Register now to get rid of these ads!

Get ready for the RUMBLE in the JUNGLE .... Deadman Curve vs. Lead East

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ArtofHotRod, Jul 11, 2012.

1. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

there are other hotels ...I haven't stayed at the hilton since 1992

2. jeffer3299

jeffer3299
    from nj

they are all booked

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I just booked 2 rooms at the Hanover Marriott 3 days ago...

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

they just get replaced with new folks
    and the show gets better all the time[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh, sorry, but no it doesn't.
    Lead East started out as the best thing to happen to custom cars since the mid 60's. It was a very "magical" gathering, with very special people, great cars, fantastic music groups, many things to do...seminars, doo-wop, movies, dancing, etc.
    It continued this way for many years, due to the efforts of Terry and his crew. Even through changes in location, which varied greatly.
    But recently, I believe the magic has gone out of the show.
    The biggest thing was allowing the newer cars into it. I'm unapolagetic about it. While I appreciate and enjoy muscle cars and such at car shows, I even restore them for guys, I feel that their presence has really put the kabosh on Lead East. Just seeing them kind of ruins the "Worlds Greatest 50's Party" atmosphere, but the attitude and competitiveness of the owners really put the stake into it's heart.
    Anyone who thinks I'm being petty, or just have and attitude about Terry or Lead East, I don't think theres' a handful of people out there who have been to the show as many times as I have. I was at the FIRST Lead East, in Flemington, and have been to every single one, up until last year. WITH a custom car.
    2 years ago, I took my CUSTOM 61 Dodge up there on Saturday, only to be told, the lots were full, and I couldn't park the car inside, I had to park it outside in the spectator lot. (can you say "worry" when you have a custom Candy and Flake panel paint job in a parking lot!) Yeah, I probably should have pre-registered, but sometimes you don't know what your schedule will be like, and it is pretty expensive to enter for a day, so to pre-reg, and then have something come up to miss it, is to lose some cash.
    But the thing is....I could not get in because there are a bunch of Camaros, Mustangs, and Vettes taking up spaces in the show. For a "50's Party" this isn't right!
    While I still may go, and the reason I am going, is to see all the true custom car guys that attend, and I have been friends with, from recent ones, up to 30 years.
    Terry still puts out a good show, better than most, but the real magic of Lead East "Has left the building".

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Very well said Chopolds! Its not a bad show but it has just become another show, another very expensive (Minimun $50 Plus, Plus, Plus) show.

6. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

yet the show sells out [with good weather ] ..chop olds is starting to sound like another "insider" ..who's nose got out of joint when he got turned away for showing up at the gate at 12:30 on saturday afternoon
    sorry ...LEAD EAST is not just another car show ..it had been wheezing , but took on a new life with the traditional rod craze going on

7. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Maybe I'm younger than you guys (43), but I like Lead East and I like the show and I like all the cars that come. I actually think the muscle cars are a very minority part of the show and I don't mind them. If the show is sold out, it's obvious that people are still going. I was a spectator at the show for 3 years in the early 90's then started going with my own car in 1995 and have been going every year since. I go in a plan B space with a bunch of other buddies and our families. We have 30+ people and a dozen cars parked together. It's something we look forward too every year. I love it.

8. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Mark, while I definitely agree with you about the muscle cars and later cut off dates, and expressed these concerns to terry cook, and still disagree with his response and reasoning, I will never miss a lead east...like you, I've been to every one (the first when I was 12). I grew up on lead east and developed my passion for kustom cars partly from going to this show. Let's face it, this isn't California, we don't get more than 1 or 2 kustoms and the average show, but they still come to lead east. I enjoy seeing the cars and people I will only see once a year, and the atmosphere, while watered down, is still there for me...long live lead east
    Uhhhh, sorry, but no it doesn't.
    Lead East started out as the best thing to happen to custom cars since the mid 60's. It was a very "magical" gathering, with very special people, great cars, fantastic music groups, many things to do...seminars, doo-wop, movies, dancing, etc.
    It continued this way for many years, due to the efforts of Terry and his crew. Even through changes in location, which varied greatly.
    But recently, I believe the magic has gone out of the show.
    The biggest thing was allowing the newer cars into it. I'm unapolagetic about it. While I appreciate and enjoy muscle cars and such at car shows, I even restore them for guys, I feel that their presence has really put the kabosh on Lead East. Just seeing them kind of ruins the "Worlds Greatest 50's Party" atmosphere, but the attitude and competitiveness of the owners really put the stake into it's heart.
    Anyone who thinks I'm being petty, or just have and attitude about Terry or Lead East, I don't think theres' a handful of people out there who have been to the show as many times as I have. I was at the FIRST Lead East, in Flemington, and have been to every single one, up until last year. WITH a custom car.
    2 years ago, I took my CUSTOM 61 Dodge up there on Saturday, only to be told, the lots were full, and I couldn't park the car inside, I had to park it outside in the spectator lot. (can you say "worry" when you have a custom Candy and Flake panel paint job in a parking lot!) Yeah, I probably should have pre-registered, but sometimes you don't know what your schedule will be like, and it is pretty expensive to enter for a day, so to pre-reg, and then have something come up to miss it, is to lose some cash.
    But the thing is....I could not get in because there are a bunch of Camaros, Mustangs, and Vettes taking up spaces in the show. For a "50's Party" this isn't right!
    While I still may go, and the reason I am going, is to see all the true custom car guys that attend, and I have been friends with, from recent ones, up to 30 years.
    Terry still puts out a good show, better than most, but the real magic of Lead East "Has left the building".[/QUOTE]

9. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

the last winner of the muffler rapping contest was a 70 chevelle - 15 years ago

10. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Trivia question? Actually, if I remember correctly, the last muffler rapping contest was around about 2003. A girl named Becky Robinson with a 64 Chevy beat out a guy called the chicken man with a 65ish Chevy 4 door. The guy got pissed off that he got beat by a girl or just that he lost and caused all kinds of trouble because of it. The muffler rapping contest was eliminated after that year.....

11. 41fastback

41fastback

How great were the flamethrowers circling the pond at night and lighting them off together. Ah! wasn't it TC's shenanigans with Roman Candles the reason flame throwing was banned? That was the beginning of the slide. Then no muffle rapping contest. No cruising with people piled on the vehicle. What else am I missing? Last year was my first miss in 23 yrs.

12. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

What is a Lead East "insider"?

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I guess it is someone who loves the event so much he's been going to it for longer than a lot of guys on this forum have been alive, and perhaps is disappointed to see how it has declined? I don't ask for any special treatment, and don't expect any. But I do have a much longer involvement wit the event, so I have better perspective on what has been happening over the years.
    With so many other car shows around, I would think that specializing in the "right" kind of cars would make the show stay special, not just like any Goodguys/Lead Scene/Boardwalk/Hot New England Nights kind of shows.
    Think Road Agents, for example, growing every year, and sticking to it's roots.

Bob, I hear where your'e coming from, and totally agree, I just feel sad at the diminishing importance of our customs, in a show that started out being EXCLUSIVELY custom, because no one else accepted us (remember that far back?). Now everyone accepts and courts customs, and the ORIGINAL custom show, doesn't seem to. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.
    And it's guys like you, Jay, Mikey, Joe and Billy, Russ, Teddy and Vinny, Barkoff and Glen, and all the other "keepers of the torch" who drive sleds that make me want to go to the event. Not so much the event itself any more.
    I hope Lead East goes on for a long time more, but I would hate to see it become just another show with 50 Camaros, 20 Vettes, and Mustangs, and Cudas, and Chevelles, and handfull of rods, and a few customs...like all the other shows.
    It just looks like it's going in that direction.

14. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I dont get why and what people are arguing over......... there's probably 50 shows going on in NJ alone, 30 more in NY and another 40 in PA that weekend. Raceway Park, Island and Atco are open too. Go to the show you want and enjoy it. I kills me that every single show has become a pissing match and the guys bitching and moaning dont even run the show and most of the time leave there car home because that shows "not good enuff for it". If the event organizer's do what they can to please everyone but its impossible. Its your car take it where you like and have fun. Put your folding chair infront of it and give dirty looks to the tattoo'd kid getting into the hobby for looking at your car. Then go home and wonder where everyone has gone and why the traditions have faded.

15. jeffer3299

jeffer3299
    from nj

Well said my friend !!!!!

16. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

[​IMG]

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

Jeffer -

seems like you have a pulse on the DMC show - are they still doing Wednesday at the Farm?

thanks

18. Cursinallday

Cursinallday
    from NJ

He's not the one to know. Get in touch with Rich or Mario

19. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I got my pee pee smacked here on the HAMB for talking shit about Lead East.. My views havnt changed but all I will say is GO DMC!!!!!!!! F*#K YEA! -E

20. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

i like both - one day of each is good for me - apparently the the Weds party (DMC) is still a "go" according to their web site:

http://deadmanscurvecarclub.com/

all is well
    thanks

21. jeffer3299

jeffer3299
    from nj

Wed. is still on as usual !!!!! Bigger and better than ever. Special guest Dennis Gage will be filming !!!!!!!

22. teddyp

teddyp

Lead east is labor day week-end

23. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

free show as in no cost

24. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

"INSIDER" as in those who think their status is so great , they demand pricey goodies to get their awesome car to appear ..it happens in the familiarity breeds contempt realm

look at my gasser axle zoomie pipe rig with herman munster wheels on it
    ain't I just the shit ..
    hahahahaa funny stuff

25. jeffer3299

jeffer3299
    from nj

I am the one to know. I am a DMC member

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

Brother, you get what you give in life. Try being a little less negative. No ones trying to fight you, if anything I think Chopolds was rather concise and polite in his statements. The HAMB should be a place where like minded folks can dig on each others rides, share knowledge and inspire one another, not be negative and insulting to one another.

once again, we get what we give.

No need to be so inflammatory

breath... :rolleyes:

27. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

just having fun ..get my GED when you get one

28. It's an unfortunate reality that the genre of custom cars has been dying off for many years. Think/say what you want about Terry Cook but in the end Lead East is one of the last remaining places where you can see customs and lots of 'em.

29. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

That's the same point I made earlier. Sadly, its true. There are, however, several beautiful kustoms in the area that you just never see, as their owners seem to have lost the juice to bring them out..

30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I agree with Mark and Bobby. I'll be at Lead East this year, because it's the only real legit local show and frankly, even though the events and aspects of the show that made it a real blast in years past have slowly all been removed, it's still a damn good time. There really aren't many good custom shows in the area anymore. Road Agents is gone in CT. The NY Rumblers show was cool but got out of hand with the bikers and outgrew it's location. The Jalopy Showdown is an awesome show but is centered around traditional rods. Gettysburg is on life-support. So we go to Lead East.

Like Mark said, it's the attitude of the people at Lead East that have killed a lot of the magic. Lead East attracts the true gold chainers; fat, financially well-off Italian guys from North Jersey and New York, who are all trying to one-up each other and who think they're badasses because they watch the Sopranos and have a name that ends with a vowel. Many are not car people, nor do they know anything about the car they're standing next to. I think the muscle car folks and traditional rod and custom folks could get along just fine if they all shared the same mindset and simply had the desire to hang and be cool, but they don't. Lead East isn't the friendliest of places, from both fellow attendees and many of the folks running the show.

But if you can just chill with your friends, have a few (see many) drinks, cruise around a bit (when sober), bring food and tailgate, and stay at a hotel not on the premise, you can have a great time and keep it on the cheap. I'm looking forward to it.