Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The history of Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Man, Goffs had some of the best burgers in Dallas! My Grandmother lived close to his Lovers Lane location so we went there often. I remember that if he didn't like your looks he would throw you out. Great to see a thread about my old home town! We lived in North dallas when they Built 635. My dad and a few others discovered they could get onto it befoer it was finished and use it as a short cut to work. That is untill they all got nabbed by the Police and given tickets! Remember the SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! radio ads for Green Valley Raceway? Or Art Grindell's sales pitch on TV?

2. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Yeah when Big Town opened it was the place to go! When did it get taken down? I recall the Buckner Orphans home was out near Big Town.
    What was the name of the Speed shop on Lovers Lane in the late 60's? I bought a lot of stuff there. We had a prety active cruising area in Lake Highlands back then too on Audelia and Kingsley. I believe they have now changed the name of Audelia rd.

3. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Hey Neighbor!! Did you go to Martha Turner Reiley Elem. School? I grew up in the lockwood area too on Barnes Ave. Ever eat diner at the Drug Store soda fountain?

Mike

4. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Iggy Twerp! Forgot all about him, How about Mr. Peppermint? What did we have 4 channels?

5. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

. I graduated in 71 from Lake Highlands we had loads of cool cars. Many Z-28s and mid fifties Chevys. I drove a sleeper VW . Street raced it quite a bit.

Mike West

6. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Especially since one of the National News anchors all but blamed the people of Dallas for his death.

I remember it well too my friend and you are right about the feelings it brings up.

Mike

7. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

It was "Icky Twerp"

8. I don't know a lot about Dallas. We just moved here about 18 months ago. I lived in Corpus Christi most my life, then Houston. However, I do remember the building of the then "brand new" DFW Turnpike toll road between Dallas and Fort Worth. This was before Interstates. Of course the DFW Turnpike is now I-30.

9. Went to MTR, Hill, and Bryan Adams, class of 66. My late wife went to Lake Highlands, class of 67. Crissie used to baby sit mister peppermint's kid on occasion.
    Used to go to White Rock lake on Sunday to watch the hot rod parade.
    I was driving a 59 Austin Healey bug eye Sprite then.

10. Glad to see this thread back up from the dead..Hope some new Dallas guys will post something.

11. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Forest Lane Reunion tomorrow night. Saturday June 9.

12. apound

apound

13. You talking about Charco's?

14. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Do you remember a guy names Buck Rodgers who drove a 38 (?) Chevy with a bad ass GMC six at the Sportsdrome? You could hear that Jimmey over all the small blocks out there as it was eating them up.

15. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Just read this post and someone mentioned the Tornado Soccer team, which brought back a memory of a picture that was hanging in my grandfathers dr. office. Went diggin and sure enough this is the pic.

Dr. John Graham on the left was my grandfather.

Attached Files:

16. This is extremely cool. I went to college in Denton after I got out of the service...graduated in 95.

That'll clue you in that I'm no old-timer, but I do remember well, going to a Cowboys game in the early 70's and all of that being out in the sticks. For some reason we drove over to Allen and Plano and both of those were essentially just places to stop and get gas.

My dad took my mom to the Green Valley dragstrip many times back when they were living in that area (before I was born) in about 1960 or so and he talks about all the trees that had on one side of the track. When we've been out to Little River, he's remarked about how that sort of reminds him of Green Valley.

And finally....one other story I heard from an old-timer who I rented a room from while I was in college in Denton...

He worked at the auto plant in Dallas in the old days before the interstate and drove in everyday from Denton. He said there wasn't a Lake Lewisville back then (I guess they hadn't dammed up the river yet) and he would drive his car over a low-water bridge at the point where highway 77 crossed the river. He said there were many times when the water would be over the bridge.

Again...this is very cool. I have to admit that I have sort of an obsession with history and how places change over time.

17. draggler

draggler

Just a bump is all i can add ,,and a thank you to Apound for starting the post of a cool local history lesson!

18. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Here's some pic's of Charco's on Garland Rd. with Prince of Hamburgers.
    These were the two hangouts for the Bryan Adams kids '60-62.
    I'm from BA '62 in the Casa View area.
    I think the drive in hamburger joint mentioned, on Northwest Highway
    north of White Rock Lake may have been Keller's up by Abrams Rd.
    Keller's is still there and one of the only places you can still get a beer
    served in your car with your burger (due to grandfathered in rules ).

Attached Files:

19. Sportsdome had the Stude business cpe up on top of the sign pole....long after it closed....my buds always ribbed me on...."when are ya going to get that o'Studie off that pole?"....if only the old gin pole truck would go that high.....

although Sportsdrome lasted longer over on Davis street - there were tracks the next street over on Jefferson street - where my uncle took me to....that's where some of the wrecking yards are today....

here's a shot of my uncle's A with GMC power that ran out in Cali...saw it run about 1969...still giving them small block chevie's the shit....

DH000002.jpg

20. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Thought I would bump this for anyone who may have missed it. Good thread for the North Texas people.

21. MR.QUICK

MR.QUICK
    from dallas tx

the charco's i remember was on mockingbird and abrams. ( a jack in the box and parking for the shopping center there now) remember brownies restaurant on east grand and jumbo's with the neon elephant in red, somewhere down by gaston and haskel st. I remember going to campisis egytian lounge, ( with mom and dad) then. Now, campisi's egyptain restaurant. ( hi corkey) what about the old expressway lanes bowling alley with the brand new holiday inn close by. Old saint paul hospital, t bar chassis, a.w. Takat, seeing the new 1957 chevy come out with that bad ass 283 ci engine and wanting one. Thank you gentlemen for the memories, because when it's all said and done that's all we have to take with us is the memories. God bless!!!!!!!

22. Larry T

Larry T

Mr. Quick,
    Just out of curiosity, did you ever own the green and white Anglia?

23. MR.QUICK

MR.QUICK
    from dallas tx

LARRY T, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT UNFORTUNATLY THAT'S NOT ME, BUT I DO HAVE AN 1948 ANGLIA ( RED) SBC, STACK INJECTION ON ALKY THAT WE RUN IN THE OLD NOSTALGIA STUFF IN THE AREA. ALSO A 1948 YELLOW AUSTIN SBC ON ALKY THAT WE ALSO CAMPAIGN. IT HAD BEEN SO LONG I DIDN'T THINK ANYONE WOULD MIND IF I USED THAT "TITLE NAME" TO GO BY.

LARRY T, DO YOU REMEMBER A 1967 YELLOW CAMARO CALLED "MR. PERFECTION" USING A MICROMETER FOR THE "P" IN PERFECTION, I SAW HIM RUN AT YELLO BELLY. MAN HE WAS FAST. AT LEAST FOR BACK THEN. WE ARE LOOKING TO OUR NEXT RACE UP IN ARDMORE ON THE IST OF SEPT. IF YOU CAN STAND ALL THE HEAT AND WANT ALITTLE TASTE OF THE PAST, COME ON OUT AND WATCH SOME OLD GASSER, SUPER STOCKS, FUNNYS, ALTEREDS, DIGGERS AND ALITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING. SHOULD BE FUN AND HHOOTT. Thanks.

24. MR.QUICK

MR.QUICK
    from dallas tx

larry t, just went back and looked at your 55 build. Awesome !!!!!!!!

25. Larry T

Larry T

It doesn't bother me that you use "Mr. Quick". I saw that you had an Anglia and was just curious. I really didn't know the car until Jim Stewart (LA Dragway owner) ended up with the car in Lawton. I think it's is still around, but unrecogizable as the original car.

As far as the Mr. Perfection car goes, I "sorta" remember it running at Wichita Falls, but don't remember who owned it. I'll ask around and see if any of the old guys :rolleyes: remember.

If I make it to Ardmore, I'll look you up.

26. senior fried

senior fried

All right , Mr. Quick on the board ! Growing up in Dallas was great, Everybody remembering it even better !

Attached Files:

27. MR.QUICK

MR.QUICK
    from dallas tx

hi dennis, you ready to line'm up at ardmore in that a/g class? Dennis, i'm going to get your model a wheel and tire from david today. I will have it at my house if and when you need to pick it up. How is the mokan express coming, i think reed is going to ardmore also on a thread i saw. Hope you and everyone are o.k. Later.......

28. MR.QUICK

MR.QUICK
    from dallas tx

dennis, is that thumb nail the mokan express. If it is you are going to have to set me out a couple of links, later gator.

29. rfraze

rfraze

scan1.jpg scan2.jpg scan0003.jpg
    Man, I've been hoping for some pics of Custom Automotive. We used to skip school to go by there and always stop off at Mrs. Baird's Bakery up the street, where you could buy hot, unsliced bread. The smell FILLED the air. In the day-old shop, you could get a tray of Twinkies, cupcakes, etc. for a buck. Sometimes Bobby would have his yellow T bucket out in front of Custom. This car made a difference. Here's how it looked in print.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  30. Hey Rob,,are you trying to embarass me with my ugly old car??LOL