempt to mill the grip shape.

Attached Files:

8. LZ

LZ

Very nice Ricci. Say would LVD be your home track then?
    Whats close to you?
    Gee summers screwing by as always.:(
    Luke

9. Ricci32

Ricci32

the valley is the closest. i plan on hitting all the east coast nostalgia events buying a motorhome to haul the digger.

10. Ricci32

Ricci32

steering box mounting bracket for my reversed corvair box. cut out on a plasma jet. here is the box installed. David Beard of dragster supply produces these brackets right in his shop in a cad assisted plasma jet. the quality and finish for a one off part is amazing.

Attached Files:

11. Ricci32

Ricci32

Spent the last few day at David Beards shop helping get my dragster together fabricating parts and fitting the car ,pedals rollcage to fit me. check out the engraving with his plasma arc oustanding for making brackets in steel and aluminium how do you like my 750 honda brake pedal as a clutch pedal , cool steering support vintage moon pedal

Attached Files:

• c1.JPG
      c1.JPG
      File size:
      121.9 KB
      Views:
    • c2.JPG
      c2.JPG
      File size:
      117.5 KB
      Views:
    • c3.JPG
      c3.JPG
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
    • c4.JPG
      c4.JPG
      File size:
      92.8 KB
      Views:
    • c5.JPG
      c5.JPG
      File size:
      96.1 KB
      Views:
    • c6.JPG
      c6.JPG
      File size:
      111.8 KB
      Views:
    • c7.JPG
      c7.JPG
      File size:
      116.4 KB
      Views:
  12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Pretty cool pieces your building for the car, Looks Great Tim Jones

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Check the rules , But I do beleive that the clutch can you are using is not legal in an open cockpit chassie, Reason being that the opening for your clutch fork is not enclosed and even though the likelyhood of a clutch comming out is minimal the rules state the there will be no openings that are not covered.

14. Ricci32

Ricci32

It seems that a naturally asperated car with a single or two disk clutch can have a slot for a standard clutch fork as long as the slot is behind the plane of the rotating assembly.

15. Ricci32

Ricci32

Cut out the brake handle from 1/4 " aluminium scrap. Once again used the plasma jet . It will get the same grips as the steering wheel.

Attached Files:

16. LZ

LZ

Very nice Mr Ricci.
    Now what in the hey is that on the floor to the left:confused: A cat?

Hey I remember in talks that they upped Brake handle material to 3/8".
    Is that just for the 7.50 and faster? Have to check the rule book now.
    Luke

17. Great lookin start!

18. Ricci32

Ricci32

Thanks Luke not sure. Watch out carl my plans are to build a flathead powered dragster for my nephew next.

19. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

Larry killer job man . did you by chance have any getto beers in front of beards this weekend :)

20. Ricci32

Ricci32

My vintage magnesium rims are ready for anodized gold paint. i will polish the outside lip.

Attached Files:

21. Ricci32

Ricci32

The Dover drag reunion was fantastic over the weekend ,Brian darcy was there with his original 1964 spe car the car has not been raced or updated since 1969 , it only has about 10 runs on it and was moth balled after the 69 winternationals it was the only car on nitro at the event this is one of the nicest unrestored top fuel cars in the country. I sounded fantastic.

22. Ricci32

Ricci32

Progress continues the drag chute teather mount and the single wheelie bar, I know not traditional , are complete . This is my first dragster , first drag anything. 550 hp and 125" in car figure better safe than sorry. Its removable.

Attached Files:

23. Ricci32

Ricci32

Check out the drag chute mount.

Attached Files:

24. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

25. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

26. Ricci32

Ricci32

Hey this rear look familiar, the same rear im using. fuller used it in the western mfg car in '63

Attached Files:

27. Ricci32

Ricci32

The roll cage is complete its looking great difficult to maintain a vintage look with the 5point cage and the width im not a little guy what do you guys think the workmanship is fantastic.

Attached Files:

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Chassis looks good to me, still has the Look, I added a 6 point to mine, I'd rather be safe than sorry, Tim Jones

29. Ricci32

Ricci32

Safety ws our first concern the car will be fast enough. Also trying to keep a classic style. It should have no trouble passing cert at a min 7.50 and slower.

30. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

A friend of mine is having a rear engine car built by him and he is very pleased by his work.