Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving at night.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc Squat, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Doc, you and I have the same problems. I had halogens in my 32 headlights. Wasn't worth squat. I bought these because of the combined turnsignals. I can now see way down the road.
    http://www.rodworx.com/product.php?item=569

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Bob, does your wife know you're prowling around at night?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I just set up my driving lamps to switch on with the high beams and the yellow fog lamps with the low beams, you shouldn't be running the high beams in rain or fog anyway, I can't see crap but reflected light with that, good ambers in bad weather on low beams show the edges of the road much better

4. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Yep. I was doing a wedding.

5. The problem with the kit's for old lights are that the lenes are not set-up like sealed beams (beam pattern on the glass). With the stock lens you get a really bright flood light vs. the focused beam of the sealed, you need to run with the high beams on and the lights pointed down with the halogen kits. I've been thinking of the sealed beam conversion for the '28 but the new kits put the sealed beam behind the stock lens and you might run into some problems at night that way. The old sealed beam kits mounted them so they took the place of the lens but looked really goofy. I found this out on my '60 elco, I bought some kits in the late 90's from the swapmeet to convert the sealed beams to halogen inserts, they SUCKED. Made a really big flood pattern directly in front of the car and when you adjusted them out further the light was weaker (hence the having to use the high beams). I noticed the new housings had a lot less lines and a different pattern then the sealed beams......so the pattern on the lenses makes a BIG difference.

Functional but ugly:

[​IMG]

Really worthless:

[​IMG]

32 lens:

[​IMG]

Sealed beam light:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  6. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

I looked at new reflectors and lense which is a new product from Julliano. Anybody try them?? Not the same as HRP was showing.

7. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. I have done most of what a lot of you said to do ie Clean windshield, eye check (I do this once a year) . I think I'll try Hot rod primers advice and get some new reflectors for a start. Many of you asked what kind of car and I'm driving a 1932 Ford tudor. I really didn't see a add-on light that I thought would look on a 32. I know some of the euro style would do the job but would look like crap. Any and all additional info will be welcome. I've got to do something before I reall fu*k up. Thanks guys!!

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Jagman;

AFAIK; Zenons require a lot of power, an automatic "dimmer", & the *two* level-sensors ( one front & one rear), + the computer to keep them properly aimed - after they are set by a competent mech, & recognized as such by the computer..

The "dimmer" isn't, as such. What it is, is a set of vanes (flaps), in the bulb, that move to cut off (deflect downwards) some light from the bulb. Don't think they are ever "wide-open", as that'd blind every oncoming car. & you don't need to see above the tree tops, anyways.

I'd like to find some "universal" type retrofits, & esp not have them cost upwards of 500->800+ USD.

But I *do* like the light from them... :D .

Marcus...

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd just load up a seeing-eye dog in the passenger seat.....

10. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I heard they're developing braille road signs so the legally blind can drive, too...

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

12. Doc,Drake has the kit to convert your headlights in his summer sale catalog until 8/17/12.

Sale price is $108.00, and you won't regret it!

# B-13027-QK-12 and you need to tell them the catalog code FL512A

When you get them installed drag this thread back up and post your thoughts. HRP

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  13. Ken,Their kit is designed for 37-39 Fords only. HRP

14. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

Maybe the deal here is to set up your lights with the real ugly ones that work best and the original lenses over top. But make it in such a way you can remove the lenses easily if you need to drive at night. No one can see your actual lights when they are on at night, then you get the best of both worlds.

15. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

HRP: I just saw them at Louisville in there booth on Saturday. They looked different than Drake and I want turn signal in light too.

I hope Doc does feedback!

16. Ken,I have always liked the big original head lights and have tried all the magic cures for the lighting problems that are inherent with the originals,,from the re pop silver replacememt reflectors and bright bulbs to the rings that adapt the sealed beams (FUGLY with a capital F) to the original headlight buckets and about 5 years ago I tried the new chrome plated plastic kit offered by Drake.

I couldn't believe the difference in the light that these things throw out,,the reflectors shape is entirely different from what we normally see and what I have be told is similar design to that of a Mini Cooper

Before I sold my '32 4 door I installed them and bought a set for my 1932 coupe project. HRP

17. The whole wedding hell my ol lady gets real ticked when I just do a couple of strippers. :D

18. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Ok I took hotrodprimers advice and ordered the kit from Bob Drake. Will be filing a follow up report soon.

19. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Doc, I'm doing the same for my 32. I'll post results also.
    HRP, thanks for the call. I appreciate it

Jim

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

don't laugh, Washington has actually spent money on researching braille highway signs, since it's a recognized disability, Big brother says they have to be accommodated to, even though they can't drive. Not making fun of the blind, just the people in Washington who are blind by having their heads up their asses. How do you read an overhead braille highway sign? stop traffic,get on a ladder and read it?

21. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Those 65 MPH speed-limit signs would be a BITCH on the old fingertips as you whiz down the freeway... :eek:

22. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  23. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

ouch!

24. BOOOOOO!!! Drake doesn't have A stuff.

25. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

Check out page 41 of Julianos new catalog for 32-34 headlights

26. jimbousman

jimbousman

I chuckled when I first looked at the rear pull down shade over the rear window on my "A" coupe, I thought "This would be cool for the drive-inn." That was until I was told it was for night driving to prevent the headlights from reflecting off the rear window. From then on I never drove at night without it.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I knew right what you were going to say lol, I remember the first time my dad drove his 28 Chrysler he didn't know what the shade was for either,until , he saw the "lights" coming right at him and nearly drove off the road. It's kind of like those infinity mirrors.

28. I wonder about the signs next to the bathrooms in buildings. How does a blind person know that they are there?

Seriously, after five surgeries in both eyes to correct cataracts and a torn retina, I really appreciate the issues we are all facing driving at night.
    I just scored a 47 Tudor, and I'm going to be looking at improving the light signature at night.
    I live in a heavily wooded area North of Dallas, and light is at a premium. So keep up the comments and recommendations fellas.

29. pitman

pitman

They did sell me a set for A buckets, however I still have the "low in front" bright spot w/far less projecting out forward.
    HRP, or other mavens of illumination, would you have any alignment suggestions I might try here? Thanks, Pitman