Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where were you in '62?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Eric H

Eric H

That 60 looks sweet!!!

2. 61 chevy

61 chevy

looks like we had a inport, back then

3. JEM

JEM

Unlikely. The family wheels at that point consisted of a '52 Plymouth Cambridge sedan (flathead six, three-on-the-tree) and a '56 Ford Country Sedan (292, Ford-o-matic.)

My brother later put a dual 4bbl 312 in that '56, shortly before it was totaled while parked. He then went off and bought a Cortina, and when he got tired of waiting for the Ford parts operation to ship stuff over from Dagenham, he traded that for a Beetle and mostly owned VWs for the next 25 years.

The Plymouth stayed in the family, and dead-stock, until '71 when it was replaced by a '66 Falcon that later became my first car. I spent a fair amount of time thereafter trying to replicate bits of the 'Boss 302 Chassis Modifications' book in that Falcon.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  4. jimbousman

jimbousman

Cruising Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee in my "A" Coupe. (not pictured)

Attached Files:

5. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I was a jounior in high school in Alliance, NE. I spent my time cruising main st (Box Butte Ave...called it cruiin the Butte) I drove a 32 5 window, still have it today Worked at a drug store for gas money, pretty simple times.

Attached Files:

6. Lived in Gold Beach Oregon with my dad the boat racer.
    I'm the little guy @ 8 yrs old.

1962 Doug Bruce @ Gold Beach OR 1(Mark & Allen Boice).jpg 1962 Doug Bruce @ Gold Beach OR 3(& Allen Boice).jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  7. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I was 4, so on any given Saturday, probably watching cartoons

8. billmac

billmac

iam magooz uncle and i told magooz that he had to have brakes on that 32 with the olds in but he didnt take my advice,needless to say it didnt last to long

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

In summer of 62' I was 13 years old and 2-1/2 miles from where I am now and 50 years younger [no shit!]..I had a new bicycle [first new] , got to help my father farm and could buy a new amt car model every two weeks [still have them all] with my allowance..I had a Crosley field car that I got from a friend that moved and used to borrow gas from the tractor..I wouldn't go back...64' was way better...

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Nov. '62 I turned 25 and my son turned 1 yr. old. Was living about 2 miles from where I live now, and building a '53 Stude coupe, sbc power. Daily driver was Ford's best kept secret back when new, a '53 Tudor with the 215cid I6. Never found a stock flathead that could outrun it! Only mod was split manifold & twin pipes.
    Working 35 miles away at Fisher Body/Chevrolet plant in ATL. in body construction dept. Lots of overtime because the '62 Chevy sold like hotcakes. Pay was damn good, but on the assembly line you earned every nickel of it!
    Dave

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  11. In '62 Iwas thinking about my presence been made so in September there I was .

12. 32ratsass

32ratsass

In '62, was 16 years old, and a sophmore in high school. Had a '53 Studebaker sports coupe that I paid $200 dollars for, because it was really high mileage, (90,000). Couldn't drive it to school, but if all my chores were done, and I had gas and insurance money I got to go to town on Saturday nights, to cruise a bit, go to Henry's Hamburgers, and go to the drive-in movie. Would love to have a shot at doin' that all again!!!

13. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

I was ten and that summer I spent the first two months in the machine shop at dads auto parts store on Van Nuys Blvd assembling my first engine. A 299 CID Studebaker V8 engine. Lots of Granatelli parts and it found it's way into my dads 55 Commander. Car was bad a** and soon my dad couldn't find anyone to race on the street. The word was out. Great memories.
    Dan

14. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Two years old, saying my first words to my dad: "Ball two" (we were watching the Cubs on WGN).

15. Your dad raced a skip jack? How cool it that. The wife and I had an old one that we played with when she was pregnate with our girl. She banged the snout of it into a mostly submerged rock and knocked a hole in it. She shouted to me who was on the bank my feet are getting wet so I hollared gas it and she whacked it all the way open and pulled the hole up out of the water, she was cookin' when she beached it.

16. theclaw1

theclaw1

I was a senior in HS driving my mom's '60 Chevy, a 348 with 3 2's. I'll never know how I convinced her that that was the car we needed.

17. I was in the womb, and no I don't have a speech impediment!!!!

18. I was 14...split my free time washing dishes at the local hotel/resturaunt for 50 cents an hour, building models and trying to get my first car, a 29 ford coupe ready to drive...had no engine/trans yet but I was cleaning and painting all the parts I could unbolt.

Custom painted my bike that year but by 15, I was far too cool to ride a bike.

19. magooz

magooz

Wisenheimer
    I was 19 working as a carpenter at the fair and helped a crew to assemble the turn table that Futuristic Car was to be on. We couldn't wait to see it arrive after the table was done. It was weird to say the least, and a bit of a downer we all thought. MAGOOZ

20. suede shoe

suede shoe

I was 9, about 3rd grade...probably playing with my "creepy crawler" kit. :rolleyes:

I don't think I was quite into model cars yet.

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I was 7 and already loved cars!

22. blktie

blktie

I was a sophomore in HS. I worked in a local gas station where we actually pumped gas, washed windshields, checked tires and oil. Because the station was so close to home, I drove, illegally back and forth without a license. It was a good time![FONT=&quot][/FONT]

23. rockguy92

rockguy92

I was 7 years old and in the second grade at Prather Elementary School in Southern Indiana

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

It was really really dark and warm where i was, didnt see the light or a cool breeze til 63:D

25. justnicholas

justnicholas

My parents wern't even born in '62.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Did something keep poking you?:eek:

27. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First grade watching my Dad work on his 50 Ford. ( Later he bought a 62 Biscayne which was a family legendary lemon).

28. Ha had a friend/aquaintence that was a little on the simple side and his daughter had a black eye when she was born (I guess the doc uses a puller of some sort). We always used to tease him about that.

29. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

With the addition of a couple stadiums, and a couple more off ramps, this location is almost impossible to locate. Times keep on changing.

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's where they have the "Mail Boat" rides are now, right? I took the ride up to Paradise (Lodge) once as part of a motorcycle rally. Some fun. Gary