Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where were you in '62?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Aug 5, 2012.

1. 4t7flat

4t7flat

In 62 I was 16,and drove with my parents to Seattle in our 59 Merc. It was the seattle Worlds Fair that year,and I could not wait to vist the AMT booth at the fair. Model cars were really big at that time. I was also building my 30 A sedan that year,with my dad.

2. Smiliesafari

Smiliesafari

Interesting thread. Made me stop and think. In '62 I bought my first car. '49 Merc coupe. Was in the Marine Corp. In October was stationed onboard the USS Boxer during the Cuban Missle Crisis.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  3. Deuces

Deuces

You mean model kits like these???.... ;)

Attached Files:

4. badlefihand

badlefihand

In MSP, running a 59 pontiac bonnie 389. Working in Glass biz.22 years old.Damn those were the years.

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

I was 15...most likely thinking of a way to grab the neighbor girl's pussy......

2afbs likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a couple more....

Attached Files:

7. I was in Seattle, but don't remember the roads like that. I was either two or three, depending on when that picture was taken.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was 20, had built a '30 Model Cabriolet channeled over '32 rails, flattie, suicide front, '37 tube axle.
    I was working on a cherry '46 Club Coupe I bought from a bud for $12, he kept the flattie and tranny. I bought Ed Reath's old 331 Hemi, and a 6-71 blower from Rich Hansen (Hansen's Supercharger Service) in Long Beach, and made 3 trips back and forth to Moon Automotive in Santa Fe Springs...(from San Jose)
    Dean's wife FINALLY got me the right pulleys, (triple V Belts in those days)
    Chet Herbert roller, 4 stromberg 97s on top, insanely fast for a street car.
    Santa Clara police hated me. It'd go like this:

Cop: "The reason I stopped you..."
    Me: "The reason you 'stopped me' was that I pulled over. If I would have gassed it, you would have thought your motorcycle stopped and got off to see what was the matter."
    That was then, and there. LOL

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

maternity hospital born 62

10. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

1962... Half of me was living in a testicle in New Jersey. The other half of me was living in an ovary in the same state. It wasn't until 1973 that I decided it just didn't make sense to maintain two households and combined residences one sweaty night in October of that year. The move was easy as I had not yet amassed any hot rod parts or really anything up to that point. Nine months later I became established in my new career as a professional "Pain In the Ass", 38 years running. :D

11. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

I was 12 yrs old and visiting the World's Fair with my grandparents. The photo, however, doesn't depict Seattle. I believe the city is Portland, Oregon.

Mike

12. I was going to mention the same thing.

I was in San Francisco in '62. I spent week days in Daniel Webster school. Between 20th and 19th Street and Texas and Missouri streets. Funny how things have turned out, I used to live on Texas Street and had friends that lived on Missouri street. I now live in Missouri and have friends that live in Texas. ;)

13. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I was 16, living in Marysville Wa., had my license, and was driving Dad's '47 Dodge. Pumping gas for $1.00/hr. Good times.

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

In 1962, I was just graduated from HS, moving to Fremont, NE with my HS pal...we were moving to a big city from a town of 4500...had no idea the trouble I was about to get into with a four-year-old 1957 Chevy 150...but if you'd like to read about my escapades, pick up my first two books: "Bangin' Gears & Bustin' Heads" and "Fast Cars, 4-speeds and Fist-fights"...the early '60's were a real gas...!!!

R-

15. Rog,

Funny how it wasn't all American Grafitti in '62 isn't it. We used to ride our bikes down to the Tic Tok on the Embarcadero and watch 'em find races and run 'em right there. Lots of scuffling going on as well. $.11 would get you a bag of fries and a coke and you could sit right there and watch the goings on. Got so hot one night that the cops loaded me and Johnny up in a paddy wagon with our bikes and took us home.

Good times, even if you were a little kid. ;)

Good books by the way, I enjoyed them both.

16. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

A gleam in my 16 year old fathers eye. :D

17. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, I know where I was New Year's eve, 1962, about 11:45PM. I was getting a ticket in a '55 T-Bird by a state cop driving an un-marked '62 Chevy.

2afbs likes this.
  18. outlaw256

outlaw256

i was 7 yrs old in 62. wasnt worried about anyone or anything. just starting to build models. but the first ones i built wasnt cars, they were monsters. like frankinstien, werewolf dracula, etc.when i finally built all those i started on the cars.been building cars the rest of my life, only lots bigger and i can drive these.lol

19. Deuces

Deuces

Did you do any drinkin' son???... :cool:< cop

20. I am a year older than you no wonder I am so much wiser.

Hey I got a minor problem that maybe you can help me out with, I'll PM you.

21. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Right here in Akron and one year out of High School. I was driving a new '62 Vette that I worked 70hrs a week to pay for.

22. magooz

magooz

1962 was a very good year for every car guy I knew in Seattle, The Barrel (Keno's) on Rainier Ave South was the place to be Friday & Saturday nights. Louis in White Center and Burien also took center stage. Drag Racing in the street was a big hit, and Gasser Wars at the Drags. (Not so many police) in those days. My first car was a chopped Duce 5 window with a '53 Olds in it. Never forgot it, and paid $125 for it WOW has things changed. Now I'm 69 and still think of those days all the time. Still into cars, and it has served me well over the years along with all my childern, Grandchildern, and lots of friends.. This is our current ride we're building it's a '51 Henry- J 60's Gasser look (Street Rod) MAGOO Seattle, Wa.
    THOUGHT I WOULD ADD A FEW MORE PHOTOS AFTER THE GLASS WAS INSTALLED. NEXT IS WIRE IT, AND INTERIOR. THEN SHE'S DONE. SEE YOU THIS COMING SPRING IN THE NW.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  23. i wasnt even a glimmer in my moms eye in 62 i think SHE graduated in 65 i didnt breathe air till 70

i allways try to date pics on the cars in them ,as someone else posted

24. Jagman

Jagman

I was 13, and spent the summer on my back in a hospital bed, I had fallen out of a tree and broke..........everything.

But the next year - 14 - was much better. Got my first job, working at a soda fountain in a drug store, had some moeny, started racing slot cars and mowed lawns on weekends in the summer. Hung out at the pool all summer.

Much better!

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Cruisin, street racing and looking for hide on L.I.. NY.

26. cryobug

cryobug

I was in the first grade in Logan,Ohio.

27. 30panel

30panel

Driving my avatar, best escape from RUHS to the beach every day and racing any body, didn't always win but was Fun!
    Lions was the place to be.

28. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, I wouldn't mind takin' it fer a spin...
    Hand over the keys... :cool:

29. I can't remember '62 but in '63 I remember watching every moment of the Kennedy assassination coverage.

30. fms427

fms427

Was living in a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pa, going to high school, working in a gas station, and street racing, drag racing, and working on a hot 55 Chev hardtop - 58 Chev Anniversary Gold, 56 Packard taillights, 283, Duntov cam. An evenings entertainment was getting a couple bucks of 25 cent premium, heading uptown to Pittsbugh to find girls and races at the drive-ins. 409 Chevs, 406 Fords were fair game, but we looked the other way around the 426 Mopars....

Yep, youngsters, it really was like that back then..........:D